New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Audio stutter problems with people talking in Echo Arena

Comments

• wasyl00wasyl00 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Just to say I tried the plusnet router i had and it was the same as the Netgear router. In fact it might have been a bit worse as it didn't have QoS setup.
    I did the same thing today. Switched to another router and the result is the same. I think we can rule out network issue. While testing I was running speed tests. I think my connection speed would't cause that problem either. 

I will report this problem to Oculus support tomorrow. 
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2017
    Hey Flash. Can you test your VOIP now? Dunno, but after mysterious server downtime earlier today my VOIP started working great now. I keep connecting to new lobbies and everyone sounds great. Some chops here and there but its like new experience for me ;)
  • FlAsH-FlOoDFlAsH-FlOoD Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    That's great! Thanks for letting me know.  I'm pleased yours seems fixed.  I was on it about 9pm last night UK time with the same problems, but will try it again tonight. Fingers crossed....
    Brain Burst
    argghh...still the same for me :(
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2017
    argghh...still the same for me :( 
    No worries, it looks like I've been prematurely optimistic. Today I got a usual stutter :# 

I swear yesterday it was completely different. I was actually able to talk to people, it was such a blast. I couldn't believe it so I tried several times and every time was quite alright. That day only showed to me how much I'm missing due to that problem. 

I've got an open ticket with Oculus support atm and going through usual stuff like reinstall and repair. Well, let see how it goes... I will report if I find anything.
    Brain Burst
    Sorry to hear that :/ I was the same when I added QoS and I could hear clearly for a bit. It was great and I thought all was fixed, but it just made the crash back to reality harder! I'll open a ticket up tonight too.
  • MundelbertMundelbert Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Sorry to hear that :/ I was the same when I added QoS and I could hear clearly for a bit. It was great and I thought all was fixed, but it just made the crash back to reality harder! I'll open a ticket up tonight too.
    Is such a ticket linkable? If yes would you give us a link (:?
    Otherwise it would be awesome if you tell us if there is something new.
    (a friend of mine tryed the game too and had the same problem. He is from austria too.)
    Brain Burst
    I guess here:

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/885981024820727/?helpref=hc_fnav

I've not done it yet but will now.

• MundelbertMundelbert Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    My audio was fine for the first time today. 

- I didnt change anything 
    - ther were only 4 ppl in the lobby

I will try again this week

Brain Burst
    Small update from me. I’m still going through Oculus support process. I’m waiting for their response after I sent bunch of zipped logs for them to analize. 

Despite the issue I still actively play Echo Arena. The game is just too good to be discouraged by this problem :) I use it as my evening exercise session. 

I noticed that choppy voice problem is directly related to amount of people who are currently connected to specyfic lobby or arena. I can get clear voice sound in the match when there are only two of us in the team. The moment third guy gets connected the chat becomes choppy. Similar happens in the lobby.

Brain Burst
    I have an update! It's disappointing though :(

I got the final response from oculus:

Thanks for your patience on this.

Unfortunately, our teams didn't really have any sort of solid answer for why you might be running into this.

If you're able, we recommend reaching out to the developer of the game (Ready At Dawn) to see if they have any ideas.

I'm very sorry that we're not able to provide more assistance here.

We greatly appreciate your understanding.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

I have already tried contacting the devs on their discord channel but they didn’t respond to me.

I have another plan though. I was looking at how to investigate where the problem is and came across this software:

https://www.pingplotter.com/products/free.html

Does anyone know how i can find out what the IP address of the Echo Arena server i get connect to is? I think i need the server IP to be able to see where in the chain things are going wrong. Is there a run command or something that will tell me that?

