New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Medium Mesh Import Guide

duncankellerduncankeller Posts: 16 Oculus Staff
edited September 2017 in Oculus Medium
Hey all,

My name is Duncan, I'm a dev on the Medium team. I know some people have been asking for an import guide, so I wrote up some short guidelines. This guide is targeted specifically to Reference Meshes, though there's certainly some overlap with stamps. There isn't all that much to it, but with textured meshes coming online it seemed like as good a time as any. If there's anything you'd like more detail on, let me know and I can update it.

Thanks!

Comments

• WreckLuse68WreckLuse68 Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    Thank ye, kind Sir :)
    When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    This is very nice though I am having varied results with the import. It would be nice to just be able to import full res sculpts from one project to another and not loose so much detail via stamp. I don' t know if I make sense.
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    Henri1970 said:
    This is very nice though I am having varied results with the import. It would be nice to just be able to import full res sculpts from one project to another and not loose so much detail via stamp. I don' t know if I make sense.
    To bring in a higher res sculpt, import your desired mesh as a reference mesh, up res the layer 2 times, convert the ref mesh to sculpt. Should do the trick.
  • kentcaldwellkentcaldwell Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Thanks a bunch for this guide. I do a lot of sculpting in Zbrush / Medium but rarely any texture work, so I apologize but I'm a big novice with things like normal / texture maps. I'm working on my workflow to take models in Zbrush and make them workable stamps in Medium. I am able to import everything fine, but the previews of the stamps that I import are all black instead of the typical nice gray shader preview.

I'm not sure if this means my normals are flipped, or I'm not including a proper image file (have tried coupling an mtl and image file with my obj, but still the same results. Also, including a  .bmp texture file was causing Medium to crash for me whenever I pressed import....)

Anybody else using Zbrush have some tips to get the models imported into Medium with nice previews?
  • EchoFaceRepairShopEchoFaceRepairShop Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    How do we import them textured?
  • SussurusSussurus Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thank you for this.  I'm having an issue, though -- I have FBX and OBJ files that import correctly (according to the messages I get) but then fail to copy from AppData/Local/Temp/occulusmedium into my Documents/Medium/Reference Meshes/<username>/Custom (again, according to an error message I get for both the fbx and the obj files).  Is this some kind of permissions issue for the filesystem or an issue with my meshes?  Thanks in advance for your help.
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    Sussurus said:
    Thank you for this.  I'm having an issue, though -- I have FBX and OBJ files that import correctly (according to the messages I get) but then fail to copy from AppData/Local/Temp/occulusmedium into my Documents/Medium/Reference Meshes/<username>/Custom (again, according to an error message I get for both the fbx and the obj files).  Is this some kind of permissions issue for the filesystem or an issue with my meshes?  Thanks in advance for your help.
    Yeah that's usually folder permissions not being admin level. 
  • JPBensonJPBenson Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    so far I have only been able to import meshes with colored verts. Is it possible to import them textured? The guide says "Copy to Clay and textured reference meshes are both new features in version 1.2.2.", but I dont see how to get textured meshes to import. Any help?
  • jessicazetajessicazeta Posts: 127 Oculus Staff
    Hey @JPBenson, if you drop in the OBJ, mtl file, and all the accompanying image files into your C:\Users\\Documents\Medium\_Import\Reference Meshes\ and then click "Import" on the Ref Mesh panel, you should be good to go. Let me know if you don't see em or you encounter errors.

More info is on page 2 of the doc!

"OBJ​ - Medium uses a non-standard extension to the OBJ file format to support vertex colors inside the OBJ file. For textures, we require a .obj file, accompanying .mtl file, and all image files. We support one diffuse texture per subset. All files should be included in the Medium Import folder"
  • timfleetimflee Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited April 22
    Hi all.
    Let me first start by saying how impressed I am with Medium. I find it very richly featured (at least for my needs), intuitive and the controls very well thought out.

I’m a mechatronics engineer developing medical instruments and the company I work with has just started dipping its toe into the VR space. Medium gives us many (almost all) of the features we are initially looking for, but, a problem with importing colours and textures in through reference meshes is really limiting the potential.

Specifically, I am exporting files from Solidworks (3D CAD) and trying to import them into Medium WHILE still retaining the colours and textures of the original CAD model in Medium.

I believe I’m following the instructions in the various guides and manuals (but very happy to have any mistakes in my process pointed out) and have tried pretty much everything I can think of to get things working. Almost all of my attempts result in grey meshes in medium with no texture or colour. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

So, down to what I am confident is working and what I have tried so far.

I am successfully able to export .obj and .fbx texture and coloured models from Solidworks using the following tools:

I’m pretty confident that everything is exporting fine as I’m able to open any of the .obj and .fbx exported files Windows 10 Paint 3D and everything looks great. However when I put all the files (.obj, .mtl, .jpg .fbx) in the Medium import directory (C:\Users\\Documents\Medium\_Import\Reference Meshes\) they only appear in medium as grey models with no colour or texture.

Interestingly, I downloaded a lego man from the net (.obj with texture) and not only does it open in Paint 3D (as you would expect) but it imports into medium just fine (looks awesome with the textures and colours!) So, just to reiterate, every file other than the lego man is one that I exported from Solidworks and opens perfectly in paint 3D but just as a dull l grey solid in Medium.

