New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Scope of VR Arcade

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,975 Valuable Player
elboffor said:
kevinw729 said:
Need to be careful how you define Niche.

The big problem is many of you use the term "arcade" as if it was still a thing. The arcade industry back in the 80-90 represented "street route" business (operators running a number of amusement pieces in a mall unit). But today the amusement industry represents "Family Entertainment Centers" and Entertainment facilities, combining large numbers of mixed-use entertainment systems.

Arcades are not a thing, its the amusement industry and as cane be seen by the profits being made by Dave & Busters, Chuck E. Cheese and Main Event these are multi-million Dollar corporations seeing great expansion. 

Just as an example of how VR plays into the amusement scene lets just look at the brand new The VOID installation in the new FEC opened in Canada. The Rec Room kind of places in perspective the danger of sweeping assumptions when thinking that the amusement model with technology attractions is "niche"!

'VR Arcade' is just the beginning of the story - wait till you see the new 'Location-Based Entertainment' centers coming to the West!
Looks like a normal arcade to me...
indeed.. .the thing i dont get (and sorry @kevinw729 if you have already explained yourself) I dont understand why he seems to think the term arcade is a slur?

I bloody love arcades, and it kills me that the seaside arcades i grew up with in the 80s and 90s are now rotting filled with gamblers and a few screen burned machines with ropy joysticks and stuck firebuttons.

they can rebrand em however they want, if places like the image above make a comeback, i am all over it (tho please include a "retro corner".  

I am biased tho. I spent £1500 building a twin stick 2 banks of 6 buttons , with trackball arcade for my man cave... and would never be without it.

I AM convinced there is a market for such a thing to make a comback, in big cities at least.... esp now with LED screens the power use should be a lot less and hopefully they have a longer life before failure... mixing in the classic stuff with the cutting edge... - which is how it always was even back in the day, with your sega R360 and the like on show at the front with the older stuff buried in the back.

edit;... oh and back on topic

the vive strap thing is not only a vive issue.. :( the foam around the nose piece of my rift has started to come away and break up :(
Okay - have moved the discussion here - what are the elements you need clarity on regarding this offering?
P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
Tagged:

Comments

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    I lile the thought of it.
    There are several places i know of that offer flat fee entry and you have unlimited access to the building including retro games and vr spaces.

I do wonder what the real issue is however with using a rift in a commercial setting as i know loads o people do it.

Also well done for titleing the thread vr arcade. Common sence is prevailing!
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,975 Valuable Player
    Interested if you can point to someone "using a rift in a commercial setting " as you personally know loads of people? Would be interested in an example to help us understand.

I know you have followed the comments I have already made about why commercial usage reverted to the HTC. Just wondering where you stand.

Also:
     I dont understand why he seems to think the term arcade is a slur?
    Never used the word slur, that would be your term used to make a point I think - my comment was clear that arcade is a outmoded term to describe the amusement industry, though if people want to use VR Arcade I have no real issue - spent the last few weeks in a number across the States!

You also have issues with the term Out-of-Home entertainment, just like another individual. Can really see the issue with it myself, but maybe you would like the term Location-based entertainment?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    You're mixing up who you're addressing kevin.
    I said about commercial rifts. It was big mike that said about you acting like using the term arcade was a slur (which does have a ring of truth to it).
    One of my close friends runs a vr arcade (i wont give the name here) but he uses both vives and rifts.
    There is a place in nottingham and Sheffield that do the same. Not to mention the stuff that's been shown here. Kfc for starters! Then the sim racing experiences that you have showcased!
    Sorry for any confusion, was just referring to the comment in the body of your text-wall you posted.

Regarding your comment on your friend running a VR arcade - I think we can see by the way that you are not inclined to promote his VR business that you know that he is playing fast and loose with the letter of the law by using Rift's in this manner. I only hope that along with using the Rifts illegally that he is at least paying the game developers who's content he is using their appropriated licensing and franchise fee?

A number of associations are establishing groups to crack down on improper use of content and hardware in the commercial sector, and I know that there is a high attrition rate in this aspect of the Out-of-Home entertainment sector with regards VR deployment.

Regarding the Rift based vr arcade stuff I have posted - the majority of those are based in China or Japan, and hope to be out of the catchment of OVR radar - the rest have abandoned initially using Rift (for the aforementioned reason).
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,130 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    kevinw729 said:

You also have issues with the term Out-of-Home entertainment, just like another individual. Can really see the issue with it myself, but maybe you would like the term Location-based entertainment?
    Hi
    I have no issue with you calling it out of home entertainment..... Call it what you like... I thought you were under the impression that people calling it arcade were somehow putting it down which is never my intention. Also I think the rebranding may be confusing to the average Joe on the street.
    Anyway just going over old ground now. In other news, is augmented reality something you follow?

