New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at High-end VR Racing Sim

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,975 Valuable Player
P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
Tagged:

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Pretty cool.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RolzRolz Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    *sigh* when you have a shitload of money to buy a real sports car you get this instead... hopefully sometime in the future motion setups like this will be affordable for the common man...
    very nice indeed...
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

You can get pretty close to this with a budget rig, Rift, racing wheel, and a ButtKicker. Not the full motion-sim experience, but you could probably build the whole thing for under $1,500 which is fairly affordable.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,975 Valuable Player
    You can get pretty close to this with a budget rig, Rift, racing wheel, and a ButtKicker. Not the full motion-sim experience, but...
    To be honest, "pretty close" is not close enough if you do not have full-motion. I understand that we have to placate the home users, but this is a really great racing sim using CV1's and I think it should be the standard... as was once said, this is not about "good enough VR!" 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RolzRolz Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    You can get pretty close to this with a budget rig, Rift, racing wheel, and a ButtKicker. Not the full motion-sim experience, but you could probably build the whole thing for under $1,500 which is fairly affordable.
    my next step is the motion rig... got everything else already :)

CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    Morgrum said:
    Rigs are comming down in price I have a 3 axis driving flight chair with 4 buttkickers and all told it was about $3000 including the hotas and driving wheel/pedals.
    This is Elite Dangerous.
    Eve Valk is causing me some issues lately.

Certified hardcore gamer. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,156
    Wintermute
    edited August 2017
    kevinw729 said:
     To be honest, "pretty close" is not close enough if you do not have full-motion.
    Yes. There's still a big difference between my $1,000 chair + buttkicker setup and the $50,000 full motion rig I was using a few weeks back.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,672 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    Morgrum said:
    Rigs are comming down in price I have a 3 axis driving flight chair with 4 buttkickers and all told it was about $3000 including the hotas and driving wheel/pedals.
    This is Elite Dangerous.
    Eve Valk is causing me some issues lately.

Certified hardcore gamer. 
    I have issues.
    WAAAGH!
    edmg said:
    kevinw729 said:
     To be honest, "pretty close" is not close enough if you do not have full-motion.
    Yes. There's still a big difference between my $1,000 chair + buttkicker setup and the $50,000 full motion rig I was using a few weeks back.
    That's true. The difference is $49,000.  B)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,130 Valuable Player
    my mate is truly loaded. IF i had his cash i would be all over the above and to hell if it is meant to be for arcades or not.  sadly he is not interested in gaming :(
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,990 Volunteer Moderator
    Shame they didn't spend some of the price on hand tracking.
    Leap motion finger tracking with morph to baked poses when grabbing the wheel would be far more realistic than the scripted arm animations in that game. A fair amount of your view in a racing game is taken up by the wheel and arms.

edited August 2017
    kojack said:
    Shame they didn't spend some of the price on hand tracking.
    There is a project for "conductive resistors" to be placed on the steering wheel, on one project I saw, so the game will know roughly where the players hands are and represented them appropriately, but your right it needs to be done.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,990 Volunteer Moderator
    From my own simple test:

The finger tracking drops when obscured by the wheel, but otherwise it works pretty well. When the hands are against the wheel you could just auto wrap the fingers around the wheel.

This would also be an interesting way to map real world and virtual world coordinates. Grab the wheel, calculate where it is based on leap motion coords, then adjust the game so the virtual wheel is in the same spot (or adjust the camera).

Nice demo.

Yes a number of HMD designs for our sector incorporate Leap Motion (such as The VOID and others). Its seems that this is the way most want to go regarding hand tracking.

For a commercial racing simulator, I agree that hands on stick and wheel are essential to ensure immersion is not broken. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Joe931Joe931 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Honestly I'm not 100% satisfied with my cv1 and G27 wheel because lack of the full motion seat. 
    You cannot feel the bumps on the road and downhill/uphill.
    I was wondering if there are affordable products in the market.
    edited August 2017
    @kevinw729

any chance you could post thoughts on this please
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/551583#Comment_551583

when i 1st saw the video you posted i was blown away, but on reading the above, i looked at it again closely and it is true... the movment DOES seem to be massively over the top because the camera is stationary where as in reality the movement is not as pronounced due to the car moving independently from the person sitting in the seat.

not sure if i am wording myself very well.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Thats my plan, i got myself a seat out of a subaru and going to build my own sim pit.

Although tilting an motion simulation would good.

The only issue of course with the tilt is the effect it has on the positioning of the headset. Theres no way currently of offsetting that without some pretty hardcore api manipulation which i doubt will happen for home use. Maybe an arcade venture could yield the answer to this and then filter down to us mere mortals but then we are up against the whole commercial use argument about the rift.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    @kevinw729

any chance you could post thoughts on this please
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/551583#Comment_551583

when i 1st saw the video you posted i was blown away, but on reading the above, i looked at it again closely and it is true... the movment[sp] DOES seem to be massively over the top because the camera is stationary where as in reality the movement is not as pronounced due to the car moving independantly[sp] from the person sitting in the seat.

not sure if i am working myself very well.
    Sure - the system is a commercial entertainment platform not for consumer application in Japan, and has been deployed at a Japanese VR Park since  August.

I am waiting on field reports, but I agree the head-tracking mounted on the stationary screen, tracking the motion based fed headset looks to be an issue. Most of the other systems I have placed up on this forum place the camera on the nose of the sim.

