New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Poor tracking quality, audio glitches, lagging etc after half hour of use

Urma.GurdUrma.Gurd Posts: 29
Brain Burst
I have a self built gaming PC which has had no issues with games, and have just added Oculus Rift Touch Bundle. At first everything is fine, perfect VR experience, but after about 20 minutes to half hour of use, the tracking starts to get jittery, the audio sounds garbled and corrupted, and games start to lag. Exit out the VR menus and you can see in Oculus application that there are poor tracking quality issues, either on the sensors or the headset or both.

I've tried every USB port combinations (USB 2.0 and 3.0). I've disconnected all USB devices except mouse and keyboard and the 3 Oculus USB plugs. I've killed all other applications with Task Manager. I reboot the PC and things are ok again briefly but then it all goes wrong again.

Please help diagnose.

PC specs:
i5-6600K
ASUS Z170-P mobo
8GB RAM
MSI GTX 970
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.15063

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,223 Oculus Staff
    Could be a app/service on your machine that is conflicting. Asus software could be problematic, like Asus AI Suite or Sonic Suite, and should be uninstalled. If you upload you LogGatherer zip file, I can take a look. 
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    Also, feel free to submit a support ticket. Thanks.
    https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 356
    Trinity
    edited October 6
    Could be a app/service on your machine that is conflicting. Asus software could be problematic, like Asus AI Suite or Sonic Suite, and should be uninstalled

Yes.
    I have the same motherboard, CPU and RAM. I had the same problems. It was pretty much unusable.
    After uninstalling all the Asus software it was like a new experience.
    Please try that first.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • SiilkSiilk Posts: 108
    Art3mis
    Sounds like your CPU or GPU is overheating. Try monitoring the temperature while playing and see how high it goes.
  • Urma.GurdUrma.Gurd Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I have the same motherboard, CPU and RAM. I had the same problems. It was pretty much unusable.
    After uninstalling all the Asus software it was like a new experience.
    Please try that first.
    Yes I did that couple of days ago as I saw someone else had that issue with AI Suite. But same problem.

I’ll download loggatherer and see where that goes. I’ll also check CPU and GPU temps, but I’d be surprised as I’ve never had temp problems with other more intensive games like Witcher 3. 
  • jimmybob56jimmybob56 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I have exactly the same issue re juddering and sound drop out, showing poor tracking 8602 after months of working fine except my juddering is there immediately in home screen,game menus and in game. Oculus software says poor sensor tracking 8602 error and I can’t change this all cpu GPUs temps within same range they always have , see my post and have opened support ticket about this issue. I have msi board gfx card and no extra manufacturer software installed apart from drivers. Reinstalled oculus software and can’t get past poor sensor connectivity setup I have 2 both showing usb 3.0 but 8602 tracking errors leading to judder with headset on. Hoping it’s a driver update issue that gets resolved.

James
  • Smashed_PumpkinSmashed_Pumpkin Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    I get similar issues in Gorn. Sometimes I'll lose sound just when I get a decapitation and it goes into slow motion, then sound will come back as soon as normal speed resumes. I've also had issues where if I go wild with the two handed hammer the game stutters, goes to the "sensor setup screen" and then back into the game. I think these issues are probably to do with Gorn and not so much the Rift. (running on a GTX 1080 which has yet to have any trouble with anything I throw at it)
    Brain Burst
    Just to clarify, this isn't in any specific game, it's in all VR experiences, games, menus etc. Once the tracking problems start, the errors appear in Oculus application, the sound goes garbled and frame rates drop. Just gets worse and worse until restart and I have to move the connectors into different USB slots. Problem goes away for a short while then come back again.
    Brain Burst
    I've raised a support ticket (would rather not post log files about my PC on open forum).

I'll update this thread with progress from the ticket.

Thanks
    Brain Burst
    My other PC works fine and that just has basic USB 2.0 ports. Just too slow to play anything decent.

And so it seems the ASUS Z170 motherboard is known on this forum to be incompatible with Rift with exactly the symptoms I reported. Oculus Support came to this conclusion too. They recommended I get a USB 3.0 PCI E card with Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset so I bought an Inateck one for £20
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

Will see see how I get on with it tomorrow. 
    Trinity
    Urma.Gurd said:

And so it seems the ASUS Z170 motherboard is known on this forum to be incompatible with Rift

Just to be clear and not mislead people.......
    The motherboard is certainly not incompatible with the Rift.
    I believe that there are reports of the ASUS software being incompatible. I'm using the ASUS Z170-P with it's own USB ports (no add-on card) and the Rift runs fine. I had to uninstall all the ASUS software that came with it though.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 705 Poster of the Week

I actually just started getting this jittering issue this morning.