I do not have the link on me but there is a track set up in.... China I think with augmented reality karting game Not my bag but I think it may be something kids would like

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=0ahUKEwj81azW0PLVAhVDIsAKHe2RAUMQxa8BCCswAg&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

On awful phone and can't paste links properly will update again later
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
     Hi
    I have no issue with you calling it out of home entertainment..... Call it what you like... I thought you were under the impression that people calling it arcade were somehow putting it down which is never my intention. Also I think the rebranding may be confusing to the average Joe on the street.
    Anyway just going over old ground now. In other news, is augmented reality something you follow?

I do not have the link on me but there is a track set up in.... China I think with augmented reality karting game Not my bag but I think it may be something kids would like
    On awful phone and can't paste links properly will update again later
    No worries mate - thank' for the clarification on your position.
    I have given up keeping track of peoples positions as so many were re-posting others views. Best we start afresh.

Totally agree the re-branding for the public will be difficult. That is why we had to get the trade singing from the same hymn sheet before the public re-branding. I am lucky that the majority of the amusement and attraction trade are happy to embrace the concept of digital out-of-home entertainment (DOE). We have to stay clear of the OOH nomenclature as that is used by the advertising sector.

We are also looking at taking on the Mixed Reality term for commercial entertainment as we are seeing a number of attractions using this tech and we are more aligned with this tech as it removes the issues felt with headsets in public-space utilisation. Keep your eyes open for a drive for a public re-branding of the sector following the next round of new developments.

I think you may be thinking of the AR karting system developed by this company:

Correct?

And finally, know hard it is to post while mobile - I was always having issues posting off of smartphone - why I just gave up.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Yeah that's the one. Not for me but may be fun for kids
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    My wall of text was a quote from you, i said one line, big mike then quoted the me.

Try to keep up kevin
  • KeldorVRKeldorVR Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited August 2017
    elboffor said:

One of my close friends runs a vr arcade (i wont give the name here) but he uses both vives and rifts.
    There is a place in nottingham and Sheffield that do the same. Not to mention the stuff that's been shown here. Kfc for starters! Then the sim racing experiences that you have showcased!

Why wont you give the  name?  It seems everyone would love free marketing if they were above board and ethical and legal?  I know carmack, luckey, iribe, and nate Mitchell at a minimum were just slayed in court for theft, corruption and lies that so embarrassed Mark Zuckerberg and hurt the VR community in general that Mr. Luckey had to be fired, Iribe demoted, Carmack in a personal lawsuit against zenimax he is so bitter for being outed as too ignorant to bleach bit his hard drive without getting caught, (this guy is CTO of a major company - how?) but lets not try to follow their example and be thieves in th3 shadows.  It is a disgusting slam on this billion dollar industry that you can't name names because it seems they are doing shady stuff like Mr. Luckey did.  Please don't encourage or support this kind of corruption or skeletor like evil.  When your close friend can come out of the "shadows" of deception then we can all feel good about an honest, ethical operation.  It seems strange the alpha poster at this website, skeletor is so celebrated, he was bad and evil.  I saw that although he was supposed to be banned for a month, rules were broken for him, why does this company break rules for evil people that were banned because of very ugly behavior but then had his 1 month ban rescinded?  I guess the carmack, luckey, iribe, nate Mitchell darkness still infests this place.  He-Man is not happy with all this darkness.

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,006 Valuable Player
    Interesting

On a side note,

Is this a cleverusername?? 
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Its a very cleverusername, its almost as clever as when martinlandau came back as AtariVR clearly
  • KeldorVRKeldorVR Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    vannagirl said:
    Interesting

On a side note,

Is this a cleverusername?? 

Keldor was skeletor before the ACID burned his face off, kinda like Kevin used to call the Gear VR solution the FACEMELTER it got so hot and was exploding. 

This company is burning it's own house down with unforced errors.

Unforced?
    Is that a word?

Also, is this true kevin?
    Wintermute
    KeldorVR said: -snip-

I counter you with a better version!

elboffor said:
    Try to keep up kevin
    Would love to keep up if you were not dancing all around the place - come on guy, what is to hide name the publicly trading VR arcade you want to use to prove your point? Or do you want me to reveal is  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    He openly advertises as do a lot of the vr arcades in england. But I'm not going to highlight his company on the official oculus forums.

