New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Samsung Reveals New Gear VR Headset For The Galaxy Note 8

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,708 Valuable Player

The new mobile VR headset will not have an on-board volume controller and will be a little bit bigger to accommodate the size of the Galaxy Note 8 smartphone. Consumers that are planning on purchasing the new smartphone can pre-order the new Gear VR headset starting tomorrow for $130. It will come with the headset controller.

P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
Tagged:

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,537 Volunteer Moderator
    I've got the second (?) Gear VR that I've only used maybe 3 times because I got it with a Note 7 which I had to return, and my Note 2 won't work in it. Now the Note 8 won't fit either so I need a new one.
    (At least I had no reason to buy the previous one with the controller)

• lad3dlad3d Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Specs for the Note 8 show a lower ppi density than the Galaxy models. Unless the new Headset comes with wider lens/apertures to take in, (and compress) the larger total screen area, the image quality will be less, not more. :|

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,708 Valuable Player
  • Zaw208Zaw208 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    lad3d said:
    Specs for the Note 8 show a lower ppi density than the Galaxy models. Unless the new Headset comes with wider lens/apertures to take in, (and compress) the larger total screen area, the image quality will be less, not more. :|

Yeah, I was bummed to see the S8 had a lower pixel density than my S7. I thought Samsung was going to be cutting edge with the mobile option of VR.
    I think we were all surprised by the degradation in the new S8 screen performance. Add to that the possibility I[ can just flip into the older GearVR and we seem to be seeing a refocus on the initial VR ready approach.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • JMDaemonJMDaemon Posts: 56
    Brain Burst
    The NOTE 8 might fit in the old goggles but they will not be centered properly. Much like what s8 users experienced when they didn't realize the goggles come set up for s8+, the even longer screen will place the center of the screen offset and the gear vr will not have the proper notch to center it. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The newer phones won't work in older Gear VR headsets. Even if the plug might fit, the alignment of the lenses and the stereoscopic imagery will not be calibrated correctly and will result in a poor experience.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    thanks for the clarification.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **