cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus, please start retailing in my country (the Philippines).

firagabird
Adventurer
I, and thousands of other potential developers & enthusiasts, want to buy your product with a reasonable price & warranty policy.

Our customs Bureau is incredibly corrupt, and will do everything within their opportunity to extort the maximum amount of money from individuals bringing food from abroad. A brief check on one of our most popular online buying apps (Lazada) shows only 3 sellers with an Oculus Rift. All are selling it for $800-1000, on a discounted price, for just the headset.

And yet, there is a thriving VR development community over here, especially for a developing country. What do most of them use? The HTC Vive, because that's the only PC VR headset that actually retails here. The few Ultra enthusiasts who do own a Rift have bent over backwards to acquire one.

Most of us can't afford the sheer cost of getting a Rift through the current available means, much less take the risk of defective parts. Please enable us to develop for your platform, and for others to enjoy our and your vision of VR through Rift.
S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.
3 REPLIES 3

KenSniper
Adventurer
Heya FireBird, like you I too am from the SEA region, one way you can get the rift set is through a third party shipping company, like myus or vpost or something similar, I ordered my touch controllers through amazon that way, the down side is the shipping price might be slightly more pricey but i can bet it will not hit $800-$1000, just the touch controllers i got mine at around $50 shipping and had to add roughly $11 for the customs. Try also check australia maybe shipping it from there is cheaper, or the closest asian countries thats available

but do remember that since we're outside of their supported country list we will not get any warranty support or such, im not sure if the vive is any different in terms of warranty support, since they dont sell vives in my coutry either, only in our neighboring ones

firagabird
Adventurer

KenSniper said:

but do remember that since we're outside of their supported country list we will not get any warranty support

This is the huge dealbreaker for me, much more than the price. As an enthusiast, I wouldn't mind spending as much as $1000 just to acquire the Rift+Touch bundle, but the constant risk that it may be defective, or get damaged and need to be serviced, just isn't worth importing from another country IMO.

That's why it's so important for Oculus to start supporting more countries like mine. It's not just so more people can enjoy their products. There's an entire nation of untapped potential of talent. The Philippines produces some of the best people in the gaming and entertainment industries, and our mark can be seen from Disney/Pixar movies to AAA game titles.
S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.

KenSniper
Adventurer
yeah I know what you mean, tbh i actually didnt know at the time when i bought mine that i wont be getting any warranty support, but thankfully it worked well with no issues so far, almost one year in since i had mine

so I did some digging and apparently the Vive is also in the same boat that only the intended countries get the warranty, some guys did a work around by sending it to the US for repairs, but have them send it back to a US address which will then be shipped back to the owner, which means longer shipping and maybe pricey shipping cost too. sigh..