As for the different threads, i generally stay in that threads topic (or whatever it has evolved to)
    elboffor said:
    He openly advertises as do a lot of the vr arcades in england. But I'm not going to highlight his company on the official oculus forums.

Oh, so it sounds like you do know that he is doing something wrong, so you claim that he is doing something that everyone is doing but dont want to name him, fare enough - your call.

The question has to be is he paying license fees for the games he runs, or is he also skirting the law on that?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    I don't know the ins and outs kevin, I'm his friend not his financial advisor or accountant.

And wrong or not, I'm not going to potentially cause an issue for a good mate of mine. Hiwever likely or not.

Like most of the vr arcades in yorkshire alone, they all advertise on facebook. If it was an issue then im dam sure facebook would pop an algorithm on that flags these.
    I doubt anyone actually cares apart from you (most likely because you have had your fingers burnt before)
    edited August 2017
    Will not push this further as I can see that you have placed yourself in a compromised position.

Dealing with the main point - yes a central app for finding VR arcades is a big thing at the moment - not sure if you or your friend have seen this - https://vrnish.com/ - would recommend that if he has not already he adds his name.

Could I also encourage joining the VR Arcade Association, or UKIE as they are working hard to formalise the operation process, and even looking at a reduced liability insurance deal, that some operators neglect to add to their operation charges. 

Finally to your dubious comment at the end:

...(most likely because you have had your fingers burnt before)

?
    Not sure I know what you are aluding too with this off the topic comment - I know you have been trying every time to try and make this about me, ratherr than the comment - but would say @elboffor if there is something your trying to allude too, best spit it out rather than making snide comments?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Liking that vr arcade (or what ever, ;) ) locator. Hopefully will fill out in the future, closest on to me on there is that London, and it's too much a trek for me
    Your reading too much into it kevin.
    I'm typing as i think and stating my assumptions is all.
    You seem to over analysing things, not sure why :/
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,284 Valuable Player
    Could everyone PLEASE sucking Mr Gates' cock and call Augmented Reality Augmented Reality? The Mixed Reality name will only be valid when a headset offers both Augmented Reality AND Virtual Reality experiences. And we're YEARS away from this (or even a decent AR headset hitting the market) happening until Oculus (they're bound to get there first) solve the piss poor FOV problem.

Hololens is an AR headset. Those headsets from HP etc are VR headsets.

This MR nonsense is a complete load of old bollocks.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Agreed
    elboffor said:
    I think the need is on your part to avoid the assumptions and be a little more open on what you are typing, rather than trying to say more than you mean. Keep it simple so we know your not play the old alluding game - simple  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    snowdog said:

This MR nonsense is a complete load of old bollocks.
    Lon before MS tried to hijack the term, we have been using MR as a term, but not only include AR, but also 3d projection mapping and reflective screen sims in the coverall. Its a shame to see MS try and corner strong terms (such as hologram or mixed reality) just to control a sectors representation. 

Reminds me the  same way that some tried to change the term from head-mounted display to only calling them headsets in order to corner perception there.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Wintermute
    I've always thought of the term "mixed reality" to mean a blending of vr with the real world, such as the videos attempting to convey what we see in the headsets, for those vr-virgins to comprehend a bit better.

For example -

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,201 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2017
    kevinw729 said:
    ...Reminds me the  same way that some tried to change the term from head-mounted display to only calling them headsets in order to corner perception there.
    I don't like the term "head-mounted display" for VR headsets. It doesn't adequately represent everything that a VR headset does.

Those old Sony HMZ viewers, those were head-mounted displays; they were simply a display mounted on your head--no immersive FOV, no head tracking, no sense of looking at anything other than a small screen in front of your face. That in no way compares to a VR headset, which is so much more than a secondary monitor in an unusual form factor.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    kevinw729 said:
    elboffor said:
    I think the need is on your part to avoid the assumptions and be a little more open on what you are typing, rather than trying to say more than you mean. Keep it simple so we know your not play the old alluding game - simple  B)
    I think everything I say is pretty clear and simple.

I dont need advice on how to talk on a forum.

I find the way you are speaking to me (and they way you speak to others) rather condescending Kevin.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,006 Valuable Player
    OpticKing said:
    I've always thought of the term "mixed reality" to mean a blending of vr with the real world, such as the videos attempting to convey what we see in the headsets, for those vr-virgins to comprehend a bit better.

Yes online this is exactly as i thought it was
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.