New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Initial Oculus setup does not detect my two touch controllers

mikeairhartmikeairhart Posts: 2
NerveGear
On the setup screen, "Set up your input devices," the option for Touch controllers is disabled. when I click on Touch, the hover message "Touch requires at least two sensors" appears. But I have two controllers sitting right next to my headset. If I put them in pairing mode, the LEDs blink appropriately but they are not detected by either the headset or my computer's Bluetooth settings. 

I tried changing the batteries -- same result.

Any suggestions? Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 987
    3Jane
    edited August 2017
    The error message is referring to sensors, not Touch Controllers. You need to have 2 sensors connected and working before you can use the controllers. The sensors are the camera-like devices on stands.

The Touch Controllers are detected by those sensors, not the headset or your PC's bluetooth.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • mikeairhartmikeairhart Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited August 2017
    Thank you for your help.

Both sensors were connected. I'm not sure why one wasn't being detected. Eventually, I removed one non-Oculus device from my USB 3.0 ports. Is it possible that non-Oculus USB 3.0 devices interfere with sensor detection?

It also seems that sometimes I could skip past the incomplete controller configuration and sometimes I could not. On an occasion when I could skip the config, the controllers worked when I donned the headset. Upon rerunning Oculus later, I was required to complete the setup again; this time, the controller config proceeded normally.

I wish this were more helpful to others, but it is what it is.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 987
    3Jane
    Apparently there is a need to spread the load on the USB Ports.
    Oculus recommend no more than 2 sensors on USB 3.0.

You already have the headset, 2 sensors and "non Oculus devices" on USB 3.0 so that might be the problem.
    If your other devices need to be on USB 3.0, then you can move one of your sensors to USB 2.0 and it will be okay. 
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • colshacolcolshacol Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Old thread, I know, but I wanted to post this in case anybody encountered the issue in the future:

I just got a Rift. I had this issue. I fixed it by clicking the "skip" button when it says "Touch requires at least two sensors", and then clicking "try again".
  • ArcticuKitsuArcticuKitsu Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    Well, I'm having this trouble that everything seems to work when I try to calibrate it through both the 'Remote' & 'Controller' side of things (I don't have either, yet it reads everything fine in the headset part), yet refuses to work on the Touch side of things saying it needs "at least 2 sensors to work". It reads fine in the headset, yet can't really 100% complete the set-up because it's not Touch controller oriented. It gave me an error of 8602 which led to this whole issue from VRChat a few days back, yet now it's fine....... Everything is fine sensor wise (no dud VR headset), except for the whole Touch controller configuration.  Every time I scan the sensors they're fine, yet refuses to read the Touch controllers......... I can't do anything.

I hate Rift's application because I'm stuck in a loop unable to do anything. I can't run the 'Oculus-Drivers' application that was suggested..... I'm so baffled it's driving me mad. All I want to do is register the Touch controller yet nothing wants to work. I can't even run any VR games (black screen headset) because it needs Rift application's green signal to proceed to the next step (or something along those lines). 

I"m so angry I want to break something...... I don't know what, but I will break something blaming it all on Rift's stupid software unless something is fixed...... I WISH I could go to the main menu in the first screen on this page:
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/pairing-touch-controllers/

Also, what "try again" option? I see no "try again"......
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    Well, I guess I won't be using my Rift headset until something is changed in Rift's software so it either
    1) Forcefully recognize the Touch controllers (Internally or external assistance, or allows SteamVR to do this for me)
    2) Allow you to exit to the main menu of the Oculus app so you can access the store and such. I can't do a god damn thing. It's stuck in the loop that you're not allowed to do anything. Needs an "exit" button.

Maybe it is my sensors, yet it worked fine when I blocked the sensors on both sides when pointing the controllers at the screen + in the Oculus Remote side in the headset portion. Everything registers. 

I might as well have a dud with how horribly janky the software is that I'm not very happy right now. I spent many hours trying to troubleshoot unable to do anything last night.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited April 2018
    When you get to the step where it asks you to hold the controller to your eye and pull the trigger, be sure the Touch ring is visible by both censors at the same time. You can also try different USB ports for the sensors, and USB 2.0 tends to be more compatible. You can try updating your USB drivers on your system. Also, it's possible there is some hardware problem with the sensor, so you should contact us. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
     Yeah, the ring is visible. It registers. Everything works when it asks for the controller play area calibration + the headset part, yet it just doesn't register the Touch controllers when we get to that part of the set-up. I can't do anything with the Touch controllers. It forgot what a Touch controller is.

Yeah, I'll finally contact you guys in that link now that I simmered down + have more time on my hands again.