cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lone Echo is great but...

MowTin
Expert Trustee
***Minor Spoilers***

I have no reason to replay the campaign because there's very little gameplay involved. 

All they had to do was give you a weapon and some enemies to shoot at. There could have been defensive robots that you had to shoot at as you progressed through the ship. Or even crew members who were infected. That would give me a reason to play again maybe on a higher difficulty level.

But as  it is, it's an amazing experience but it's just like an adventure game where you navigate through tight spaces and solve puzzles. It's such a missed opportunity. How hard is it to throw in some enemies and few weapons? 

Right now, I'm playing Doom 3 BFG in VR and that is far more fulfilling VR experience because you're fighting against monsters as you progress through the Mars installation. Lone Echo you progress through the ship and there are no real enemies just a few dangers. 

I just don't understand what some of these executives are thinking. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
25 REPLIES 25

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer
Well, if you're looking for a shooter, dont play an adventure game, right?
I am glad they didnt make this a so called action-adventure - a genre I dislike in general.

So not everyone thinks fighting and shooting enemies is an essential for every game... 😉

Siilk
Adventurer
Yeah, a different genre, simple as that.

Luciferous
Consultant
You do get lone echo arena for longevity.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Well, if you're looking for a shooter, dont play an adventure game, right?
I am glad they didnt make this a so called action-adventure - a genre I dislike in general.

So not everyone thinks fighting and shooting enemies is an essential for every game... 😉

Why spend so much money on an adventure game? The adventure game genre is not very popular. I don't hear many people raving about Myst. 

It was a great game. But throw in a cool mining laser you use as a weapon to fight hostile robot security on the ship and you suddenly have an amazing game. Missed opportunity. 

After playing Doom 3 BFG in VR,  it's clear to me that Oculus should have spent their money modding existing games to VR. They don't have enough time or money to make full length AAA games. 

Luciferous
Consultant
Oh dear you just insulted Myst, I'll hold your coat Zenbane. 🙂

aerodyne
Protege
I loved Lone Echo and will definitely re-play it. On the other hand I find RoboRecall and Arizona Sunshine mind-numbingly boring but I don't wish they were never made.   

MowTin
Expert Trustee

aerodyne said:

I loved Lone Echo and will definitely re-play it. On the other hand I find RoboRecall and Arizona Sunshine mind-numbingly boring but I don't wish they were never made.   

I guess you don't like shooting things. I love RoboRecall and Arizona Sunshine. I also love Lone Echo. But if I had to replay a game it would be Arizona Sunshine. I still play Robo Recall. 

@Luciferous I didn't  say I didn't like Myst. I never hear anyone talking about Myst. I've never even seen a Myst  gameplay video. My point wasn't to disparage Myst but that adventure games aren't very popular.  

Lone Echo could have been better (for those who enjoy shooters) with some lasers and enemy robots. 

Siilk
Adventurer

MowTin said:
Lone Echo could have been better (for those who enjoy shooters) with some lasers and enemy robots. 
At the same time this would've made it worse for those who enjoyed it's coherent hard sci-fi plot and absence of added "shooty things" just for the sake of pleasing FPS crowd.

I love FPS games since original Wolf&Doom days. I enjoyed the hell out of Robo recall and other VR "shooting galleries"; I like action games in general. But this had no impact on my enjoyment of Lone Echo as I took it for what it is: a cinematic hard sci-fi experience, which is a rare beast to catch a glimpse of nowadays. It's plot is captivating and coherent; it calls for no "shooty action" scenes, hence their absence natural. Your complains about about LE is like complaining about Martian being a bad movie because Matt Damon had no blasters and there was no Martian invaders for him to shoot.

But guess what? There's a lot of other FPS/shooting gallery games for VR to choose from, so we can rest assured that whenever we will find ourselves in need of some robots/zombies/aliens/fellow humans to shoot, we'll have a lot of titles to choose from.

Luciferous
Consultant
i was just joking @zenbane loves the game. 🙂