I then started looking closely at the differences between the lego man file set and a simple .obj block I exported from Solidworks (“textured block.obj”). I first modified lego man’s .mtl to point at the same .jpeg as my “texture block”. Lego man still imported fine into Medium. I then noticed that there were some slight differences in the structure/code of the .mtl files, so I changed the textured block .mtl to look exactly like the sections the lego man .tml (and called the new .obj and .mtl “textured block 1”).

I was now reasonably convinced that the problem was not with the .jpg or the .mtl file so turned my attention to comparing the .obj files of the lego man and by “textured block 1”. To my reading, there appear to be a few slight structural/syntactic differences in the structure to the two .obj files, but honestly I have no idea how to read the .obj “language” and therefore how significant the differences are.

If anyone is able to help me find the issue or provide any guidance I would be deeply appreciative. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to try and load all these models into Medium and report if you have similar success with lego man and failure with everything else.

I've placed all the relevant files on a sharepoint location that you can get the files I've been using from.

Cheers
    Tim

NerveGear
    edited April 27
    Somehow it (ok probably I) posted multiple times, but can't delete duplicates?
    NerveGear
    edited April 27

Somehow it (ok probably I) posted multiple times, but can't delete duplicates?

• GoguerreroGoguerrero Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Hello I've been wondering if I can import several objects at the same time keeping them in their own layer ?
  • duncankellerduncankeller Posts: 16 Oculus Staff
    Hello I've been wondering if I can import several objects at the same time keeping them in their own layer ?
    No, currently there is no way to do this. Keep an eye out for future updates. Without saying too much, this is something I'm very eager to add.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    I imported a .obj  file per the manual above.  Now I have moved it into my work area.  I can move it around or get closer to it nor can I paint it.  Maybe someone can post what I should do or do I just make a model using my import as a
    reference?
  • GoguerreroGoguerrero Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    No, currently there is no way to do this. Keep an eye out for future updates. Without saying too much, this is something I'm very eager to add.
    Can´t wait! Thanks!

just tossing some other ideas :

Masks
    Create extracts from said masks

Seriously thanks
    I love Oculus Medium It has become a very important part of my workflow

• Calimero_OeufCalimero_Oeuf Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Impossible to save to a new object with correct scale (for home) an imported object
    Error when saving.

I imported a wonderwoman character, I can see it in Medium but always error when saving or exporting for home

Help please

Ma configuration Oculus Rift + 3 capteurs et câbles longueur 5 mètres :
    Cable USB 3.0 en 5 mètres x4
    Cable HDMI en 5 mètres x1
    Répétiteur HDMI x1
    Hub USB 3.0 pour 1 ou 2 capteurs x1
    Hub USB alimenté pour le casque  x1

• JPBensonJPBenson Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    @jessicazeta - I never got this working. or if I did, I didn't realize it worked. with the newer version of medium has it changed how importing textured models works?

I am so complexed by medium's import functionality. Even with the new version and the guide here, things are difficult to understand. I want to import a mesh, use medium to fix it up, and export it so that it re-imports back into my original workflow perfectly. How do I do that? Each time I try (over 100 times!) it's a different size, or flipped sideways, or way off to the side. How do I get it back into my original program in the same exact orientation as I originally had???

@JPBenson - With 2.0 we made no substantial changes to the importing flow that affects transform, but we do realize how crazy it is right now. Definitely something that we want to address, we just need to find the time and the best way to do it. 
  • SpacepainterSpacepainter Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited September 11
    @JPBenson - With 2.0 we made no substantial changes to the importing flow that affects transform, but we do realize how crazy it is right now. Definitely something that we want to address, we just need to find the time and the best way to do it.
      I hope it is fixed soon, medium is an ideal tool to work with imported ( photogrammetry ) scans.  When trying to import I get confused by the long strings needed to find the right location and the terrible zip in zip ( so nineties ) that sketchfab uses.
    The object I imported gets lost, disappears and is nowhere to be found. Would be nice if a textured object was just one simple file that you could throw in a scene like a piece of lego without having to do all this bookkeeping in windows.

edited September 12
    @Spacepainter ; - I getchu about the imports coming in a bit janky.

To your point about bookkeeping in Windows - The import functionality of the in-VR asset browser does still require some file organization in your local directory (we can't unzip files in Medium for example), though texture files will get imported just as simply as meshes once you get to that point.
  • AlexanderLeeCGAlexanderLeeCG Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Is there any way to import a mesh and sculpt on it without changing the topology? I'd like to be able to swap back and forth between Zbrush and Medium while sculpting my model, but it would be much more effective if I was able to preserve the topology from Zbrush.

Also, is there any way to turn off smooth shading? I'd like to be able to see the actual polygons I'm working with, with flat shading and sharp edges.
  • virtualswedenvirtualsweden Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    edited October 6
    Have been using Medium to clean models before but now I get a lot of hole and strange extra material.

Comparison between model in Meshmixer and Medium.

• virtualswedenvirtualsweden Posts: 26
    Brain Burst

@AlexanderLeeCG Since Medium is a voxel-based program, when we import polygonal meshes from other programs, we convert from the triangular mesh to signed distance fields and unfortunately, lose that original topology (mesh connectivity). We don't currently have the ability to look at polygons while sculpting in Medium but noted as a suggestion!

@virtualsweden ; Looks like your imported mesh has some holes. Medium does our best to make your mesh water tight when it doesn't come in as such, but for quite hole-y (PUN INTENDED) meshes, we can't get them all, which results in the artifact you're seeing in the 2nd photo.