cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Command

conlan
Honored Guest
Defend your cities! Look in the direction you want to fire and press (1, 2, or 3) to launch a missile from that specific battery.

Download:

[WINDOWS]
[OSX]

11 REPLIES 11

drash
Heroic Explorer
Very very well done! I don't know if it's a feature of the original missile command gameplay to have
limited ammo per launcher, plus incoming missiles that fork into two, and bombers that fly by
, but you've got a great variety of threats to watch out for in this. Gets really crazy if you're not on the ball.

Thanks conlan!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

kindinformatiqu
Honored Guest
Very nice game!!!!!

conlan
Honored Guest
Thanks drash and kindinformatique! Yup, those are all in the original 1980 version 🙂

qster123
Honored Guest
Really enjoying this, good job!

I wonder what other classics will work this well.. 🙂

conlan
Honored Guest
"qster123" wrote:
Really enjoying this, good job!

I wonder what other classics will work this well.. 🙂

Hmm... maybe Centipede? Or a 1st person Space Invaders? 🙂

conlan
Honored Guest
For anyone who hasn't tried it yet, @AntoineR made a gameplay video here. Thanks again Antoine!

HiThere_
Superstar
How about turning the Rift Command game mechanics from 2D to 3D, with the user view placed at the turret level and looking upwards, and enemy missiles moving down towards it in 3 dimensions instead of 2 ?

Maybe with the base represented as a circle with 6 cities around it, and a (single) defense turret in the middle that can turn 360° to intercept the incoming missiles.

The aiming distance for counter missiles would be adjustable with + and - buttons, with a real time 3D graphical representation of how far the counter missile will travel before it explodes.

Still the basic Missile Command game mechanics, but this time in 3D.

As an alternative to adjusting the aiming distance with + and - buttons, the defense turret could be turned into more of a machine gun, where you adjust the shots for a direct hit on incoming missiles. Or you could keep the counter missile explosion mechanics but they would auto explode when they reach the right proximity to incoming missiles (removing the need to adjust the aiming distance manually). If the turret fires non stop (or auto fireswhen aimed right), you could even remove the need for a hand controller, just aiming the turret with the VR headset.

Maybe limit the turret rotation down to only 180°, with the 6 cities only spread over half a circle ahead of you, for a comfortable seated (wired) experience.

You could also go crazy with 2 Razer Hydra controlling one turret each, and the VR headset controlling the third one, allowing a single player to control 3 turrets.

conlan
Honored Guest
"Cyril" wrote:
How about turning the Rift Command game mechanics from 2D to 3D, with the user view placed at the turret level and looking upwards, and enemy missiles moving down towards it in 3 dimensions instead of 2 ?

Maybe with the base represented as a circle with 6 cities around it, and a (single) defense turret in the middle that can turn 360° to intercept the incoming missiles.

The aiming distance for counter missiles would be adjustable with + and - buttons, with a real time 3D graphical representation of how far the counter missile will travel before it explodes.

Still the basic Missile Command game mechanics, but this time in 3D.

As an alternative to adjusting the aiming distance with + and - buttons, the defense turret could be turned into more of a machine gun, where you adjust the shots for a direct hit on incoming missiles. Or you could keep the counter missile explosion mechanics but they would auto explode when they reach the right proximity to incoming missiles (removing the need to adjust the aiming distance manually). If the turret fires non stop (or auto fireswhen aimed right), you could even remove the need for a hand controller, just aiming the turret with the VR headset.

Maybe limit the turret rotation down to only 180°, with the 6 cities only spread over half a circle ahead of you, for a comfortable seated (wired) experience.

You could also go crazy with 2 Razer Hydra controlling one turret each, and the VR headset controlling the third one, allowing a single player to control 3 turrets.

Hey cyril, love this. The timing for intercepting missiles could be really tricky on a 3d field, but if the rockets auto-exploded when in close proximity then that would be more manageable.

conlan
Honored Guest
I love the hydra but have sort of lost hope on its reliability at the moment. I've found it to be a coin toss on whether Oculus + Hydra demos work properly together, even on PC. Maybe when my STEM controllers arrive I'll try a new version to include em.