War Robots VR: The Skirmish = Gunjack on legs — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

War Robots VR: The Skirmish = Gunjack on legs

HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
3Jane
edited August 2017 in Games and Apps
Spoiler alert : I SUGGEST TRYING THE DEMO INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE VIDEO.

What VR hasn't nailed yet is First Person locomotion : Thumbstick based free locomotion isn't that great and teleportation is totally immersion breaking which makes it ten times worse.

But two things that VR already did nail are :
- Rendering scale.
- Piloting a vehicule.

And as it turns out, taking control of a giant robot is all about rendering scale while piloting a vehicule.

And this "third person" Gear VR game I didn't even know about just got itself a (~5 minute) CV1 "first person" demo :

Warnings :
- Short demo : ~5 minutes of gameplay (totally worth it)
- Gamepad (I hate using gamepads, but it works fine here)
- Not a mech simulator : Very simplified action, mechs just have a life bar, (so don't expect to be able to shoot off a leg or anything)
- It's not on railways : You do control the robot movements.
- GAME NOT AVAILABLE ON CV1, it's a short free VR demo for a full mobile VR game that might never come to the CV1...

Comments

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 778
    3Jane
    I grabbed that off steam last week along with a few other such freebies. I had very little expectation but was shocked at how good it is. It is just a demo, but they nailed it. I hope they make a fully fledged PC VR game out of it. It's what the devs of Archangel should have done. Very reminiscent of the old mechwarrior games (prior to MWO).
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,334
    Project 2501
    You  would think that a proper Mech game would be one of the first VR games yet there still isn't one. This does look cool. I'll give it a try. 

• HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    Turns out the free demo was successful enough to trigger a Kickstarter : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixonic/war-robots-vr/description

But there's only 9 days left, and even people who were delighted to play the demo (like me) were barely aware of it...
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    This game is awesome and showcases some great potential for a solid Mech sim game. Donated to the Kickstarter.

Geez it really needs some help though! :( .. only around $28k out of $171k goal. Looking rough.

Come on guys this could really be pretty good.. try out that demo and see!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,675 Valuable Player
    edited December 2017
    @Cyril I am just curious as to why you called this Third Person when it's a First Person perspective game?

Aside from that... I tried the demo this evening and thought it was pretty damn cool! Although when the Demo ends a popup appears on the Desktop and the user is prompted to remove the headset. The prompt recommends downloading the Mobile App version of the game.

Here's the download site for Android:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pixonic.wwr&hl=en

Rather amazing stats for this mobile game. Over 2 million downloads and a 4.6 rating!

Since the mobile version of the App relies on In-App Purchases and there's millions of downloads with great reviews... I wonder why the need for the Kickstarter? Seems to me that they should be able to fund this themselves.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:
    Since the mobile version of the App relies on In-App Purchases and there's millions of downloads with great reviews... I wonder why the need for the Kickstarter? Seems to me that they should be able to fund this themselves.
    They actually explain this on the Kickstarter page. They dont actually need the money, they need "proof of audience" so that their management will assign them the budget they need to make a fully fleshed out VR experience.

Also, although the mobile game is F2P .. I'm pretty sure they said that the VR game will be a full fledged SP Campaign.