New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How To: Full VR Setup (not just the PC) for under $1000

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,572 Valuable Player
YouTube has been full of "VR Ready Machine for $1000" advertisements since last year. So many videos that feel the need to teach people how $1000 will only get you a good PC.

But today I was pleased to see a video that goes a little further, by showing viewers how to start from scratch... and get an entire VR package (new PC, and full VR kit that supports 360 with room-scale) for under $1000.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Comments

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Does it inclide the cost of the OS?
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,572 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    Dont think so... but who actually buys an OS? lol

I'm not referring to piracy either. There's so many easy ways to get a free copy of Windows that if someone actually pays for it, they just aren't trying.

I think Windows 95 was the only OS that mass consumers purchased.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 788
    3Jane
    Legal ways to get Windows 10:
    1) Buy it for $100 USD
    2) Install free trial version (no customization allowed, probably self destructs eventually)

Questionably legal ways:
    1) Buy it from someone who bought it using stolen credit cards (this is how you get it for $20 from a software resale site)

Illegal:
    1) Pirate it

In any case, you can build a halfway decent gaming PC on a fairly cheap budget as the video shows. The fact that he under estimated the cost by $100 doesn't change that.
    edited August 2017
    Legal ways to get Windows 10:
    1) Buy it for $100 USD
    2) Install free trial version (no customization allowed, probably self destructs eventually)
    Definitely the worst of the options.

Better options:
    1) Windows developers get large amounts of free Windows Keys from MSDN licensing. And Windows developers are a dime a dozen these days. Ask a Windows developer nicely, maybe buy them lunch. These are 100% legal keys.

2) College students and Teachers can get a Windows OS for either free or very cheap. Use those networking skills.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You can get Window 10 keys legally for cheap. I've bought for as low as $15.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,767 Valuable Player
    I think there needs to be a paradigm shift in software design especially within the gaming sector where  all major releases are VR compatible as standard. RE7 is a good example where the cost of VR development is subsidized by the 2D version at this stage where there are few consumers with VR headsets. This type of systemic change is what will draw in the punters.  I believe the cost becomes immaterial if this was to happen as proven by how much people spend on other electronic devices in the same price bracket.

Without the software to drive it, VR isn't climbing out of the niche market in my opinion. It needs familiar big named experiences that can seamlessly shift between 2D and VR at the touch of a button.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • shiarishiari Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    I think there needs to be a paradigm shift in software design especially within the gaming sector where  all major releases are VR compatible as standard.
    I strongly disagree with this.

Slapping VR onto what is basically what is made to be a 2D experience is a bad idea in general. Making every game support VR would mean a lot of terrible games coming out, bring us a lot of nausea inducing experiences for those who haven't got their VR legs, and for those games that offer multiplayer there would be balancing issues (how would you say balance WASD + mouse movement vs people teleporting in VR?). What you're suggesting just leaves us with an even bigger flood of terrible zombie wave shooters that I personally have zero interest in.

If they can, and it's a good fit, then sure, yes, every such game should offer VR support out of the box. But it's not going to be a good fit for every game. For example, Lucky's Tale ... to me the VR support in that doesn't add anything to the game.

I think what VR needs is more fantastic "made for VR" experiences. Experiences like those offered by Lone Echo and Echo Arena, Robo Recall, SuperHot VR, and Racket Nx. Most of those would not translate well to 2D at all.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    You can get Window 10 keys legally for cheap. I've bought for as low as $15.
    yes same

i got my Win10 keys twice now in Ebay for 10,15 a little more if you wish to have it on a usb drive

@Zenbane

Great thread
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    3Jane
    edited August 2017
    shiari said:
    I think there needs to be a paradigm shift in software design especially within the gaming sector where  all major releases are VR compatible as standard.
    I strongly disagree with this.

Slapping VR onto what is basically what is made to be a 2D experience is a bad idea in general. Making every game support VR would mean a lot of terrible games coming out, bring us a lot of nausea inducing experiences for those who haven't got their VR legs, and for those games that offer multiplayer there would be balancing issues (how would you say balance WASD + mouse movement vs people teleporting in VR?). What you're suggesting just leaves us with an even bigger flood of terrible zombie wave shooters that I personally have zero interest in.

If they can, and it's a good fit, then sure, yes, every such game should offer VR support out of the box. But it's not going to be a good fit for every game. For example, Lucky's Tale ... to me the VR support in that doesn't add anything to the game.

