Audio stutter problems with people talking in Echo Arena — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Audio stutter problems with people talking in Echo Arena

Hi - I cannot hear what people are saying in Echo Arena as their speech is corrupted. I found a few others with the same problem but it doesn't seem common. Anyone know of a fix? Is it a codec issue? Here is a link to an example of it that was posted by someone in reddit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUAcCuD6ZLQ&feature=youtu.be
Tagged:

Comments

• loofychanloofychan Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I have this exact issue too and would love a solution!
  • MundelbertMundelbert Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Yea same problem here! Did you find any solution ??
  • wasyl00wasyl00 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Hello. Yes its my movie and I still suffer from this problem. As I watch reddit and this forum I see I'm not alone. I wish RAD looked at this issue.

• FlAsH-FlOoDFlAsH-FlOoD Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2017
    I tried reinstalling everything today. 18gb download later and!.....still the same issue. I also have another problem - the menu button to get to settings is not working either before or after reinstall. Is there any official channel to report bugs to?
    Brain Burst
    i heard someone clearly today for the first time! I asked where they were from to see if only people nearby were clear, and he was from canada. I'm from the UK so we were on different continents! That theory was quickly blown....
    NerveGear
    i heard someone clearly today for the first time! I asked where they were from to see if only people nearby were clear, and he was from canada. I'm from the UK so we were on different continents! That theory was quickly blown....
    Does it work for you now or was it just that one time?
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2017
    Few times I had similar occurance where I could understand one person, still slighly stuttery, but at least I could understand whats being said. It was such a great feeling to be able to communicoate and not being left out as usual :/ I imagine people think I'm some kind of weirdo who is not responding to simple questions.

I love Echo Arena alot so I run a bunch of tests, especially around different performance settings but this problem happens regardless, even at lowest ones possible. 

Here is another recording from yesterday.

Brain Burst
    It was just the one time. Everyone else before or since sounded like the video above. I assume it is a server issue rather than a problem with me, as if it worked once then it is definitely capable of working on my computer.
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2017
    It was just the one time. Everyone else before or since sounded like the video above. I assume it is a server issue rather than a problem with me, as if it worked once then it is definitely capable of working on my computer.
    Well I don't think that server side issue. All clients appear the same to the server so if the network connection is fine this should not happen only to selected users. 

Dunno, maybe there is something specyfic in our setups. Maybe some hardware part or piece of software installed or driver which doesn't play nice with the game engine - at least thats my opinion. 

I'm not really in the mood to reinstall the whole Win10 just to cover all bases as there is little for me to check at this point :/ 
    NerveGear
    edited August 2017
    wasyl00 said:
    Few times I had similar occurance where I could understand one person, still slighly stuttery, but at least I could understand whats being said. It was such a great feeling to be able to communicoate and not being left out as usual :/ I imagine people think I'm some kind of weirdo who is not responding to simple questions.

I love Echo Arena alot so I run a bunch of tests, especially around different performance settings but this problem happens regardless, even at lowest ones possible. 

It sounds exactly the same for me.

Which hardware parts do you use?

I have a I-7 6700k
    1070 Zotac
    and a Gigabyte Mainboard.

My drivers seem to be on the latest update (Thats at least what windows says).

Is there a support from echo arena which we can talk to?
    Brain Burst
    As far as I know this forum is the only way to contact support.

My specs:

I7-6700K 
    Asus 1080Ti FE
    Asus Maximus Hero VIII
    16GB RAM
    1TB SSD
    Both CPU and GPU slighly OCed under custom watercooling.
    Win10 with all latest drivers and updates
    Network connection in a region of 16Mbps-Down 5Mbps-Up
    My pings are stay normally between 22-35 with occasional matches around 65 but not very often.  
    Brain Burst
    My specs are

i5 3570k OCed to 4.2
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Gigabyte Z77 D3H
    8gb RAM
    512mb SSD
    Win 10
    14mbps down, 1mpbs up
    In the UK. Ping tends to be 40-60.

Brain Burst
    wasyl00 said:

It sounds exactly the same for me.

Which hardware parts do you use?

I have a I-7 6700k
    1070 Zotac
    and a Gigabyte Mainboard.

My drivers seem to be on the latest update (Thats at least what windows says).

Is there a support from echo arena which we can talk to?
    I found a link in the latest patch notes to report bugs (https://discordapp.com/channels/326412222119149578/327932288245432341). Looks like other people have reported it but with only general advice to restart modem or saying there may be other stuff taking up your bandwidth.
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2017
    Its strange. If there was a problem with network that would cause high pings and probably some visual lags, teleports etc. I've tried restarting my router anyway and made sure I dont have any QOS rules on my cable connection and I'm pretty sure I have unobstructed access to my whole bandwith, still only VOIP stutters...
    NerveGear
    wasyl00 said:
    Its strange. If there was a problem with network that would cause high pings and probably some visual lags, teleports etc. I've tried restarting my router anyway and made sure I dont have any QOS rules on my cable connection and I'm pretty sure I have unobstructed access to my whole bandwith, still only VOIP stutters...
    Yea i dont think it is the network either. 

