New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Poll: Did you had the bad "Mura effect" with the new Summer's Sales Oculus Bundle or D1 Edition?

dan108dan108 Posts: 89
Hiro Protagonist
Someone say that compared to the firsts units of Oculus Rift CV1 the newest (the ones we have found in the new summer bundle, with the new padding foam) can have more chances to find the ugly Mura effect. This effect can be seen only in very dark scenes, and for someone is green, for others is white.
Please tell in this poll if you had this problem (or if you hadn't the Mura, it's important to say it anyway for balanced results).

Poll: https://strawpoll.com/ww8xgc7b

I add some pictures, I try to show it.
Those pictures has been drawn (so it's not the real thing it's just a ""simulation"")

This one is real, found searching from google image, it's not easy to capture (image credits @flexy123 on the Oculus forum).

Comments

• SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,261 Poster of the Week
    edited September 12
    I bought in summer sale but had the OLD SKU (with old facial interface/box/gamepad/remote). Have had no noticeable issues with mura or colour banding (or red tint). The summer sales bundle may confuse some, as there were mixed skus in it. So probably better to say new "all in one" SKU with new face gasket or something.

I'm still trying to find out how much better the new face padding is and why? can you say?

EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    System: 8700k O/C 4.9ghz ACT awaiting Volta or at least Pascal Refresh!
  • dan108dan108 Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 12

People please note that not all the summer's sale unit had the new SKU (the new bundle): some units sold during this summer had the OLD SKU (the bundle that include xbox gamepad, remote...), if you are in that case at the poll vote "Oculus Rift Day One Edition" please.

@Sharpfish thanks for your advice.
    Reguarding your question in my humble opinion the new padding foam is not confortable if the strap is tight (I like it tight). I feel a pain on the top of the eyebrown when I wear the Oculus Rift (only if tight). The pain starts to appear after 30/40 minutes of gameplay. At that point I start to have the feeling that the padding foam is too light, and I can distingue and feel clearly the hard plasting behind the foam (that's the origin the pain). If I feel pain I can continue to play only if I loosen the strap, then the pain calm down. In my opinion between the hard plastic and the light padding foam they should a middle layer (a densest material).

Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 14
    please vote! :smile:
    https://strawpoll.com/ww8xgc7b

actually we had 61 votes (click "View Results" on that link to see the percentage), the results speak for themselves.... what do you think? I wrote on twitter to some Oculus CEO to fix this production defect before the next big units shipping. I hope they will act to resolve it. Thank you so much for watching.

• ScytoScyto Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    please add a +1 to the vote as i have the issue - way worse than the simulated screens at top, i sent my unit back to amazon today, i am no longer a customer - which is a shame because everything else was awesome.  MURA and the lack of seriousness when i emailed support led me to return it.  I am going to wait and see what happens in next 12 mo of market changes. 
  • ScytoScyto Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Oh and based on the reddit threads this is NOT a production issue it is purely a software issue - thats why using the usespud=0 makes the issue go away.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 19
    Scyto said:
    please add a +1 to the vote as i have the issue - way worse than the simulated screens at top, i sent my unit back to amazon today, i am no longer a customer - which is a shame because everything else was awesome.  MURA and the lack of seriousness when i emailed support led me to return it.  I am going to wait and see what happens in next 12 mo of market changes. 
    I did the same, I sent it back to amazon for a refound. I wish to buy it again without mura.
    The hack that you decribe seems to partially solve the problem, it hide the mura effect but (tell me if I'm wrong please) it should generate other problems such introduced black smearas. But I didn't tried the hack, I sent it back to amazon directly.
    I wish to buy it again....... but the poll say that the major part of the new SKU are defective. If anyone can suggest to me anything I would be really grateful.

edit.

or if Oculus could provide us a calibration tool to fix (or partially fix) the Mura DIY.

edit.