I think what VR needs is more fantastic "made for VR" experiences. Experiences like those offered by Lone Echo and Echo Arena, Robo Recall, SuperHot VR, and Racket Nx. Most of those would not translate well to 2D at all.
    I'm with you on that, imagine Total War: Warhammer in VR with touch controllers. It would just be awful, VR adds nothing to the game and would probably make it worse tbh. And the touch controllers don't fit that type of game at all. I also agree that VR in Lucky's Tale adds nothing to it. It isn't a bad game, but it is an example of an entire genre of game that VR doesn't add anything to (3rd person platformer). Fortunately, it doesn't hurt it either. However, there are other games where VR naturally fits. Anything with first person vehicle control is an obvious match. I don't think these have any balancing concerns between VR and non-VR players. It all fits together effortlessly. Incidentally, these were the very first VR games.

I think first person shooters/slashers also naturally fit, but as you already stated, mixing 2d and VR together in this genre has some complications. Teleporting is off the table in multiplayer for such games, but even using traditional FPS movement, the difference between mouse and touch controllers is also a balance issue. I'm not entirely sure which one is better either, they are so radically different. You could of course just make it a mouse and keyboard game with VR support, but I'm not sure how well that would be received.

And then there are the sidescrollers and such, obviously VR adds nothing to an intrinsically 2d game. So no point in doing that. There are also card games, which once again VR adds nothing to, though I suppose it doesn't hurt them. RPG's can be covered by previous examples. If it's a Skyrim style RPG, then VR + touch fits great. If Witcher 3 style game, VR and touch would be more a hindrance more than a help. It would probably make everyone hurl too, that spinning over the shoulder cam would be brutal.

On topic, those $15 windows keys are generally stolen. Been covered a million times all over the internet. Microsoft goes through about once a year or two and kills all those copies. Of course, if you move on in the meantime, it doesn't matter to you. There are also student versions but that requires you to either be or know a college student willing to sell it to you. They also give those students just 1 copy in my experience.
    BeastyBaiter said:
    On topic, those $15 windows keys are generally stolen. Been covered a million times all over the internet.
    Well if it's on the Internet it must be true?

They are not all stolen, but MS has been known to invalidate keys. By the time that happens, either there is a new OS or someone can get a replacement key for dirt cheap.

BeastyBaiter said:
    There are also student versions but that requires you to either be or know a college student willing to sell it to you. They also give those students just 1 copy in my experience.
    Knowing college folks should be a fairly easy task. Graduates (like me) have permanent Alumni cards making it easy to buy these things from a college/university book store. I've never known there to be a limitation of one copy, but even if that's true it makes zero difference.
    3Jane
    I'm currently back in school (second time around), last time it was one copy of any given piece of software, I haven't tried again this time around for Windows. The other stuff is all account based, so that's definitely 1 user per person, though I can have it on multiple machines. For windows, my guess is you have to give your university email address to get the key for windows and unless you get a different university email address, you've gotten your one license.
    I'm currently back in school (second time around), last time it was one copy of any given piece of software, I haven't tried again this time around for Windows. The other stuff is all account based, so that's definitely 1 user per person, though I can have it on multiple machines. For windows, my guess is you have to give your university email address to get the key for windows and unless you get a different university email address, you've gotten your one license.
    I was able to buy the OS installation disk right off the shelf, but maybe it's changed. Still, the number of college kids who actually buy their own OS is incredibly small. So even if you somehow use up your own Student discount for an OS, you should be able to phone a friend.

For anyone struggling to make friends...

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,104 Valuable Player
    I haven't bought a copy of Windows EVER. Bill Gates can suck my cock as far as I'm concerned. The best free copy of Windows I got was a leaked copy of Windows Vista that was an OEM version that came with new PCs from Dixons and Currys years ago. It was basically an image of the disc that those two shops used to install Vista on their PCs before they put them on the shelves and sold them. No serial number involved, you just pressed Return when it asked you for one. And Microsoft couldn't do a thing about it because they would have rendered every PC bought from those shops useless lmfao :p B)

I've been using Windows since 3.11.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Pic0oPic0o Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Wow this thread went to hell pretty quick, jumping off the licensing boat.
    Good to know a Ryzen 3 motherboard combo and a 1060 GTX can be had with a rift for ~$1000.  Granted building a system isn't a great fit for everyone.  It's not too bad, but that's easy to say having built quite a few systems over the years.

Back to license things.  Yes you can also get good software deals if you know people at microsoft, who can add you to their friends and family plan.  It's quite legal, granted not as easy as student pricing to attain.  Not all deals are stolen but it's easy to jump to that conclusion.