Most of the commercial entertainment sims are moving away from Constellation for Lighthouse, due to the Rift business and operation issues however, but it was interesting to see this example.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,895 Valuable Player
    That looks awesome.  But no way would anyone be able to afford a home version, what would it cost?  $10,000?  Where can you even play these games in the USA?  I don't even think we have an arcade in this city anymore and I live in a major city in Arizona.  Even if we did, what would it cost to play something like this?  I certainly wouldn't pay a few bucks to play it, I'd pay 50 cents though.  I assume they'd be at arcades and if that's the cost to play and other games are similarly priced it's no wonder at all that I don't see any arcades anywhere.  The VR booths in the malls were always empty because the cost to play the game is passed the tipping point.  I've tried them and felt like I wasted my money when I was done because the ride cost $5!  Those employees that ran the machines always looked bored out of their skulls.  I'll bet an 8 hour day felt like 24 hours to them....
    edited August 2017
    @falken76its not that quality as the one above but unless you are a 20stone chubster there are home solutions offering 90% of the experience above for under £5000

sure its expensive and would take some justifying for many of us, but its all relative.  if it lasts 10 years with decent maintenance, well i know some who pay almost 1k a year for golf membership.

my father pays probably £800 a year so he can shoot birds to eat, others pay similar to go fishing.

PS you would not pay a few $ for a go on the above?........

would you feel the same way if you DIDNT have a VR HMD with practically the same game on it at home?

not everyone has access to a VR headset and for those who dont i reckon $5 for a 5 min driving experience like the above would be a no brainer. i know i would pay it in that position.
  • SundaygloomSundaygloom Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I've been looking into the next level racing motion platform v3. It seems to be the most affordable home rig that's not diy, doesn't take up a ton of space and is fairly quiet. It seems to have good support and works well with vr from the reviews I've seen. 3000$ is still a bit out of what I'm willing to spend but atleast it's in the realm of feasible. I've already spent about 2000$ on my current setup, motion would be the last piece I need but I'm happy for now, just something to look forward to one day. 
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    imo, not worth the money until cv2 or 4k screens, and even then, just rather put that money towards a real car. ill just lean into turns and save myself the 40k
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    danknugz said:
    imo, not worth the money until cv2 or 4k screens, and even then, just rather put that money towards a real car. ill just lean into turns and save myself the 40k
    HellZ yeah.
    Someone finally brought up resolution, the ultimate killer of sim immersion.
    Its definitely the best solution we have right now. But not much point spending so much to emulate beong there if it still looks like a video game (ie screen on your face)
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,895 Valuable Player
    The first time I tried it I didn't have a headset.  I tried again many months after I got my headset.  Both times I felt like I wasted my money.  I would guess by the complete and total lack of any interest by anyone else in the mall that this is probably not a unique view.  I'm sure all the equipment is expensive and would need to be paid for by people playing the games.  I don't think they could even pay for the machines with the lack of interest displayed in the malls,

This setup is different, the ones I tried were like rides.  This is interactive, but It's too expensive if it costs $5 to play, sure the occassional passer by might try it, but that's not even going to pay for the equipment.  I'll never see VR arcades here because nobody would be willing to take the risk of investment.  $5 game experiences would be a very hard sale IMHO.
  • bud01bud01 Posts: 169
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2017
    I made sure the F80 for assetto  was ready by the time VR was out, rock star liked it so much they made the x80, and ford liked it so much the gt 2017  lol.... :-)
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,315
    Wintermute
    Rolz said:
    *sigh* when you have a shitload of money to buy a real sports car you get this instead... hopefully sometime in the future motion setups like this will be affordable for the common man...
    very nice indeed...
    this might help to answer the question about the VR sim vs the real thing  :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/27/260000-ferrari-smashed-just-hour-bought/

Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2017

Hiro Protagonist
    I am running a obbutto revolution
    Maximum performance pedals
    Fanatec shifter
    Ollies build (https://sim-pli.city) direct drive wheel.

The thing to do is not look at every thing and think, I cant afford that, what you do is you start off small, just get a nice T500RS wheel or G27... and you start to build up your rig.

The move up from T500RS to direct drive is ALOT.

I have a lot of storys or tips but I guess this is not the place.

Sim racing and VR is easily the most impressive thing in gaming I have ever seen.

If you are interested in VR and racing, is it any good... it is better than you can imagine.

Buy a Oculus Rift and support Oculus, and slowly add parts to your home set up for friends family and your pursuits.

For reference, stationary seats and so on are called just that stationary, and then the next level up from just locking a butt kicker on a stationary to give the impression of rumble (not necessary with a direct drive wheel the thing has enough force and feedback to put you in the car imo) but any way point is.. movement chairs and stuff have degrees of movement, like 2 angles of movement, 4, 6.

Myself personally I am more interested in getting a blade runner type replica that works in game, the striker VR rifle is over $2000 which is bat shit insane.

VR is the kind of environment of gaming that spending £500 for devices makes sense.

VR is awesome, Oculus enable fun!

• KeldorVRKeldorVR Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edmg said:
    kevinw729 said:
    That's true. The difference is $49,000.  B)

http://dofreality.com/  Cybereality, you seem confused.  For under 1000 US you can purchase a motion simulator that is getting good reviews.  The problem seems to be that the oculus sdk is unable to be modified like some want to adjust options for the motion simulator so people are buying the vive or other solutions. 

It seems oculus not having tracking pucks like vive also adds to the problem.  I understand you wish to promote your Oculus solution in the best light while not addressing the oculus SDK issue that hinders your product in the motion sim community.  However that seems unfair to the general vr community who are raising valid concerns about your product and software behind those "walled gardens" that slow innovation.