I bought again it, hope.
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/57630/can-you-help-me-to-decide-please#latest

• OriginalSnakeOriginalSnake Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Scyto said:
    Oh and based on the reddit threads this is NOT a production issue it is purely a software issue - thats why using the usespud=0 makes the issue go away.
    I ordered the Rift in the summer sale and had the Green Mura effect pretty bad on both lenses it was really distracting especially in dark scenes as the it would be all you could see being the closest thing to focus on. This was the new SKU with the softer padding The Mura was quite uniform on both lenses and worse at the bottom as it was like banding across from left to right.

I finally got support to agree to RMA it and they sent me out a new unit... Looks like an older SKU as it had the thicker foam.. But alas this unit was also defective and felt even worse as the Mura was mainly in the right lens which produced a horrible feeling of the right eye being out of focus. The new unit also has a red line across the top of the display when using a DVI to HDMI adapter this did not happen on the first one.

I have submitted another ticket and now back in the process of trying to get another RMA sorted.. I'm new to VR and so far my experience has been awful and I'm wishing I didn't bother.

I tried the SPUD Tool to which does take it away but instead I have messed up colours and black levels. Resulting in red' ish grey and washed out blacks God rays are worse on this unit too.

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 725 Poster of the Week
    I think a number of people would appreciate an official statement by Oculus in regards to this issue.
    In particular, whether those who submitted a ticket in regards to this can expect a possible software fix...or whether the fix would be getting an "ok" unit in exchange.

As for me, I am doing "quite well" with Spud off, although I don't have a reference how things are supposed to look with Spud, in particular black levels.
  • Brent3466Brent3466 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I bought my rift during the summer sale, I did not get a game pad,
    and I have had no problems with Mura effect.
  • VRLAXVRLAX Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    I got the new package and mura effect is very prominent when it's very dark.
    It goes away if I spud-off so I'm keeping this one because RMAing is just pain in the ass
    Well...it sorta is, but your opinion may change when you play a horror game like Affected. Otherwise I am also doing fine with Spud off, but this makes *some* games really look bad. I guess it really depends what games you play. And the idea to have a Rift that can only play certain titles "alright"...well isn't very appealing.
  • VRLAXVRLAX Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    flexy123 said:
    but your opinion may change when you play a horror game like Affected.
    So, no chance of that lol
    NerveGear
    Support are now gonna RMA the second rift, they said they are in investigating the issue and they cant gurantee I will receive a defect free unit.  But as this one is worse over the right eye it makes it unplayable because it feels like it's always out of focus and makes you queasy.. on the first one it was over both and though distracting it didn't make you feel sick because it was uniform.. 

Another note the first rifts facial foam was like a soft sponge and not as good quality as the second one they sent me which was a thicker foam that felt more comfortable. 

I have asked if I could keep it to swap out in case the new one they send me comes with the lesser sponge...

Here's hoping my third will be defect free if not I may have to call it quits and ask for a full refund...

edited September 22
    The entire "issue" with this is really saddening and it kills my entire VR fun currently. I really wish they find what's going on.

As for the facial interfaces, of course I don't KNOW...but seeing that the interfaces are something that is worn and CAN be sticky/sweaty whatever....I imagine that they don't actually have a use for them when they come with RMAs...I'd not be surprised if they're actually being discarded. (I am pretty sure they will tell you whether you can keep it or not. I am not using the "new" foam since I use the Vrcover interface now, but I too think that the old/thicker was better. The new one just feels "cheap".

Just out of curiosity what is the first 3 serial numbers of your second Rift? Like WMHD30x or WMHD31x or something? Because the "thick" foam suggests an "old" unit (WMHD30xxxx) where the mura problem should either not exist or be extremely rare. So I am confused why your old unit has the mura stuff going on...

If now actual "old" units also show that problem...that would be interesting...
    Hiro Protagonist
    flexy123 said:
    cut

If now actual "old" units also show that problem...that would be interesting...
    take a look to the poll results at first post you can find some stats about old units with mura https://strawpoll.com/ww8xgc7b
    old units was another story reading those results, but they had few cases.

NerveGear
    It's 31.

Also they have said I can keep the facial interface so that's a bonus.

