New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus rift issue "too many lost IMU samples"

WikifulWikiful Posts: 5
NerveGear
Hello everyone,
I have been playing with my Oculus for two week and recently I got some issues.
Every 5 minutes, my screen on the Oculus freeze for 3-5 seconds and it's written on the settings of the oculus home : "too many lost IMU samples.".

I used an extension cord on my HDMI port, on the USB of the Oculus screen and on one of my sensor, but I have tested without it and it didn't change anything.
I also have bought this controller card ( https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01KTGPOSC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) to add additional USB 3.0 port but Oculus home don't detect it as a 3.0 USB port. (Does it come from the card, my motherboard ? Could it cause the problem ?)

I tried to play with that but it's getting really uncomfortable, that why I hope the community could help me in some way.
Thanks for your answers and sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
I leave you with this gif that show the error from Oculus home and my spec : https://i.gyazo.com/8d5075385734ab5a6f4176f91426b490.gif

Intel Core i7 3770 3.40 GHz
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8B75-M Rev X.0x
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
16 Go RAM DDR3 666.54 MHz

Answers

• WikifulWikiful Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I also hear that the AI suite could cause this kind of issue but uninstalled it didn't fix anything.

• SiilkSiilk Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    Had the same issue with one of my sensors. After some experimenting, managed to get rid of it by switching sensor into a different USB port; had absolutely no HMD or sensor issues since then. Funnily enough, USB port I initially used was giving my wireless mouse "hiccups" and made cursor stutter quite often when I plugged it's dongle into that port so I suspect some sort of USB data packet loss was causing the issue.

Note, all ports are built-in mother board USBs so, all in all, I have a feeling that with all sensors, HMD and other devices plugged in, MB USB controllers were having troubles serving all the ports at the same time.

Another thing I heard of which may cause this is the fact that some USB controllers, including built in stuff, might have trouble properly powering all the USB ports when a lot of power-hungry devices are plugged in. Some people recommend trying a powered USB 3.0 hub to rule out the power issue but I haven't tried this option myself.

Alternatively it might be a faulty USB port, at least in my case anyway. I'll try to diagnose it at some point in the future but for now I just avoid using the port in question.
    Art3mis
    edited September 12
    Oh, about USB 2.0 ports: while I was still experimenting with my gaming laptop before building a desktop PC for oculus, I used USB 2.0 for most of the oculus hardware(laptop only had 1 actual USB 3.0 port, the rest being 2.0s) and even when everything was plugging into 2.0s I had no packet loss whatsoever.

Edit:
    Regarding PCI USB cards, I heard that only one specific card is verified to work with well oculus, namely 4 port Inateck PCI-E USB 3.0(I believe this is the one: https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Carte-PCI-rouge-USB3-0/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/). Haven't tested myself so cannot confirm/deny this but a lot of people on the internet were mentioning that you should specifically buy this one. Then again, I read some people having troubles with USB ports even after buying that card so it's hardly a magic bullet...

NerveGear
    Thank you so much for your answer.

I will tried to connect my oculus and all the sensors on that controller card and see if it fix my problem.
    (Anyway, I don't know if I well understood your messages and if it will be enough or if I need to unplug some of my components - like my mouse, my keyboard and my microphone - to free some power to my USB controller)
    NerveGear
    Well, I have tried everything. I have put my oculus on every USB port and it didn't change anything. I also tried to unplung my sensors to see if the problem come from them but my headset still bug, and it's the same if I unplung every components on the USB port.

I don't know what cause my problem and I don't think that the new controller card will fix anything )=
    Art3mis
    Do you have two sensors or just one? If you own two, you can try unplugging the sensor which reports errors to see how your system will behave with just one sensor. Additionally, try updating your USB controller and motherboard chipset drivers.

Another thing you can do is try the oculus on another PC if you have a way to do so, ask a friend or a co-worker if you only have one PC at home. It doesn't have to be a powerful PC as you only need to confirm if your sensor will report any errors when plugged into a different PC.

And at this point, I recommend opening a support ticket as it might be a faulty sensor.

NerveGear
    Hi,
    to answer quickly to your questions :
    -I have two sensors
    -I already tried to see what happen when I disconnect them
    -The issue come from the headset and not from the sensor
    -All my drivers are up to date
    -I opened a support ticket two days ago and we are working on my problem.

But thanks for your answer. It's a good idea to test my Oculus on an other computer, I will tried on my laptop (even if he only have two USB 3 port. Maybe I will put the headset on a USB 2 port or maybe I will only plug one sensor).
    Anyway, the support is helping me now, thank you for your answers - you was the only one )=.
    Art3mis
    edited September 16
    From my experience testing oculus on my laptop, you can plug everything including the headset into USB 2.0 and it will still pass the hardware setup. You will not get the top performance that way but as long as you only need to confirm if you would have packet loss issues you should be fine.