Thanks!
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2017
    What a bummer. I'm still waiting for them to reply, right now expecting the same answer :(

Good to know that your still trying to investigate the issue. I understand what are you trying to achieve but thing is my ping is really good. When I connect to the local servers I get around 22ms which is a lot better than people I'm playing with. Still, they are able to communicate with each other without problems but me (with the lowest ping) - I cant understand a thing ?!? There is no logic in this?!? Also why we are not getting any visual connection problems like weird warping of things but only the bloody voice chat chop like hell. 
    Brain Burst
    i don't know but my understanding is that VoIP problems can be to do with packet loss etc. so the speed and response may look good but data quality problems may be going on as it passed down the chain. I want to see if this is true and if so where. But yeah, no other problems with anything else connection wise.

I have also been trying other things with my router like setting the default DMZ server to my computer which is like having the firewall off (it didn't help). I have just had a chat with my ISP too but they couldn't help either and said VoIP problems are usually to do with NAT settings. Well the DMZ thing should have bypassed that anyway so i don't think it is a port issue.

I have also tried closing every other open programme service but it made no difference.

My ping always starts really high (like 400, 500 or even 999) and then by the end of the game is like 24. The weird thing is that it is always the same pattern whether i'm connecting to north america or europe (judging by the players). I apparently end up with the best ping of everyone even though i am on a different continent which seems fishy. Is your ping still really low on north american servers too?

Anyway my next thing is to try the ping tracing. How do i find the IP of the server i'm connected to - anyone know?
    Brain Burst
    just read this in the discord chat about someone complaining that voip works in rec room but not echo arena:

RAD_DavidN - 09/21/2017

@LeftStep there maybe a bug on our end but the only time I've seen the issue was from either 1. poor server performance, 2. dropped packets, 3. dropped frames
    We can go in depth diagnosing each issue one at a time
    The reason other games maybe clear is because we focus on shorter latency for our voip rather then buffer up voice like other games do because we want to give team mates quicker reaction when someone says 'on you!'

Leftstep said he was running a constant 90fps. interesting to hear that they have gone aggressive on the voip.
    Brain Burst
    Intersting. Thanks!

My pings are usually around 22-24 when I play locally. When I’m being connected to US servers (I know becuse I start recognising players in each geographic zone) my pings are around 80-100. Voip sounds exactly the same everywhere (UK/US)- weird. 

I fiddled with my router before (including DMZ and QOS) but that changed nothing. I wouldn’t blame it anyway. Don’t forget we swapped and tested ISPs router before and it was the same so I would exclude it. 

I wish to be able to test EchoA on different network but I don’t have any mates living close enough for me to justify dragging my PC+Rift for testing. That would exclude hardware(pc) or network(ISP) problem.

I think I was adjusting the packet sizes in the past according to Netgears instruction but I will look again. What the best way to monitor these? 

• LeftStepLeftStep Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've had the problem since the first beta period, and while my soul weeps zero-G tears, I'm just so happy I'm not the only one!  
    ~ Beside You In Time ~
    Brain Burst
    Whilst we are lonely robots in the arena, at least we are lonely together!
  • xorpheusxorpheus Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same issue here.  Considering changing my avatar name to i.cant.hear.you
  • xorpheusxorpheus Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    nalex66 said:
    Have you guys tried fiddling with the Rift Audio parameters? If you right-click on the volume icon in your Windows taskbar, and open the Playback Devices dialogue, you can select Rift Audio and edit Properties. In the Advanced tab, you could try setting the sample rate down to 44100 Hz (CD Quality) instead of 48000 (DVD Quality). I believe that has helped some people who were having audio stuttering problems in other games.
    This actually made a huge difference in my case. I don't have much time for this game so it's hard to test thoroughly but after changing that setting I could hear other players clearly and my ping was over 200ms.  It sounds like the problem may be related to several parameters, not just one thing, because others have said changing the sample rate didn't help.  

If the default setting for the Rift audio device causes problems why is it the default?  I doubt there is a perceptible difference in sound quality between 44,100 and 48,000.  What probably matters more is that the sampling and playback rates are the same otherwise the stream must be resampled in order to play it back at the correct speed.