I will let you know how the Rift is when it arrives.
    Ok I am just reading my own email, he said "typically you can keep the facial intf. and the cable", but for this we need to inspect the entire headset so we appreciate if you send the cable. Which I read as I can keep the Intf.
    That I will definitely do.
  • Salvate_2112Salvate_2112 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    +1 God Ray issues on black backgrounds, games appear fine. Milky spot inside both lenses.
    God rays, we all have them...and especially if some game/app designers do stupid things like using white/bright text on black background. Basically, the higher the contrast, the more god rays. Good VR designers avoid such things.
    And "milky spots" COULD be internal lens reflections. Have them as well.
    edited September 24
    As for the Mura issue, I am absolutely convinced it is software. I am "obsessing" over this crap currently and even wrote tools so I can edit the Spud calibration images, with some VERY interesting results. (I can get the Rift to display *really* dark blacks with an actually very good gamma curve, which will likely also get rid of banding. I still haven't entirely managed to eliminate the mura "arcs" yet, still trying to understand how and why the Spud calibration patterns create these). Rest assured should I find a way to eliminate it, or some solution that everyone can use..I will let people know)
    NerveGear
    That would be great. If you find a solution you should sell it to oculus! It is appalling that a customer is closer to finding a solution than their entire Oculus tech team!
    Unfortunately I don't think it's solvable in software any longer, after having spent way too much on this. Your best bet would be to turn off Spud altogether respective RMA. Did you already get a replacement unit, and is it better? I still have mine here and have not sent it off yet.
    Hiro Protagonist
    flexy123 said:
    Unfortunately I don't think it's solvable in software any longer, after having spent way too much on this. Your best bet would be to turn off Spud altogether respective RMA. Did you already get a replacement unit, and is it better? I still have mine here and have not sent it off yet.
    I got a refound and bought a new one. the new unit have got mura on the bright scenes. so now there is some mura on the dark scenes but is very slightly ....but in bright scenes it's visible. it's like to see a veil over the 2 lenses. I cant' see shades of intensity, it's uniform, white/grey color. Do you may have some experiment I could make to try to fix it please?
    NerveGear
    I'm still waiting, I've tracked it and they received the returned unit on the 2nd October but when checking my orders it seems they've not shipped the replacement yet....

God knows what the holdup is.

I'll post back here with the results as soon as it arrives.
  • CmdrGoodDeathCmdrGoodDeath Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I'm still waiting, I've tracked it and they received the returned unit on the 2nd October but when checking my orders it seems they've not shipped the replacement yet....

God knows what the holdup is.

I'll post back here with the results as soon as it arrives.
    Well nothing yet?  :p
    Cybereality just dropped in another thread "there are issues with the current stock", and obviously we could speculate now what these issues are. (COUGH, COUGH). Just saying I am gladly taking 1-2 weeks longer wait if this means we get good units back!!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    edited October 10
    Just to clarify, my comment from the other thread was specifically regarding the shipping of replacement inventory. Not anything related to the quality of the product itself. We are still investigating the issue from this thread, and I don't know of a solution right now but we are looking into it. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • chinesedavechinesedave Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I am getting this terrible green noise on my brand new Rift, I have a new "VR Ready" HP Omen 17 w205na that I purchaced just for Vr purposes.

I see here that some Oculus staff have now replied, what is the recommended course of action?

I have literally just spent thousands of pounds and it is unusable. Please help. 

NerveGear
    Just to clarify, my comment from the other thread was specifically regarding the shipping of replacement inventory. Not anything related to the quality of the product itself. We are still investigating the issue from this thread, and I don't know of a solution right now but we are looking into it. Thanks.
    So If my replacement unit still has the same issue what would be your recommended course of action? I have received an email today saying my replacement has been shipped...
  • shiarishiari Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    I am getting this terrible green noise on my brand new Rift, I have a new "VR Ready" HP Omen 17 w205na that I purchaced just for Vr purposes.

I see here that some Oculus staff have now replied, what is the recommended course of action?

I have literally just spent thousands of pounds and it is unusable. Please help. 

That you spent "thousands" is entirely irrelevant to Oculus (after all you didn't spend all that on the Oculus store). Sure, you've spent hundreds on the Rift.

You'll have to create a ticket, this is a community forum: https://support.oculus.com/