First time I had ever seen this issue took off the headset and went to other things I don't need a headache lol.

WAAAGH!
    Brain Burst
    As above, I have already uninstalled all the ASUS software and still have these issues. If you search these forums you’ll see a lot of people with this motherboard having identical issues.

But it's interesting you have a Z170-P and are not having any issues. Can you clarify:
    • What OS version (exact version)?
    • What graphics card?
    • What games are you playing with Oculus?
    • What CPU?
    • What memory (speed and size)?
    • Are you using front USBs, or just the rear USBs?
    • What other USB devices have you plugged in to Z170-P?
    Brain Burst
    edited October 9
    Morgrum said:

I actually just started getting this jittering issue this morning.

First time I had ever seen this issue took off the headset and went to other things I don't need a headache lol.

Do you know if Windows installed any updates in the last week? You can check in Windows Updates->Update History
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 705 Poster of the Week
    edited October 9

good call maybe last night or this morning

Nope my last update was 9/30

Edit to the Edit.

FIXED!

The issue ended up being a power management problem for some reason my computer decided to take itself off of high performance mode and set itself to energy saver mode...... Yea dumb computer!

WAAAGH!
    Brain Burst
    edited October 9
    So installed the Inateck 4-Port USB 3.0 PCI-E Card KTU3FR-4P and same problem.

I don't have a CD drive in my PC so went to this link to download latest:
    https://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4p-usb-3-0-pci-express-karte-mit-4-usb-3-0-ports.html
    It says "No additional drivers are needed for Win8, it has built-in support for the FL1100 chipset." So do you need to install drivers for Win10?

Anyway, I installed them from the link... and still Oculus application says "USB driver update recommended".

So I system restored to before the driver install, and instead downloaded these:
    https://support.frescologic.com/portal/kb/articles/latest-drivers - FLUSB3.0-3.8.33709

Oculus application is now happy.

BUT! Still same issue after 20 mins or so of playing.

So what now? I've just wasted £20 on a PCI E card. 

Trinity
    edited October 9
    Urma.Gurd said:
    But it's interesting you have a Z170-P and are not having any issues. Can you clarify:

I had issues, badly stuttering sound and tracking making things unplayable after only a couple of minutes.
    • What OS version (exact version)?
    Windows 10 Build 15063
    • What graphics card?
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC edition
    • What games are you playing with Oculus?
    The problem happened back in early July but the 2 games it was noticeable in were Robo Recall and Nanite Fulcrum (mini game). They have both been flawless since removing the ASUS software.
    • What CPU?
    Intel i5 6600k @ 3.5 GHz
    • What memory (speed and size)?
      2 x 4GB DDR3 1333
    • Are you using front USBs, or just the rear USBs?
    I've used Front/Rear and all Rear. Both work the same. For the last few months they've all been on the rear sockets for tidiness.
    • What other USB devices have you plugged in to Z170-P?
    Corsair RGB Strafe on USB 3.0 (rear)
    Steelseries Sensei mouse on USB 2.0 (rear)

While it's obvious that people with the ASUS Z170 boards are having problems, I think that we are seeing "Z170" in searches simply because they are very popular boards. The search results I found mentioned Z170 as a system spec, but the problems weren't all with the board.
    Good luck with your investigation, I hope you sort it soon.

Brain Burst
    edited October 10
    LOL, that article just says this for USB problems:
    "Some Rift users have experienced problems with the USB controller on their motherboard. The response from Oculus is to update drivers or buy a USB expansion card, but if you want a real solution, check out these motherboards that work with your Rift."

I have completely exhausted the normal cable, socket, motherboard, expansion, USB drivers, OS update route. Given that some ASUS Z170-P owners can get this to work with same OS, CPU and almost GFX card as me, that leaves 3 things left:
    • Software
    • Firmware (BIOS)
    • Memory speed (mine is Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR4 3000Mhz kit)
    I've seen other comments about running the Z170 at memory speeds anything other than "stock", however my stock memory is 3000. I tried underclocking to as low as 1866 and still same issues. I'll try underclocking to 1333 tonight.

Edit: 3 things, added firmware
    Brain Burst
    Richooal said:
    2 x 4GB DDR3 1333
    Good luck with your investigation, I hope you sort it soon.
    Yeah I'll try underclocking my 3000 to 1333 tonight, as other than that, our systems are pretty much identical.

If that doesn't work, then I'll install a fresh Win10 on a temp partition. If that works, then looks like a reinstall of Win10 is on the cards! If it doesn't.... maybe BIOS? What ASUS BIOS version do you have?

Brain Burst
    Didn’t underclock, but did a new Win10 install on a spare SSD, with complete Windows update, installed Oculus and Fresco Logic FL1100 USB drivers and Echo Arena. Win10 update installed GTX970 drivers and that was all.

Played Echo Arena for well over an hour without any tracking issues.

So it is something to do with the software I’ve got installed on my original Win10 install.

hmm... so how am I going to find that out?! Any ideas?
    Urma.Gurd said:
    hmm... so how am I going to find that out?! Any ideas?
    You can try installing only the apps you absolutely need on the new OS install and test one-by-one to see which one is conflicting.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    I’ll try other way round. Uninstall stuff from my original install. Got some antivirus and system clean up utilities to try removing first. 
    Brain Burst
    edited October 11
    No luck. Uninstalled everything except games, turned off loads of services so that only ones running were same as on my second PC (which doesn’t have the problem), killed applications... same problem. I’m stumped. Only solution is to reinstall OS, and we’ll never know what it is that causes this issue.
    Brain Burst
    Final update to this thread - I reinstalled Windows 10 pro, Windows updated, installed Steam, Oculus, Origin, Blizzard, Malware bytes, Fresco Logic USB drivers... re-installed all my games including Oculus games.

All working fine now.
  • aiseposaisepos Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I was obsequiously very frustrated  having a excellent gear and now the Rift and after setting it up to be annoyed by the continuous tracking issue... I spent 2 days, with 6 hours sleep altogether to find a solution. I tried every possible combination of plugin the cables to different  USB slots, uninstalling driver and Oculus... BIOS setting... Nothing worked! It got worst!
    However, finally at the end of the second day I find the solution, for my gear at least (ASUS 710-A, GTX1080). The damn XMP profile has to be switch off in BIOS!!! It is a paradox, but after this move, everything goes like a charm and I can finally enjoy the VR! No cables, external power source or hell knows what PCI card for USB... It is simple as this :)
    Hopefully, for you guys the above solution will work too
  • UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 237
    Art3mis
    @aisepos ;look up my name in these forums and you’ll understand why I’m about to get a little emotional right now..... I have been having these issues forever.... Like for six plus months of having the Rift. I have refreshed my computer about 10 times and also have gone through support, disabled USBs, reinstalled oculus more times than I can count, and many other things trying to remedy these constant performance issues that I’ve had.

I probably have dealt with 10 different oculus representatives from support and no one has ever given me this, this answer to my constant dread. Wait for it........

You have solved my issue sir and for that you have made my holiday season a great one!!!!

This needs to be sticky’d or turned into a post by itself. The cure to the stutter and judder and hitching. This simple thing made it perfect!!!!!! Oculus should hire you.

THANK YOU!!!!
    Amazing! I'll be sure to share this info with the team in case anyone else has the same issue. 
    Art3mis
    Yes please cybereality scream it to the heavens!! We finally figured it out!!!  Thanks to all that troubleshooted all this time with me. I really appreciate everyone putting in their best effort to figure this out. That’s what makes the community great! 
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2
    Just a word of caution. I tried disabling XMP profile in settings, also under clocking my memory etc. None of that worked. 

Think about it. I had the tracking issues on my PC, then re-installed Windows 10 and my tracking problems permanently disappeared. The bios was not changed, “just” the operating system. 

So be cautious about saying disabling XMP is the solution. It wasn’t for me. 
    Art3mis
     So I thought this fixed everything yesterday.  For some reason after turning off XMP  yesterday there was a huge improvement in the beginning. I actually could play killing floor with no performance problems at all. 100% flawless and I have never had that since I owned it.  Today I tried again and it is stuttering bad again. I say that with a real heavy heart because I got so excited yesterday and today it was running poorly again. I’ve been afraid to post my results today because I made it sound like this guy saved the world but I think I was wrong no fault of his at all of course. He gave m I’m going to take it back to the computer store again today and have him load nothing but windows and I will do the rest. Then I know I can control the situation a little better because he may of been doing something that messed up everything from the beginning. I’m sorry guys!! :(