Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palmer Luckey considers buying HTC's Vive division, just for LOLs

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Reddit thread.

What do you guys think, would that be a laugh if Palmer owned Vive?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo
38 REPLIES 38

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
He did this a few weeks ago with AltSpace. When they announced they were having to close up shop, he went to Twitter to ask the same question:

https://twitter.com/palmerluckey/status/891301924732928000

He's basically turning these failing companies in to a "What's grosser than gross?" -style gameshow 😄

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, he also tweeted the announcement that AltSpaceVR was continuing a little later. I don't know if he ended up investing or not, but it seemed like he might have and they kept it quiet.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yep, and I remember the announcement from AltSpace directly... they didn't say who nor how it all happened. And they were asked aplenty!

Anyone who gets help from Palmer has to do that "walk of shame" after...

cybernettr
Superstar
Isn't Palmer worth about $2m, and it cost Zuck $2b to buy Oculus? So Palmer would be a few $$ short!  😄

Richooal
Consultant

Isn't Palmer worth about $2m, and it cost Zuck $2b to buy Oculus? So Palmer would be a few $$ short!  😄

"Luckeyly" you're not Palmer's financial advisor.
He's worth more like $740m.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

nalex66 said:

Reddit thread.

That would be a massive slap in the face to all Vivarians. But I think he has not enough money to buy HTC.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

vannagirl
Consultant
Yes with this rebranding i can just see the company tag now

Vivarians Are Humanitarians
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

Reddit thread.

That would be a massive slap in the face to all Vivarians. But I think he has not enough money to buy HTC.

He wouldn't be buying HTC though, they're considering selling off the Vive division separately. I have no idea what it would be worth, given that they don't own the technology, which is licensed from Valve.

But considering that Palmer turned a garage business into a $2B sale to Facebook, I'm sure there would be no shortage of investors lining up to make up the difference if he couldn't cough up the whole cost to buy Vive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

"Luckeyly" you're not Palmer's financial advisor.
He's worth more like $740m.

We have no idea how much he's worth now. He was worth around $740m after he sold Oculus to Facebook but we have no idea how much he's spent since or how many lucrative investments he's made.