cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor tracking quality, audio glitches, lagging etc after half hour of use

Urma_Gurd
Protege
I have a self built gaming PC which has had no issues with games, and have just added Oculus Rift Touch Bundle. At first everything is fine, perfect VR experience, but after about 20 minutes to half hour of use, the tracking starts to get jittery, the audio sounds garbled and corrupted, and games start to lag. Exit out the VR menus and you can see in Oculus application that there are poor tracking quality issues, either on the sensors or the headset or both.

I've tried every USB port combinations (USB 2.0 and 3.0). I've disconnected all USB devices except mouse and keyboard and the 3 Oculus USB plugs. I've killed all other applications with Task Manager. I reboot the PC and things are ok again briefly but then it all goes wrong again.

Please help diagnose.

PC specs:
i5-6600K
ASUS Z170-P mobo
8GB RAM
MSI GTX 970
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.15063

61 REPLIES 61

cybereality
Grand Champion
Could be a app/service on your machine that is conflicting. Asus software could be problematic, like Asus AI Suite or Sonic Suite, and should be uninstalled. If you upload you LogGatherer zip file, I can take a look. 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...
Also, feel free to submit a support ticket. Thanks.
https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Richooal
Consultant

Could be a app/service on your machine that is conflicting. Asus software could be problematic, like Asus AI Suite or Sonic Suite, and should be uninstalled

Yes.
I have the same motherboard, CPU and RAM. I had the same problems. It was pretty much unusable.
After uninstalling all the Asus software it was like a new experience.
Please try that first.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Siilk
Adventurer
Sounds like your CPU or GPU is overheating. Try monitoring the temperature while playing and see how high it goes.

Urma_Gurd
Protege

I have the same motherboard, CPU and RAM. I had the same problems. It was pretty much unusable.
After uninstalling all the Asus software it was like a new experience.
Please try that first.

Yes I did that couple of days ago as I saw someone else had that issue with AI Suite. But same problem.

I’ll download loggatherer and see where that goes. I’ll also check CPU and GPU temps, but I’d be surprised as I’ve never had temp problems with other more intensive games like Witcher 3. 

jimmybob56
Honored Guest
I have exactly the same issue re juddering and sound drop out, showing poor tracking 8602 after months of working fine except my juddering is there immediately in home screen,game menus and in game. Oculus software says poor sensor tracking 8602 error and I can’t change this all cpu GPUs temps within same range they always have , see my post and have opened support ticket about this issue. I have msi board gfx card and no extra manufacturer software installed apart from drivers. Reinstalled oculus software and can’t get past poor sensor connectivity setup I have 2 both showing usb 3.0 but 8602 tracking errors leading to judder with headset on. Hoping it’s a driver update issue that gets resolved.

James

Anonymous
Not applicable
I get similar issues in Gorn. Sometimes I'll lose sound just when I get a decapitation and it goes into slow motion, then sound will come back as soon as normal speed resumes. I've also had issues where if I go wild with the two handed hammer the game stutters, goes to the "sensor setup screen" and then back into the game. I think these issues are probably to do with Gorn and not so much the Rift. (running on a GTX 1080 which has yet to have any trouble with anything I throw at it)

Urma_Gurd
Protege
Just to clarify, this isn't in any specific game, it's in all VR experiences, games, menus etc. Once the tracking problems start, the errors appear in Oculus application, the sound goes garbled and frame rates drop. Just gets worse and worse until restart and I have to move the connectors into different USB slots. Problem goes away for a short while then come back again.

Urma_Gurd
Protege
I've raised a support ticket (would rather not post log files about my PC on open forum).

I'll update this thread with progress from the ticket.

Thanks

Urma_Gurd
Protege
My other PC works fine and that just has basic USB 2.0 ports. Just too slow to play anything decent.

And so it seems the ASUS Z170 motherboard is known on this forum to be incompatible with Rift with exactly the symptoms I reported. Oculus Support came to this conclusion too. They recommended I get a USB 3.0 PCI E card with Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset so I bought an Inateck one for £20
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

Will see see how I get on with it tomorrow.