cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vrTrek

ssshake
Honored Guest
Hey guys,

I just started working on a star trek inspired game for the Rift and Durovis Dive. I uploaded a windows build at http://daggasoft.com

It's super premature just throwing it out there if any nerds want to mess around in a shuttle craft.

34 REPLIES 34

drash
Heroic Explorer
This looks awesome, but I haven't actually fired it up yet as I'm away from my Rift for a few days. Looking forward to being a nerd in it though! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

jf3000
Honored Guest
Downloading and will report back.

qster123
Honored Guest
Very nice! I had to use the keyboard but it still felt nice to fly. I would swap the w & s keys though so it feels more like flight game.

I did try using my gamepad (not xbox360 controller) but I kept spinning around, but then I don't have much luck with any oculus demo on my gamepad 😞

Look forward to seeing more of this, I'll add a video and link on my site later!

VRoom
Honored Guest
So cool 🙂 Wasn't expecting much since it's early in development, but this was a nice surprise and it really shows a lot of promise!

ssshake
Honored Guest
Thanks all. Hey bud what controller are you using? I tested this on an xbox controller and a steelseries free controller. But I tested that on mobile.

Isn't W and S inverted? I thought I had it like that.

Other than designing basic controls I really can't take credit for the beauty here. All the models are from startrekmeshes.ch, and adding a repeating bridge ambient sound mp3 file goes a long way for immersion.

I really hope to smooth out the controls and onscreen display and start messing with adding some quests. I finally got some of the ship models' textures applied properly last night, which really improved.. everything about it. It was 3 am when that happened and I had to get to work, so give me the weekend. Check back often as I'll post changes frequently, but I won't advertise them because it's quicker not too. Just save the download link. I posted 5 versions since my original post yesterday for example. Same link.

camster
Honored Guest
I have had my Rift for a long time now and I have tried I think pretty much everything out there.
I must say this is an extremely good experience and is now one of my favourite Rift demo's.

I hope you continue on this project as I would love to play this as a real game/ST experience.

Best Regards
Pete

ssshake
Honored Guest
Thanks, I just updated the DL link. It'll be about 10 minutes before it's done uploading.

I spent most of the day trying to fix how the enterprise renders. Looks like the normals are pointing in all kinds of directions. I'm not very good at 3d modelling and this is a borrowed piece of work. If anyone has an enterprise that renders perfectly in Unity please hook me up.

Tomorrow I plan to work on refining the controls and working on gaze input. I want to used a gamepad for navigation in this game, but I want most actions to happen by gaze looks on the shuttle control panel. You can look at buttons to perform actions like, hail, raise shields, short range scan, long range scan, repair.

The panel in the show is a touch screen, so I think a gaze look, like seen in many rift demos is very appropriate rather than use gamepad buttons.

After I'm done that I'll start adding in actual game play.

If you go to Jupiter you'll see DS9.

This I need to fix:

-Engine audio gets screwy at high speeds
-Shuttle gets the shakes after long time at high speed
-pan/tilt/yaw and thrust/brake need to be more realistic

Luciferous
Consultant
Thanks for the hard work, really enjoyed this, reminds me of Planet 1.

Seemed laggy but I do have an old graphics card.

ssshake
Honored Guest
I'm really not being efficient with it yet, it lags sometimes on my high end rig too. I've added a low quality setting which should help a bit, but some of these models are just too much to be practical for a game. These models were created by enthusiasts who wanted to film animations or render high quality photos using an 3D modelling tool. I don't think they're meant to be rendered in real time like what I'm doing.

Glad you like it. I'm posting a new version in a couple of minutes.