Another thing to check: if your packet loss issue is reported by HMD itself, try checking the headset cable, especially the connector which plugs into the headset. I encountered a good amount of posts about connector being faulty or straight up DoA due to bend pins. Accessing connector is a bit tricky as you have to remove the facial interface(aka the soft face-hugging part) of your headset first. Facial interface is removable but as you're already in contact with oculus support make sure to confirm that this will not void your warranty(it wouldn't but it's better to hear it from a customer service rep rather than a random internet person).

Anyway, examine *both* ends of HMD cable, look for bent, out of place or missing pins. Also examine the cable itself. Start the oculus home(you might need to put something on top of the presence sensor inside the headset to trick it into thinking you're wearing it) and try to methodically bend small sections of the cable lightly, one by one, to see if there are any segments which might be damaged. After that, wiggle the connector on the headset lightly to check if the port is loose.

• Superman217Superman217 Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    I to have recently started having this problem with my HMD.  The controllers track perfectly but I get a "Poor tracking Quality" from the HMD  it started a few days ago.  It only flashes to it for a few seconds and then the connection is good.  It took me a while to get a screen shot of the message from the question mark.  I'll put a photo below.  I'm hoping it's only the cable.  I've had my Rift since 15 Jun 2016.

Some System Info
    Oculus Rift CV1
    Touch Controllers
    3 Sensors
    Windows 10 64-bit
    CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
    MoBo: MSI B350
    RAM:16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz
    Dual 32" 60hz Monitors
    Fresco Logic USB card (recommend by Oculus) Been using it since I got the Rift.

Ryzen 7 1700 | MSI Tomahawk B350 | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 RGB | nVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,025 Oculus Staff
    edited October 12
    That warning is usually USB related. Have you updated the Fresco drivers? Have you tried different USB ports? USB 2.0 can actually work more reliably in many cases.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • simo1000rrsimo1000rr Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited October 12
    hello everyone . I Also started having the same issue as the above post with the exact same message . I have been having the Rift with one and half year on the sdaem hardware and nothing change . just right after the last update 1.19 im starting to have this issue . 
    all driver up to date . i tried all USB port in the PC including USB 2.0 nothing is helping . 

Win 10 64 
    I7  CPU 
    EVGA 1070 FTW 
    ASUS MB maximus Hero Vii

EDIT:  I also dont have any of the ASUS garbage software and never did like ASUS AI suit or sonic or any thing . i have Anti virus but i shut it off before i run any gaming session , no other clogging software just windows and games.
    Art3mis
    @cybereality
    Thank you sir.  I'll try a different port and if that fails, I'll check out some drivers.  =)

Ryzen 7 1700 | MSI Tomahawk B350 | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 RGB | nVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition
  • Urma.GurdUrma.Gurd Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    edited October 12
    I'm having same issues (I raised in another thread).

My system is ASUS Z170P, i5 6600K, GTX970, FL1100EX PCIE card, 8GB 3000MHz, Samsung 850 EVO SSD, Win 10 64 bit

Games start fine, then after 15-20 minutes the lost samples error starts to occur. The longer I play a game, the worse the problem gets. Starts with just a few dropped samples, then gets more and more and I get garbled sound and massive jittering. Changing ports and rebooting resolves the issue, for 15-20 minutes then it returns again. Change ports, reboot, fine, then it returns again.

After trying underclocking memory, disabling many BIOS features, stopping Windows services, trying every combination of USB 2 and 3 port I resorted to removing all non-game software. Eventually I had nothing left except games and my Fresco Logic USB software... still same issue. 

Now here's the kicker... I installed Windows 10 fresh on a new a Samsung 840 PRO SSD on the same PC, did full Windows update, installed FL1100EX USB drivers, installed Oculus and Lone Echo.... no more issues.

That's right, a fresh install of Windows was the only thing to resolve this problem. At this point, I concede defeat.
    Brain Burst
    Urma.Gurd said:
    I'm having same issues (I raised in another thread).

My system is ASUS Z170P, i5 6600K, GTX970, FL1100EX PCIE card, 8GB 3000MHz, Samsung 850 EVO SSD, Win 10 64 bit

Games start fine, then after 15-20 minutes the lost samples error starts to occur. The longer I play a game, the worse the problem gets. Starts with just a few dropped samples, then gets more and more and I get garbled sound and massive jittering. Changing ports and rebooting resolves the issue, for 15-20 minutes then it returns again. Change ports, reboot, fine, then it returns again.

After trying underclocking memory, disabling many BIOS features, stopping Windows services, trying every combination of USB 2 and 3 port I resorted to removing all non-game software. Eventually I had nothing left except games and my Fresco Logic USB software... still same issue. 

Now here's the kicker... I installed Windows 10 fresh on a new a Samsung 840 PRO SSD on the same PC, did full Windows update, installed FL1100EX USB drivers, installed Oculus and Lone Echo.... no more issues.

