New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

New blog post: platform improvements on Rift and Gear VR

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,223 Oculus Staff
In case you missed it: our latest blog post highlights recent platform improvements across Rift and Gear VR. Updates including refunds and a new mobile Public Test Channel. Check out more here: https://www.oculus.com/blog/platform-power-ups-experience-improvements-on-rift-and-gear-vr/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 200
    Art3mis

Noone praises the long awaited refund policy? So lemmie be the first:

Hooooray! :)

• vermadasvermadas Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    "Your Rift Library, All in One Place"
    Not sure why this feature is being touted when its implementation is so half-baked. It's nice that the app shortcuts automatically appear, but many games on Steam require a launch parameter and the shortcuts just won't work for them. You can usually get around it by manually editing the manifest json file but this should be handled in a more first-class way. Let me modify this shortcut in a GUI somewhere. And why are external app shortcuts added to some mystery blacklist behind the scenes such that they can't be re-added? At least with the launch parameter issue I can modify the manifests, but I have been unable to find wherever this blacklist is being tracked.

On a more positive note, having refunds is definitely a welcome addition to the store.
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,269 Poster of the Week

Noone praises the long awaited refund policy? So lemmie be the first:

Hooooray! :)

not me, because we've had it in the UK for ages already and I took it for granted (just like steam) ;P
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    System: 8700k O/C 4.9ghz ACT awaiting Volta or at least Pascal Refresh!
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,256 Poster of the Week
    I'm sure that adopting Steam's refund policy will get more people to try experiences they are unsure about, but I worry about how easy it will be to abuse that... a lot of vr experiences are designed to be less than 2 hours long. Will the developers of such experiences get screwed over by petty cheapskates who think all short games (and music videos and short films) should be free?
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 813 Poster of the Week
    CrashFu said:
    I'm sure that adopting Steam's refund policy will get more people to try experiences they are unsure about, but I worry about how easy it will be to abuse that... a lot of vr experiences are designed to be less than 2 hours long. Will the developers of such experiences get screwed over by petty cheapskates who think all short games (and music videos and short films) should be free?
    yeah, I wondered that as well.. if I'd written/produced a short experience and was doing the right thing and not charging $20 for it, I'd be pissed if people could finish it and then get their money back.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • zork2001zork2001 Posts: 525
    Trinity
    I like where Oculus head is at; truth of the matter if they keep going down the path of creating a seamless user experience, one of which the user does not have to download anything and can try a demo of any software without have to first purchase than you hardly will even need the return policy, you only need one now because no one ever knows what they are buying.
  • Cain_BloodbaneCain_Bloodbane Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    This Core 2.0 update, I am pretty sure it will help sell a lot more Rifts. I showed it to someone considering to buy a Vive... seemed like he felt more like getting the Rift after seeing what you can do with Dash.

Its such a game changer.
  • jimynjinyjimynjiny Posts: 3
    NerveGear
     It's nice that the app shortcuts automatically appear, but many games on Steam require a launch parameter and the shortcuts just won't work for them. You can usually get around it by manually editing the manifest json file but this should be handled in a more first-class way.
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 818
    Neo
    CrashFu said:
    I think there is a simple answer to the experiences - if the refunds are checked before being issued, it would be very easy. If you've "experienced" over 50% = no refund (for example) - adjust according to length of item purchased.