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,467 Volunteer Moderator
    Have you guys tried fiddling with the Rift Audio parameters? If you right-click on the volume icon in your Windows taskbar, and open the Playback Devices dialogue, you can select Rift Audio and edit Properties. In the Advanced tab, you could try setting the sample rate down to 44100 Hz (CD Quality) instead of 48000 (DVD Quality). I believe that has helped some people who were having audio stuttering problems in other games.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Brain Burst
    nalex66 said:
    Have you guys tried fiddling with the Rift Audio parameters? If you right-click on the volume icon in your Windows taskbar, and open the Playback Devices dialogue, you can select Rift Audio and edit Properties. In the Advanced tab, you could try setting the sample rate down to 44100 Hz (CD Quality) instead of 48000 (DVD Quality). I believe that has helped some people who were having audio stuttering problems in other games.
    Nope, just tested it. Thanks for suggestion but to be honest ingame sound itself is fine only transmitted voice stutters so not sure how lowering overall sound quality would helpin this case.
    NerveGear
    edited August 2017
    nalex66 said:

I will definitly try that but i dont think thats the problem.
    Thank you anyways! 

Edit: 
    Didnt work for me.
    Brain Burst
    I managed to talk to 3 people with clear VoIP today in the arena lobby, but it gradually broke up and turned garbled within about a minute. Which was odd.
    NerveGear
    I managed to talk to 3 people with clear VoIP today in the arena lobby, but it gradually broke up and turned garbled within about a minute. Which was odd.
    Did you change someting? (before you talked to the 3 people)
    Brain Burst
    No, nothing. This is why i don't think it is an issue with my computer, as it occasionally works.
  • loofychanloofychan Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    This is so frustrating! Please help us devs!
    Brain Burst
    I had a proper conversation for the first time today. I was in a team of 3 and halfway through the match the other team disappeared. We floated around chatting, I could hear the other 2 people perfectly. It all went garbled again when back in the lobby, even with the same people I'd just been talking to. It's obviously to do with the number of people for some reason.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Please disable any software that may conflict, such as Asus Sonic Suite or AI Suite, VoiceMeeter, or other such programs. If that does not help, please submit a support ticket. Thanks.
    https://support.oculus.com
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2017
    Thanks. That got me thinking. I don't have any of those programmes or any that i could think of that might cause a problem. However i started reading about general VoIP issues to see what programmes could interfere with VoIP and there was a recommendation to add a QoS rule (quality of service) to the router.

I have a netgear router and you can add a rule to prioritise traffic through certain ports. I saw the post here which listed port numbers https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/56137/what-ip-and-port-ranges-to-i-need-to-add-as-exclusions-to-my-firewall, and added a separate rule for each of the server ports as Highest Priority, and added the other two ports as High Priority.

It now works! I'm in the lobby and can hear people talking clearly. I then tested it by turning the whole of QoS off in the router and the lobby voices went garbled again. So, I think i may have fixed my problem. I'll say if it comes back.

edit - hmmm, maybe not!
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2017
    Thanks. That got me thinking. I don't have any of those programmes or any that i could think of that might cause a problem. However i started reading about general VoIP issues to see what programmes could interfere with VoIP and there was a recommendation to add a QoS rule (quality of service) to the router.

I have a netgear router and you can add a rule to prioritise traffic through certain ports. I saw the post here which listed port numbers https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/56137/what-ip-and-port-ranges-to-i-need-to-add-as-exclusions-to-my-firewall, and added a separate rule for each of the server ports as Highest Priority, and added the other two ports as High Priority.

It now works! I'm in the lobby and can hear people talking clearly. I then tested it by turning the whole of QoS off in the router and the lobby voices went garbled again. So, I think i may have fixed my problem. I'll say if it comes back.

Oh damn, I cant wait to get home and try it. I too have Netgear D7000 router but I swear I switched off QOS completely to avoid problems. Can you screenshot it or explain what exactly did you change in the router settings.

Edit: Nope. Adding highest QOS rules to mentioned ports did not change my experience. 

However, spending some time while reconnecting to many lobbies I noticed that the quality degrades with growing number of players. The voice chat is almost good when there is only one to three other players in the same lobby. Did anyone of you noticed that? Or is it just me :smile:
    Brain Burst
    I have the same router. It did work for a bit, and it is definitely a bit better now, but still most of the time i can't hear people still. Arse....
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2017
    One thing left is to try to hook up my ISP's rubbish modem+router combo thing to see if that is that Netgear routers fault. 
    Brain Burst
    I was thinking the same - i have a free router too. I wonder if other people with issues have netgear routers. I could hear you really clearly earlier BTW, so i guess you are broadcasting perfectly well. It is the downloading side that is playing up which is strange as it is much faster than the upload speed. I ran some network monitoring just now and my connection was nowhere near being maxed out during the game. It is now clearer in the lobby, and occasionally in matches it's OK, so it's a bit better. Still mostly crap.....
    Brain Burst
    Just to say I tried the plusnet router i had and it was the same as the Netgear router. In fact it might have been a bit worse as it didn't have QoS setup.