cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer rift sale great but....

inovator
Consultant
The permanent price reduction after summer was great. But why not offer a headset without the 2 senor or touch controls so it can be cheaper still. Especially for the people who needed to buy another rift like me. Now I'm stuck with a pair of touch controls & 2 sensors(already have 3) I don't need. Ahhhhh!
Imagine if bad luck  makes it that I need a 3rd rift. Like let's say my dog eats this one. Come on oculus be reasonable. You can't replace the lenses so give us a stand alone rift at a great price. 
36 REPLIES 36

Totally agree with this.  We should be able to buy any individual part we need.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Richooal
Consultant
Total agreement here too!
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
DISAGREE.

One of the MAJOR points in this sale is getting touch penetration/adoption up for developers. To offer a reduced price rift on its own would counter-act everything they are trying to achieve.

I 100% welcome the 'full bundle only' focus and deal, and it's how it should have been since day one.

If you want a 'cheap rift' as back up , buy the pack and sell the parts you don't like, at the summer sale price you are still getting a massive bargain. 

It's vital that developers (such as with Lone Echo) can be confident that every rift owner has ACCESS to touch even if they think they don't need it yet (Using wheels or hotas .. even a gamepad), to have touch bundled and there is to give developers freedom to create what they need without jumping through hoops or dumbing down to the lowest common denominator.

Soon the ratio of touch equipped rifts to bare HMDs will be massively in the former's favour (as it should be - this is VR not HMD + gamepad world).

If we are talking spare parts, then yeah oculus should sell them where they can, or do an RMA (even out of warranty) 'trade in' for your damaged rift for a replacement with a lone HMD. This shouldn't be in retail though as it would poison the VR well (again) with too many rifts out there with inadequate controls for developers choices.

EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

flexy123
Superstar
I wouldn't mind an extra Rift for $299 w/ one sensor for the wife 🙂 (Since I have two Touches and a sensor left over which I think is silly).

Idea (just throwing this in)...I see the point why it might be less optimal to make them freely available, I ALSO want Touch being the de-facto standard and "barebones" Rifts not "officially" available.

How about if such extras could be purchased by REGISTERED OCULUS USERS? Say: Everyone who has already registered a unit also has the option to purchase a standalone Rift w/ sensor?

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
I agree. I would be angry if my rift broke and I had to buy the whole package. Bad for the environment, bad for my pocket and just plain bad business.

Our oceans are filling with plastics fast and big companies need to take reponsibility as much as customers.

This practice is very wasteful. 

inovator
Consultant
Some great ideas. I like sharpfish opinion. At the very least we should be able to trade our messed up rift for a new one at a reduced price. It's irresponsible not having a solution to a lens that needs to be replaced.

Sharpfish said:

DISAGREE.

If we are talking spare parts, then yeah oculus should sell them where they can, or do an RMA (even out of warranty) 'trade in' for your damaged rift for a replacement with a lone HMD. This shouldn't be in retail though as it would poison the VR well (again) with too many rifts out there with inadequate controls for developers choices.

Pretty sure that's what we're talking about.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

edfoo
Explorer
Bundle will almost always work out to be cheaper. Oculus is selling the summer bundle for USD $399, but if you just want to replace for example your HMD because you have broken it, don't expect to just buy the HMD from Oculus spare part department for cheap, you will probably have to pay like USD $299. Which will make you wonder if you rather pay the extra USD $100 for the whole bundle instead.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer

Sharpfish said:

DISAGREE.

Pretty sure that's what we're talking about.

no it's not. don't change the target after you've fired the shot.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro