New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Official list of CPU's, please?????

SpillmypintSpillmypint Posts: 13
NerveGear
Hi there,

I've scoured the internet and only found listings dated about 2016 of CPU that will run Oculus Rift.
Any posts since then are people complaining about their CPU is up to the mark or even surpass very comfortably - yet still won't install the software.

Surely a copy and paste from the inner workings of the Oculus software, the list which it checks against to which CPU will do the deed  can be done?????

It seems that the specifications are hinted at, but not clearly defined.  Surely this day and age, it can be clearly defined?

Regards
Mark
Tagged:

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    What CPU are you using?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ThatTechGuyThatTechGuy Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    all of these CPUs and Processors would work just fine. this just give you a better idea of what is more affordable or worth the money. if you go the this site and look for any CPU with a score higher than 8k or 9k then it will work too and you will save a little money. looks like for gaming though the ryzen 5 1600 or 1600X are the best bang for the buck and with a little overclocking gets you the same performance in gaming as the ryzen 1700X since in gaming the frequency is what matters.

the video below shows a little comparision. as long as you are getting 90fps or above then you should be good. most of the game you will play are going to me GPU bound though

AMD Ryzen 1800X | GYGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA GTX980 FTW |120GB SanDisk SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD | EVGA 850 GQ Power supply | Fractal Design Define S
  • SpillmypintSpillmypint Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    What CPU are you using?
    I'm using the AMD fx8320, had it over clocked to 4.4ghz.  But the software doesnt register the fact that its o'c'd.  just a sub perofrming processor.  Not the best i know, but was thinking on the fx8370, but have read that people are having problems with that one too.  Ive got the MSI970 gaming board, amd+ socket.   I think ive cracked the USB problem with the board, just need to get a suitable processor for it
    NerveGear
    I've run the compatiability mode on the steam software, and my coimputer as it stands is well in the green for being able to do the VR thingl,  but can't install oculus to get the steam working, with the current Oculus installation system.
    Hiro Protagonist
    the software wont even install? I have an FX8350 and a r7 260x in my other system. when I get home i'll test to see if I can install VR. this might take a while since I don't use that PC anymore
    AMD Ryzen 1800X | GYGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA GTX980 FTW |120GB SanDisk SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD | EVGA 850 GQ Power supply | Fractal Design Define S
    Are VR games actually underperforming, or do you just want to get rid of the message?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Are VR games actually underperforming, or do you just want to get rid of the message?
    Ideally get rid of the message.  Steam says my machine is good for VR,  Oculus says it isn't.   This is pointing to me going a getting a HTC Vive. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ideally get rid of the message.  Steam says my machine is good for VR,  Oculus says it isn't.   This is pointing to me going a getting a HTC Vive. 

on the vive web site it has the FX 8350 as the minimum CPU...
    NerveGear
    edited August 31
    ThatTechGuy said:
    on the vive web site it has the FX 8350 as the minimum CPU...
    This is want i'm thinking, Saving all of the monkeying around that Oculus seems to be putting me through Much appreciated ThatTechGuy.
    NerveGear
    Just struck incredibly lucky, just travelled 7 hours round trip, £50 in fuel and picked up a HTC Vive for £200, with the two controllers and the two sensors, included in the mega-deal of the century was a pair or stands for the sensors and a super long HDMI cable.  

So, i guess that's it Oculus.  So long, and thanks for all the fish.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    Just struck incredibly lucky, just travelled 7 hours round trip, £50 in fuel and picked up a HTC Vive for £200, with the two controllers and the two sensors, included in the mega-deal of the century was a pair or stands for the sensors and a super long HDMI cable.  

So, i guess that's it Oculus.  So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    Oh well, 2nd is better than last. :p
    Enjoy your Vive.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Can someone clarify if Oculus won't actually install onto a system if a cpu isn't on the list?  I have a 6 core I7-3960X which wasn't on the original supported CPU list but needless to say VR runs easily on it.  Oculus software installed straight away with no issue.

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 274 Poster of the Week
    From what I have heard, if your hardware isn't officially supported, everything will still work but you will get a warning message every time you start OH. You have the option of ignoring that message and continuing.
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    @BeastyBaiter The OP is claiming people can't install the Oculus software because of their CPU.  I find this hard to believe as I didn't have any issue at all and my CPU wasn't on the accepted list at the time of install.

I did see that stupid banner in Oculus Home about my system not meeting requirements because of my CPU, I've always ignored it.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 1,652 Poster of the Week
    Can someone clarify if Oculus won't actually install onto a system if a cpu isn't on the list?  I have a 6 core I7-3960X which wasn't on the original supported CPU list but needless to say VR runs easily on it.  Oculus software installed straight away with no issue.

I have an I7 2600k, it was not on the list and everything works on it.  The nag message saying the CPU isn't supported is no longer on the screen either.
  • BoneboysBoneboys Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    i5 2500k (3.3ghz) oc'd and running at 4.2
    Oculus software installed without problem (April).
    Performance warning no longer shows, since 1.17 (or there abouts).

Get a Grasp, get a Grip, get Rifting.
    NerveGear
    I think the option to install the software has been removed if your machine doesn't meet the specs .....  Here is a picture of my results.  I couldnt see a part where it says, install software. 
    You can always download the software here:
    https://www.oculus.com/setup/
    The only times it won't install is if your CPU or other components are so old to not be even compatible at all (for example if certain CPU instruction sets are not available on your chip or a really old video card that can't use the latest drivers, etc.) 
    NerveGear
    You can always download the software here:
    https://www.oculus.com/setup/
    The only times it won't install is if your CPU or other components are so old to not be even compatible at all (for example if certain CPU instruction sets are not available on your chip or a really old video card that can't use the latest drivers, etc.) 

Cheers for the response.  I couldn't for the life of me find where this was.  It was insisting i do the compatibility check.  If i had seen this before i had gotten the Vive i would of been happy to save up for the rift.  Maybe in the future, when the next generation comes out, i can sell the vive and spend the money upgrading.  I did get a real good deal on the Vive, so shouldn't lose as much as most when the time comes.