New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Buying a replacement HMD

cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 896
3Jane
I posted earlier about how my headset was experiencing a random flashing while I was using it. Now the problem has gotten worse with it frequently blacking out, so I opened a support ticket with oculus.  After some back-and-forth with support, it appears that the problem is not resolvable by email, and it is out of warranty.  The next step may be getting it repaired or replaced.  Knowing that repairing electronic devices often just isn't worth it, I'm thinking of simply buying a new or remanufactured replacement HMD.   However, is it possible to save money by buying just a headset? Since I already have the carrying case, the sensors, and the Xbox and touch controllers, I don't need new ones.  I could just look on eBay but I'd rather not mess around with that. 

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Unfortunately, replacement headsets are not for sale at this time.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 896
    3Jane
    edited October 2017
     I guess my only other options are buying a whole new Rift or getting my old one repaired. Best Buy used to sell Rifts, but I'll bet repairs or inspections are not something the local Geek Squad can handle. 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,628 Valuable Player
    edited October 2017
    That's a real bummer.  They really should be selling them separately in my opinion.

If it were me, with no other option, i'd order the new bundle and take some time tearing the broken one down and see if i could fix it, at the same time, you're learning more about how the headset works - if you're in to that kind of thing.

Blog about it on here if you do pull it to pieces!   :) 
  • nilz23nilz23 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    "Unfortunately, replacement headsets are not for sale at this time. "

WTF?!?!?
  • nilz23nilz23 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Ok, it's really not worth even bothering to fix a broken one, but the fact that you can't buy one on its own....
    3Jane
    edited October 2017

Blog about it on here if you do pull it to pieces!   :) 
     I probably will! IFixit also does teardowns. 

I will definitely save the old one for parts. I've already had to replace one of the earphones. 
    3Jane
     Well, I just heard back from Oculus support and it turns out that oculus does NOT have a repair service at this time. Nor do they have a remanufactured products program. Nor do they have the ability to sell just the headset. So, it's off to eBay I go, I guess. One of the drawbacks of being a (semi) early adopter. 
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,204 Valuable Player
    edited October 2017
    I can understand not a repair service - but can we get a comment on why we can not buy the headset alone from the store or from Oculus directly after a ticket? 

I can understand if it was like 1-2 year release wait cycle - but 3-4 wait cycle will need the option going forward. If I can, I like to throw any weight I have on a comment from Oculus on why we can't do this just yet?

Not that I haven't any problems, but It is a bit scary if I can not buy a replacement unit:)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,628 Valuable Player
    The conversation has come up several times with no reason given (i think).  Here's the last one.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/56235/summer-rift-sale-great-but
    3Jane
    edited October 2017
    The CV1 has been out a little over a year now, a lot of people's warranties are expiring, and I suspect a lot of HMDs may start to develop faults with NO repair or replacement path by Oculus.  :#
  • Narcoleptic_RageNarcoleptic_Rage Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    You do realise that not offering a repair or replacement service is actually illegal. Even if outside of warranty you are required by law to allow for customers to have the ability to retain the proper service, even if paid for or be be held liable for every service you have denied each and every Australian customer if a complaint is made to the ACCC.

It would be better to make some money from the replacement parts & repairs than to lose money in multi-million dollar fines. Especially since the product is still currently being sold & the parts are still being manufactured.

Apple & Valve have already been sent through the wringer over such practices already. In fact it was Apple that triggered the crackdown on poor after sales services after warranties.
    Truth be told it happen to me too soooo I now feel OP pain now:) granted this is an old thread - but I feel like a follow up would be nice at this point.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,285 Valuable Player
    I've had my Rift since release back in 2016, and it's been through hell n' back; not just from me but from multiple family, friends, and colleagues. The closest issue I have had so far is that one of the speakers came lose, which was easily remedied with a screwdriver.

If my Rift got damaged and it wasn't something that could easily be fixed or repaired... I'd just buy a new one. Because $350 is mighty cheap compared to the launch price of $600.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited January 28
    The problem, at least for me, is that I have all the cameras and working controllers - so buying another set just means I am stuck with extra stuff I dont need - sure I could sell it - but that also means I have to be in the middle for any returns/warrants plus finding someone willing to buy it.

For any price less - it just going to make it a better deal than paying the full price - really - why can't they just sell the HMD stand alone? Just seems weird to me at this point. I mean I understood at the start maybe why - but now it just seem a bit strange.

Yea mine work - that night before. I take care of mine and put it up each time. Just the next day it stop working after I got done playing and went to bed. It wasn't drop, kick, or bash into anything. Just fail. I do wonder if it still wasn't a bad firmware upgrade (I do hate how it pushes updates without asking if it is ok first). Oculus on the other hand said - they wouldn't even look at it as it was outside of warranty.

In a few more months it wont matter anyways - I will be telling people to hold out on getting a CV1 as it'll be better off to get either the Oculus Quest or wait for the CV2.
  • GATOxVoSGATOxVoS Posts: 439
    Trinity
    edited January 28
    You do realise that not offering a repair or replacement service is actually illegal. Even if outside of warranty you are required by law to allow for customers to have the ability to retain the proper service, even if paid for or be be held liable for every service you have denied each and every Australian customer if a complaint is made to the ACCC.

It would be better to make some money from the replacement parts & repairs than to lose money in multi-million dollar fines. Especially since the product is still currently being sold & the parts are still being manufactured.

Apple & Valve have already been sent through the wringer over such practices already. In fact it was Apple that triggered the crackdown on poor after sales services after warranties.
    Not in the USA :)

Afaik, the manufacturer only has to guarantee the product's working life within the warranty's period (if the product even has a warranty to begin with). If the product fails outside of that warranty, it's up to the customers to "vote with their money" by purchasing from another company the next time. It's a real "Buyer Beware" situation over here :/

We can file complaints about bad products, but unless it's something really egregious you're out-of-luck. In the end, when you purchase something over here you're signing the Limited-Liability agreement that accompanies the product: an agreement which the manufacturer writes which usually heavily favors the manufacturer in terms of repairs/replacements outside of the warranty. Always check your warranties people!
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
    16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    850W Corsair HX850 PSU
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 987
    3Jane

@Narcoleptic_Rage
    I've lived in Australia for a loooong time, I've never heard of such a ridiculous law. Please provide a link, I'd be happy to be proved wrong on this.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • LeeWheelerLeeWheeler Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    You have in the EU 2 years warranty under LAW, it supersedes ANY warranty offered by a company.   Just quote that at them !
    3Jane
     I see Best Buy offers a two year extended warranty for $70. I'm going to need it, because my SECOND rift just went on the blink!  I was using it tonight to play Skyrim VR and I noticed the strange, intermittent flashing that I noticed with my first one, but this time it gave me little advance notice, because just minutes after I saw the flashes, the headset went completely black! I tried restarting the computer and I got about one minute of use out of the rift when it blacked out again!  I could tell the Rift's connection to the computer was still good, because the mirrored view on the monitor updated normally as I turned the headset around in my hand.  Obviously, the little screens in the headset are going out. 

Meanwhile, the iPad I'm composing this message on I've had for five years of daily use, and it still works like new! I had an iPod touch that I used daily for six or seven years and it worked fine until the day I switched to an iPhone.  So going through two rifts in three years is not a great track record of longevity.