That's right, a fresh install of Windows was the only thing to resolve this problem. At this point, I concede defeat.
    i know for a fact that it has nothing to do with my hardware or anyone's hardware . i was just doing fine playing DCS the other day for a 3 hour session continues , not a single hiccup on the rift tracking that was on 1.18 client , now my oculus home update to 1.19 and right away on the start i see this error messgae  @cybereality ; any update please on this matter it would help if you raise it  to the Devs .??
  • breammasterbreammaster Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    I'm also getting Lost IMU samples error. Plus HMD disconnects whenever I remove the headset and first put it on. I attached my logs if anyone can help. In game I don't get any black screens though. So I only noticed the error when I took off the headset. I decided to see what happens if I put on the headset, and it seems to give the same error when I put it on. But then it disappears after a couple seconds.
    Brain Burst
    I think this has only started happening on 1.18 or 1.19
    edited October 13
    I still think it's related to USB. Maybe try updating your USB drivers. If you happen to have an Asmedia USB controller, you can install this driver. Click your OS then Other Drivers -> USB Drivers.
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-GAMING-7.html#down-driver
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    I'm on an intel usbb controller. Do you know where the latest drivers are?
    Usually on your motherboard maker's website.
    Brain Burst
    chipset drivers? I hve the latest chipset drivers but I think i need to rollback. any tips on installing older chipset drivers?
    They would usually be listed as USB drivers. You can also try to find out what brand USB controller is on your system and download them from the manufacturer website.
    Brain Burst
    edited October 15
    @cybereality im not really sure what USB controller i have on my MB  i would really appercaite it of you look at the specs of this motherboard in the attached links and tell me if its Asmedia or not ?  
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/specifications/

I always download the latest driver of the MB from their website but intel has a newer one for the USB 3.0 extension controller , i dont know if that what i have on this board or not . Shouldn't windows 10 install the latest USB driver automatically ? 
    EDIT : i would add that i unplugged every thing except for the mouse and i tried all 6 USB  available in  the back of my MB and all of them gives the Error " too many lost IMU "  what gets me is that with 1.18 it doesnt happen . is there a way to roll back to 1.18 ?
  • highwayintheskyhighwayinthesky Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I also started getting this error after the update to 1.19. I’ve updated all possible drivers, reinstalled Windows, and even replaced the motherboard with a different model. It happens regardless of whether the Rift is connected to my Inateck board, an ASMedia 3.1 port, or the Intel 3.0 ports. 
    Art3mis
    My trackers are currently mounted upside down from the ceiling.  Maybe the new 1.19 doesn't like that too much. =)  Still, I'm having fun with it.  I only really have problems in Artika.1.  Killing Floor Incursion, Elite Dangerous, The Unspoken, just to name a few seems fine.  I'm going to do some more testing on my next day off work.  I have a weird work schedule.  I was thinking it was my cable, but since I'm not the only with the issue, I going to hold off on buying a new cable for my Rift.
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Just to confirm the problem now exists with 1.19...I too am now experiencing the exact same thing since 1.19 entered my system. I tried Nvidia's older video drivers for my 1080Ti and the problem still exists. I also tried the Asmedia USB drivers Cybereality listed and they installed on my system but Oculus software has message by my Rift device telling me to update my USB drivers...so I reinstalled the original Asus drivers for my board which fixed that message but the poor tracking problem still exists.

The poor tracking problem is very intermittent on my system....But I can reproduce the problem every time by just putting on my HMD for a few seconds while watching the oculus device section for my HMD. It will all of a sudden show the poor tracking for a few moments and then go away after a few moments...then I take it off and it does the same the same thing...then returns to normal...everytime. It never did this with 1.18.
    Brain Burst
    Just to confirm the problem now exists with 1.19...I too am now experiencing the exact same thing since 1.19 entered my system. I tried Nvidia's older video drivers for my 1080Ti and the problem still exists. I also tried the Asmedia USB drivers Cybereality listed and they installed on my system but Oculus software has message by my Rift device telling me to update my USB drivers...so I reinstalled the original Asus drivers for my board which fixed that message but the poor tracking problem still exists.

The poor tracking problem is very intermittent on my system....But I can reproduce the problem every time by just putting on my HMD for a few seconds while watching the oculus device section for my HMD. It will all of a sudden show the poor tracking for a few moments and then go away after a few moments...then I take it off and it does the same the same thing...then returns to normal...everytime. It never did this with 1.18.
    this is exactly what happens to me the part where when i put on my Oculus headset the warring msg appear but when i take it off the HMD screen goes black and the warning msg disappears. i strongly say that calling this on the UBS is utter bullshit  , it has to do with the 1.19 update since this never happened to any other run time client 
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    edited October 17
    They would usually be listed as USB drivers. You can also try to find out what brand USB controller is on your system and download them from the manufacturer website.
    Cybereality,

I just installed the latest Asmedia drivers for my USB 3.1 controller (version 1.16.42.1) from Station-drivers website. My motherboard is an Asus z97-A USB 3.1. Asus only has drivers on their website up to 1.16.35.1. No change what so ever with the poor tracking issue with the latest drivers. Still poor tracking happening as I have described in my previous post.

As this has only started happening with 1.19 software, there must be something that has changed in there between 1.18 & 1.19. Unless Microsoft themselves have done something with their latest update for Windows 10 Pro.

A solution definitely is needed as there are many experiencing this issue.
    Brain Burst
    at least give us a way to roll back to 1.18