Painting & Texture resolution — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Painting & Texture resolution

bentoonbentoon Posts: 10
NerveGear
Hello All,
I Love Medium and building in VR : But building characters with any detail is problematic. 
- I am importing base biped meshes (either @ higher or lower res) & converting to clay
- increase the resolution on the layer so I can paint with some degree of detail but
no matter what I do (brush size down to 1, or 2 / res up all the way ) the detail is blocky

I have been using Maya Mudbox previously but dont want to leave VR to texture
I export to fbx with Texture high
Thanks for any suggestions!!
John

Comments

• MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    Try increasing the res of the layer before you convert the mesh to clay. You should be able to get very fine detail from painting at the higher resolutions.
  • bentoonbentoon Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Try increasing the res of the layer before you convert the mesh to clay. You should be able to get very fine detail from painting at the higher resolutions.
    Thank you Matt,
    I thought I was doing this. I increased the res of the model a few times - until it told me it would effect performance.
    Does the res of each layer work independently? Maybe I should start a new layer to paint on?
    Thanks ! I'm looking forward to posting on Fb 
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    bentoon said:
    Thank you Matt,
    I thought I was doing this. I increased the res of the model a few times - until it told me it would effect performance.
    Does the res of each layer work independently? Maybe I should start a new layer to paint on?
    Thanks ! I'm looking forward to posting on Fb 
    Yes, each layer has its own independent resolution and each layer is responsible for holding material and paint settings for the clay in that layer.