Another thing I noticed is the enormous network bandwidth that this game requires.  Seems to be about 300k per player.  5 players maxes out my internet connection.  Probably means actual matches will be impractical for me due to lag.
    Brain Burst
    edited October 2017
    I think I resolved the issue of the stuttering VOIP and the news is not good guys:/

As I mentioned a few replies above I wondered if I could test my setup on the completely separate internet provider. So what I did, I connected my smartphone to PC via USB cable and set Personal Hotspot in phone's options (at the same time disabled my on-board NIC). As I have decent LTE connection here everything worked like charm. When I connected to the lobbies and arenas one by one my VOIP was perfect. So in the end its my connection is to blame. I must be dropping packets somewhere on the way I think :| Now I need to dig if this can be improved somehow. 

Try this method if you have an option. Flash I think you're similarly on Plusnet which may be our culprit. Any ideas how to proceed. 

Hell, we need to sort it out man otherwise we will be missing on upcoming Echo Combat too if they decide to use the same VOIP system. 

Edit: Fun fact: My pings were much worse when playing using phones connection (in a region of 100-150), still VOIP worked flawlessly.  
    Brain Burst
    Below are two test clips I recorded when I was swapping between my ISP and Phone connection in matter of minutes. You can clearly hear the difference. I uploaded in rubbish video quality to save time so focus on the sound which should be good to hear. 

ISP connection via cable - VOIP stutter badly 

Phone LTE connection via USB - VOIP perfect

• stenjastenja Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I'm having the exact same issue.  Been playing since beta, and it's not intermittent, it's always scrambled exactly like the youtube videos already posted.  Based on what I've seen in this thread, I've tried:

- Changing my Rift's format from 48000Hz to 44100Hz
    - Turning of my firewall completely
    - Restarting my router (Netgear R7000)
    - My motherboard has 2 NICs built in, so I tried both
    - I ran a speedtest, I very seriously doubt it's a problem with my connection (1ms ping (usually displays as ~20 in game), 896.75 Mbps up, 934.97 Mbps down) - link
    - I was already at 90 fps, but I turned all the settings down to the lowest to ensure it wasn't a frame dropping problem

At this point I'm out of things to try.  Voice sounds fine in every other game, flat or VR (Rec Room, Dead and Buried, Bridge Crew).  The game is good enough that I continue to play it and have fun, but this problem is extremely annoying.  Being able to hear that your teammates are trying to talk to you, but not being able to make out 80% of what they're saying is almost worse than having no voice chat at all.

• tekanotekano Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I've had no  voice since beginning either. On fibre uk connection
    Brain Burst
    I found out that Wasy's ISP is Plusnet, which is mine too. I've talked to them about it but they say it is nothing on their end, but it doesn't seem to be anything else either so they are still the most likely candidate for the problem. Which ISP are you guys with?
    NerveGear
    I'm on a fiber connection through a local Chicago provider.  It's interesting that tekano is also on fiber, but it seems pretty strange that the stutter would correlate with a fast connection
    NerveGear
    In case anyone is wondering, the patch today with improved netcode does not help with this problem
    Brain Burst
    i know....i got into the lobby yesterday and could hear people so i thought "yay, it's accidentally been fixed!". Then more people joined and it all broke up into stutter.....grrrrr.

I changed my telephone socket recently to one with a built in broadband filter. It's meant to make the broadband quality better. Didn't fix the EA voices though :(
  • GloozyGloozy Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    On my side I also have these sound problems (which haven't disappeared since the new patch), obviously less than some players since I can still hear them despite the stutter. I have a fiber connection with a ping around 20 in the best possible conditions, and the the sound is still scrambled.
  • BanthanBanthan Posts: 4
    NerveGear

Hi all

A bit late to the party, but I also have this problem - exactly the same stuttering as in the video.

I'm on a network cable connection running at a steady 22-25 mbps - not the fastest in the world but certainly capable enough!

I have no other audio problems with any other Oculus games e.g. in Dead n Buried I often have four-way conversations with absolutely zero problems.

Has anyone found a solution? 

Thanks 

• BanthanBanthan Posts: 4
    NerveGear

Oh, and I'm on PlusNet........