New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hide your Rifts, Windows Fall Creators Update is coming

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,633 Valuable Player
    edited October 2017
    My update is still downloading. I feel like it has been stuck at 94% for awhile, which makes me nervous.

There's few things more terrifying that an unmoving critical Windows status indicator. When that status indicator appears motionless, I'm too terrified to touch anything...

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    Update bricked my gaming machine, refuses all attempts to log on. Reset password twice still no go. WTF am I supposed to do now?
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    On the previous CU, I had a machine that looked stuck at 70% for what seemed like 1 or 2 hours, but it eventually finished and I'm glad I didn't get impatient and mess things up.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    3Jane
    Update ... MS support by phone resolved the issue and I'm in again. Apparently the update hung when restarting and prevented logon. Cure was to pull the plug and hold the power button for three minutes. Repower and update completed, now able to logon ok. Yay phone support.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
    Roaster said:
    Update ... MS support by phone resolved the issue and I'm in again. Apparently the update hung when restarting and prevented logon. Cure was to pull the plug and hold the power button for three minutes. Repower and update completed, now able to logon ok. Yay phone support.

I had to step out for a bit but I noticed my PC was still on the reboot screen. I may have encountered the same issue. I will know when I return home.
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    edited October 2017
    Welp, that's it.  No way am I doing this update until the last possible minute.

And thank you to the early adopters to give it a shot.  I'm officially terrified now.

Came back, PC was hung up. Forced a shutdown then rebooted. Now it's doing stuff n' thaangs.
    :#
    Trinity
    Roaster said:
    @Roaster what gaming machine did you pull the plug and hold the power button for 3 minutes on?  My computer wouldn't do anything in response to something like this (at least I don't think so).

What does holding the power button do on a pc?
    3Jane
    Rift works fine still and have no other apparent problems. Version 1709 running.

All is good here as well. Install finished, got the Welcome to the Fall Creators Derp message.

I loaded up The Invisible Hours in the Rift. Flawless VR usage.

Trinity
    OK, thanks for the update.  This is good news.  Still not comfy about this yet but at least it doesn't convert the Rift into a paper weight.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,659 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    My update is still downloading. I feel like it has been stuck at 94% for awhile, which makes me nervous.

There's few things more terrifying that an unmoving critical Windows status indicator. When that status indicator appears motionless, I'm too terrified to touch anything...

Ok Zen what movie is that and whos the uncle fester looking dude.
    WAAAGH!
    It's a Short called, Bedfellows:

3Jane
    edited October 2017
    Roaster said:
    @Roaster what gaming machine did you pull the plug and hold the power button for 3 minutes on?  My computer wouldn't do anything in response to something like this (at least I don't think so).

The specs for my pc are in the sig line below. Home built.
    This power button thing was a new trick for me, done at the request of Microsoft tech support.
    It sounds like a hard reset for a pda or cell phone. Disconnecting the power puts the pc on the cmos battery. Holding the power button down will discharge something making the pc fully reboot. The pc went to a bios report screen first and said something about overclocking failed, I just went to bios setup and did a save and exit, rebooted and it brought up the picture screen for logon.  Entered the newest password (having changed it 3 times trying to get in) and it did a waiting thing for much longer than usual and the tech said it was finishing the update setup, then went to normal desktop with a generic background image.
    Tech had me restart twice again to make sure it was good and here we are.
    Number for support is 1-800-642-7676, very nice people at the call center.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 792
    3Jane
    edited October 2017
    I couldn't test with the Rift yet (it's in RMA), but this update was quite a pain in the ass.
    Mainly because this fricking update reset LOTS of my settings and removed some devices (like my mouse drivers), removed my folder symlinks in Windows, changed system fonts to that ugly default Ogre font, installed NVidia drivers I don't want..and..and..and...so I spent 2 hours or so after that stupid update to change my Windows back like I had it. Oh yeah, and it also reactivated hibernate again (which I ALWAYS have off) and smashed a 20GB hibernate file on my SSD where I never have much space anyway. So I also had to redo my powersettings.REALLY annoying. And at the first attempt it even failed since it found 90% into installation that it needed more space.

Oh, and it also reset Windows search settings for each file-type, so I had to spend 20mins just to go through this for each filetype and reset it to "index file properties only", otherwise the Windows search file always gets huge.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,251
    Wintermute
    Another positive Windows Update here.
    It was slow, but no problems anywhere, my Rift is unharmed.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    This is good news, i have a full reinstall facing me, i have this super annoying microstutter with mouse and audio / video and in genral in the os so i try do all of this update at the same time.

@Zenbane

I love this short, there are some super high quality ones in youtube for sure, great for when Hollywood is going boring on us.
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Trinity
    Roaster said:
    Roaster said:

This power button thing was a new trick for me, done at the request of Microsoft tech support.
    It sounds like a hard reset for a pda or cell phone. Disconnecting the power puts the pc on the cmos battery. Holding the power button down will discharge something making the pc fully reboot. The pc went to a bios report screen first and said something about overclocking failed, I just went to bios setup and did a save and exit, rebooted and it brought up the picture screen for logon.  Entered the newest password (having changed it 3 times trying to get in) and it did a waiting thing for much longer than usual and the tech said it was finishing the update setup, then went to normal desktop with a generic background image.
    @Roaster - thanks for the detailed answer.  I have an older Intel DX79SI motherboard and I wonder if holding the power button would do the same for me.  I've never done this but will keep in mind as something to try.

Thanks again.  Gad to see that you're up and running.
    3Jane
    Roaster said:
    Roaster said:

@Roaster - thanks for the detailed answer.  I have an older Intel DX79SI motherboard and I wonder if holding the power button would do the same for me.  I've never done this but will keep in mind as something to try.

Thanks again.  Gad to see that you're up and running.
    You should call tech support if you have a problem. Seriously, it's something I learned doing professional commercial HVAC work. When you have a problem with a piece of equipment you call support and use it as a major resource in solving the issue and getting the job done. Surprisingly everybody has to be taught to use the resource, and look at it as a tool rather than a pita, and not to look at it as a failure on your part for not knowing what to do already. 
    These guys at the call center (slight accent, iykwim) were eager to help and wait time was only two or three minutes.
    edited October 2017

The Mixed Reality fiasco can be broken down pretty easy (others have stated as much multiple times):
    • Microsoft is calling it "Mixed Reality" because users will be able to not only switch between AR and VR, but also combine them (e.g. bring a picture of your room in to VR).
    • Microsoft has created a Mixed Reality Platform that is native to the Windows OS. This is in contrast to an Application that sits atop an OS, like SteamVR and Oculus Home.
    • The first Gen of HMD's that are calling themselves "Mixed Reality headsets" do not provide the AR/VR combination, they are VR only. However, they are still advertised in this way because they are configured to work exclusively with the Windows Mixed Reality platform.
    • Currently only MS HoloLens can effectively take advantage of the AR aspect of Windows Mixed Reality.

Of course... I'm wondering if any of these Windows Mixed Reality Headsets that are VR-Only can run SteamVR, or run Oculus Home using Revive. I'm also curious if my Rift can be configured to utilize Windows Mixed Reality.

If the answer to any of that is "yes" then Mixed Reality is very much a term that relies on magical fairy dust fiction; and would prove to be the absolute greatest ruse Microsoft has pulled since Windows for Workgroups and Microsoft Vista.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 321
    Trinity
    I work with Windows and its update system professionally and I can say sometimes they can get stuck for a while and then just continue.

Or the update reverts after a bug and sends report to Microsoft, they sometimes then fix the bug so the update finishes correctly on another try.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,160 Valuable Player
    Well until they have headsets that do both I'm calling them VR headsets or AR headsets.

And no, there's no Steam compatibility available when these things launch but it's expected to be in place before the end of the year. So in the meantime anyone buying one of these things is stuck with what's available from the Microsoft Store.

Halo Recruit looks awesome lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

LMAO

Shooting Cardboard Cutouts? Is that what Halo has been reduced to when Bungie split? Dear sweet baby jeebuz.

After a year and a half of VR, it's easy to spot early on when a Software title is going to suck: they spend too much time showing you the avatars hands.

When I'm watching a video of a VR Title and the player keeps looking at their hands, turning them about n' such, I know right away, "dammit, the hands are the best feature, fml."

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,160 Valuable Player
    Yup, I know!

I don't know why they bothered tbh. Haven't looked in the Microsoft Store to see how much it is, I'm HOPING that it's free. If it's a freebie it's still bad but not as much of a disaster if they have the bare-faced cheek to charge money for it.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    The number of items I have bought from the Microsoft Store in my lifetime is literally: 0

The only thing I like about any of this MS Mixed Reality VR/AR debauchery is the fact that the marketing strategy and organizational partnerships are so damn strong... that it forces the following organizations to battle it out for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place in VR: Microsoft vs Samsung vs Sony.

Oculus/Facebook will be sitting pretty in 1st place for quite some time. With Valve trying to pimp out their IP for anyone willing to take the 5th place spot, and poor 'ol Google/HTC will still walk in circles trying to formulate a strategy to sell a phone correctly.
  • PiEzPiEz Posts: 28
    NerveGear
    my rift has black screened since fall update,beware
    3Jane
    I unplugged the Rift hdmi and usb for the procedure. Still works now.
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    Well my laptop, home pc and office pc have all been updated and have no problems with my rift.
    The only tiny issue I had was my laptop reverting its display to 4x3