cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If we don't start to stand up now and speak out against it, it will only get worse.

Mad-A
Honored Guest
The fact that these games are charging 40-50 dollars for games that only last 2-3 hours is insane. If we keep paying for it, it will only continue or get worse. We need to stand as a community and express the displeasure together. I love Oculus, I'm here to support them until the end, but I can't keep buying these games for that much and being done in one dang day!
72 REPLIES 72

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Way ahead of you, I've voted with my wallet repeatedly since getting the rift. That's the only vote anyone pays attention to. So far, I've bought zero games off OH as they are either massively over priced, game types I have no interest in (see Mechwarrior: Backseat Driver Edition, err, I mean Archangel) or outright broken in OH (such as Dirt Rally). On the other hand, I have bought a few VR exclusives from steam in addition to having a decent number of VR supported games from steam and elsewhere. For me: 2 hour game = $5 or less, 10 hour game = $20, $50+ game = 50+ hours. That doesn't mean a 2 hour game at $50 is a bad game. It can be the most amazing game ever made but it's still a bad value.

Edit: I should point out that I check the new releases on OH almost daily for something worth getting. The problem is, it just isn't there.

CrashFu
Consultant
The fact that other platforms are charging 4-5 dollars for games that take dozens of people, vast sums of money and several years to make is insane. If we keep refusing to pay a fair price for it, it will only continue or get worse.  We need to stand as a community and express our support of hard-working game developers together.   I love Oculus, and I will support them until the end, because they've created a platform where game developers don't have to sell their content for the price of a goddamn cheeseburger just to compete with uncurated garbageware.

P.S.  Put this in perspective: A copy of a new-release movie costs $20-30 and typically lasts 1.5 hours. $40-50 for an interactive, highly-immersive VR experience that lasts "only 4 hours" is not worth a proportional amount to you?

P.P.S.  Some of us, particular gamers and VR-users with full-time jobs, or other responsibilities or hobbies, really appreciate shorter, higher-quality games and experiences these days.  Especially since the "long" ones usually don't actually have 10x as much content, but rather the same amount of content with 90% time-wasting filler. Somebody explain to me, when did the purpose of games and other entertainment products stop being "to entertain us" and start being "to waste as much of our time as possible?"  You want to do something boring for 40 hours, I'm sure you've got housework piling up, go do that.

P.P.P.S. These days I'm on a serious budget as far as the AAA releases are concerned, too.  Do what I do in the hypothetical situation that I ever finish all the short games I have:  pad the time out between those games with the large quantity of free and or exceptionally replay-able content available.

P.P.P.P.S.  Anyone else notice that the newest Steam-shilling Oculus-hater on the forums LITERALLY has the word "Baiter" in his user-name?  Not a fan of subtlety, I guess :smirk:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

vannagirl
Consultant
there are plenty of great bargains in home,

also they run flash sales all the time, like all the time
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

jayhawk
Superstar

the new releases on OH almost daily for something worth getting. The problem is, it just isn't there.

Your reply is a bit overly negative, as in 'why did the dude even buy an Oculus then' kind of negative.

BiteyThing
Protege
I'm guessing that VR titles don't sell anywhere close to as many copies as desktop games do. If that's the case, many studios would have to cut production time (quality) by quite a bit to make it worth their while... Definitely won't get better if people stop buying games  😕

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Two choices for people that can't afford $40 for a game:

1) Wait for the game to go on sale. If you wait long enough even the $40 games can be purchased for a mere $10.

2) Get a side-job. Wash some dishes, cut some grass, etc.

Oculus gives away many quality free games that are either on par or better than most of the VR titles both on OH and Steam. Between the free games and the ongoing discounts... complaints like this seem to stem from a very misplaced sense of entitlement, where the concept of "first world problems" is taken to new heights. At least in my opinion.

Fuzatron said:

I'm guessing that VR titles don't sell anywhere close to as many copies as desktop games do. If that's the case, many studios would have to cut production time (quality) by quite a bit to make it worth their while... Definitely won't get better if people stop buying games  😕

Development studios are currently gaining their profits from investment funding. This even applies to free games like Robo Recall (they received a few extra million to make sure it was a temporary platform exclusive). This is needed because the VR Industry is in its infancy. If people want cheaper games then they should wait to invest in VR until a Gen 2 or Gen 3 HMD hits the market. Or stick to Mobile VR.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar

CrashFu said:

The fact that other platforms are charging 4-5 dollars for games that take dozens of people, vast sums of money and several years to make is insane. If we keep refusing to pay a fair price for it, it will only continue or get worse.  We need to stand as a community and express our support of hard-working game developers together.   I love Oculus, and I will support them until the end, because they've created a platform where game developers don't have to sell their content for the price of a goddamn cheeseburger just to compete with uncurated garbageware.

I think I've only bought one game for $5, it was Goat Simulator. A cheeseburger is about what it was worth imho. I'm pretty sure the devs of it would appreciate that analogy too. :tongue:

Regardless, the complaint is not that games cost $50+, it's that VR exclusives at that price are not anywhere near the same quality of a non-VR exclusive of the same price. That is a perfectly legitimate concern. I understand that we are a tiny minority. Steam claims we are less than 0.5% of total PC gamers and that includes Vive and OSVR users. Paying a bit more is certainly expected but that doesn't mean we should accept $50 2 hour tech demos using an off the shelf game engine. There is a lot of middle ground there.

On an unrelated note, my name is reference to "The Witcher" (2007). I've been using it for many years.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
People were complaining about the price of entry for VR since its release. I remember when Oculus had their Autumn sale last year, and people still demanded a follow-up Black Friday Sale:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/457036#Comment_457036

And my reply was no different:
Wow... if some folks spent as much time doing odd jobs - like mowing a
few yards or washing some dishes - as they do posting online about free
handouts, you'd have enough money to remove the need for a discount.
Goodness.

1) The year is 2016, VR Costs $800 with a handful of free games: people complain about price.

2) The year is 2017, VR Costs $400 and the number of free titles has tripled: people complain about price.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
So this is your first post!!

Why did you buy a rift?

How much is the average ps4 or xbox one game again?

Seriously get a grip!, there's loads of good stuff to get on the store, even if your on a budget and like @Zenbane said, if you really want a game and don't wanna pay full price, then there's 2 sales a year and plenty of other promotions all the time (or you can get it from steam)

Your not getting a 2d flat screen game anymore, your getting a 3d game where your actually totally in the game and with the right setup you will be completely immersed like no other game you've played before, trust me, i've had pretty much every console going and have been gaming for 25 years and playing the games in vr now is on another level and worth every penny

I also prefer games that don't drag on for ages cause if your like me and have a job and a family then you don't get that much time to enjoy your games anyway, so I would rather have a shorter game which is polished and high quality, days are gone when you would buy one game and play it for 6 months or so (unless it's zelda), there's just too many games and not enough time!

A lot of us on here have been with oculus for the last 5 years or so and aren't gonna pull out now and stop buying games, the prices are more than fair!
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit