cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Xbox One controller bundle situation

Bullett00th
Explorer
Before I begin I have to warn you that this is more of a venting post than a search for an actual solution, because at this point nothing can be done.

This quiet removal of the Xbox One controller is the shadiest, most terribly communicated, poorly handled and simply disrespectful to the customer practice I've seen in a while.

I ordered my bundle on July 11th when the Xbox One controller was clearly present in the bundle. They've failed to deliver the bundle or even accept my payment after a MONTH, so I had to cancel the order because I was leaving the country and wouldn't be present to receive the package. So I asked a friend of mine to order another bundle in the US and send it over to me, which he did. But now this new bundle is without the controller.

Dear Oculus staff, if you have some sort of PR/community management/communications department, I suggest you send them back to school, because these things should be COMMUNICATED IN ADVANCE you know, and they weren't. You should have clearly indicated that this is a LIMITED bundle, rather than have it run out and just say 'oh well we'll be selling a new bundle without one of the items FOR THE SAME PRICE now'. How is this even legal?

I for one did not even know you've changed the bundle when I canceled my order and had my friend place another one. Since what he ordered most likely was the no controller bundle from the get-go, I can't do much about it. But I just wonder how you handle the orders that were placed for the controller-including bundle after you've run out.

The tech you have is amazing and I salute your engineers for bringing us into the future. But the way you treated this bundle situation is the s**ttiest customer service I've seen from a company of your magnitude. Bitter as hell.
13 REPLIES 13

Before I begin I have to warn you that this is more of a venting post than a search for an actual solution, because at this point nothing can be done.

This quiet removal of the Xbox One controller is the shadiest, most terribly communicated, poorly handled and simply disrespectful to the customer practice I've seen in a while.

Dear Oculus staff, if you have some sort of PR/community management/communications department, I suggest you send them back to school, because these things should be COMMUNICATED IN ADVANCE you know, and they weren't. You should have clearly indicated that this is a LIMITED bundle, rather than have it run out and just say 'oh well we'll be selling a new bundle without one of the items FOR THE SAME PRICE now'. How is this even legal?

It was badly communicated, that's about it.

Oh and i don't want to rub salt in to your wounds but it wasn't one item, it's 2 - the Oculus Remote is also missing and let me tell you, it's absolutely amazeballs!!!   😄
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Thmoas
Rising Star
Yeah the remote is great! The xbox controller I don't use it anymore, since Touch emulates the Xbox controller. Having the controller in two pieces also allows for more relaxed sitting positions. So I woudn't be bothered too much about the remote, unless, you wanted to sell it on.

But the remote ... You will miss the remote haha 😄

Bullett00th
Explorer
I don't care much for the remote, but I do use the Xbox 360 controller for my everyday gaming needs and was excited to upgrade to Xbox One controller.

I'll just buy one anyway now, but that's a bad move on Oculus.

'Badly communicated' is a poor excuse for when you advertise one product and then start selling a different one. And it simply wasn't communicated in any way. TBH the controller was part of the reason I decided to buy due to it being such a good deal. Don't get me wrong, it still is, but it doesn't feel like one anymore because I was kinda screwed over with that switch, like many others here.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I don't care much for the remote, but I do use the Xbox 360 controller for my everyday gaming needs and was excited to upgrade to Xbox One controller.

I'll just buy one anyway now, but that's a bad move on Oculus.

'Badly communicated' is a poor excuse for when you advertise one product and then start selling a different one. And it simply wasn't communicated in any way. TBH the controller was part of the reason I decided to buy due to it being such a good deal. Don't get me wrong, it still is, but it doesn't feel like one anymore because I was kinda screwed over with that switch, like many others here.

It was announced here on July 14th, but I can understand that not everyone would have seen it or been aware of the change. The sale was intended to clear out the remaining two-box bundles, and the new all-in-one was going to be announced afterwards, but the volume of interest at the low sale price seemed to catch them off guard.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Thmoas said:

Yeah the remote is great! The xbox controller I don't use it anymore, since Touch emulates the Xbox controller. Having the controller in two pieces also allows for more relaxed sitting positions. So I woudn't be bothered too much about the remote, unless, you wanted to sell it on.

But the remote ... You will miss the remote haha 😄

You know you can mod it to have Windows 7 on?

I use it to control my lighting, blinds and TV.

Oh man, best remote ever!   😄

And that XBox One controller - beautiful.  They're like gold-dust around here.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Bullett00th
Explorer

nalex66 said:

It was announced here on July 14th, but I can understand that not everyone would have seen it or been aware of the change. The sale was intended to clear out the remaining two-box bundles, and the new all-in-one was going to be announced afterwards, but the volume of interest at the low sale price seemed to catch them off guard.

Thanks for sharing this, but this is PR talk.
It's just presented as a new thing with no heads up for the customers that were purchasing the original bundle.

I was one of them, my order was delayed to no end, then they didn't accept the payment and I had to re-order the new bundle without the controller and the remote.

If that's not manipulation, I don't know what is

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, the communication should have been handled better. They should have either:
  • Come up with enough of the old bundles to last the duration of the sale, or;
  • Announced the new bundle at the start of the sale.
Even if they had old bundles to unload, that could have been a part of the sale announcement:

"New all-in-one Rift+Touch bundle on sale for $399!! And, as a special early-bird bonus while supplies last, get the original bundle with the XB1 controller AT NO EXTRA COST!! ORDER NOW!!!"

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Bullett00th
Explorer

nalex66 said:

Yeah, the communication should have been handled better. They should have either:
  • Come up with enough of the old bundles to last the duration of the sale, or;
  • Announced the new bundle at the start of the sale.
Even if they had old bundles to unload, that could have been a part of the sale announcement:

"New all-in-one Rift+Touch bundle on sale for $399!! And, as a special early-bird bonus while supplies last, get the original bundle with the XB1 controller AT NO EXTRA COST!! ORDER NOW!!!"

Yup, that simple. It's beyond me how a company can miss out on such things.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's business though isn't it. They have the right to withhold any sale if they want to, and they used that right to ensure they sold off the remaining stock of the 2 box bundles. They then stopped allowing orders to go through that exceeded that stock so they weren't technically going back on a sale. Businesses do much worse things on a regular basis and suffer less backlash. It's something they have the right to do for their own gain and they would be stupid not to use it in their favour, that's capitalism for you. And the real kicker that you still bought and love their product. So they've made a product which is good enough to excuse that kind of bullshittery.

I suppose the question could be turned around. What would you have preferred they do? You can't expect them to reveal the details of their 2-box bundle stocks, any information like that could be critical to their market plan. If they had over-stocked the 2-box bundle they might have run the risk of underselling. And sadly, when it comes to making money, a few unhappy customers is preferable over excess, unmoved stock on the verge of a new bundle being released.

The xbox one controller is rendered pretty much pointless with the touch controllers and as for the remote; I've not even unclipped it from my box. But I can understand that it's annoying not getting something that was initially included in the advertised bundle, but at the same time if you would still have been happy to buy the new bundle at that price then you're still getting something you would have been happy with had you not known about the original bundle.