New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hide your Rifts, Windows Fall Creators Update is coming

Comments

• Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 347
    Trinity
    Well the update messed up my graphics drivers and my hotas drivers. I had to uninstall both and reinstall. What a pain 
  • shiarishiari Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    Mine didn't upgrade correctly. I got some error on restart, restarts after that would continue showing that message rather than boot into the not yet upgraded Windows, until I powered down and back up. Did that whole process a few times ... until it wouldn't boot at all anymore. So I reinstalled using a freshly generated USB key (that has the creators update already) and am now in the process of installing my software again.

It's a little bit annoying to spend a few hours doing all the reinstallation but no data lost and the system had accumulated a fair bit of cruft, so it won't hurt I guess.
  • NijNij Posts: 347
    Trinity
    Oh god nooo

Why the hell did I update, I normally hold off but this update has fu**ed me right up

I cannot even click on my start menu or access anything on my taskbar, so can't even get into settings to try to uninstall the update and cannot even go back to the previous build by holding down shift and restarting

Tried uninstalling my antivirus but I can't even install anything and it's like all my apps have been reset to their default settings and a lot of them I can't even access, I can just about get into command prompt and powershell but I've tried loads of troubleshooting steps and ran sfc scan but nothing is working and their doesnt seem to be any corrupt windows files and the install seemed to complete as normal

Even microsoft support couldn't do much for me as we couldnt install the assist tool so they couldn't connect to my pc and troubleshoot, they just got me to download windows 10 and the repair tool to a usb and run that, but I'm guessing this will pretty much mean I've gotta install all my applications again, which am not too bothered about but this will mean having to reinstall oculus again and then lose all my saved games, then I'm gonna be very pi++ed off

Cannot believe this update could cause you so many issues, it's worse than having a virus

Thanks a lot microsoft, was considering a new pc this may just push me into getting one now
    Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 on pre order
    System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2017
    Sounds like a permission issue on your profile. If you can, check if you have full control on your user profile folder and replace all permissions to underlying files/folders.
    Trinity
    Mace404 said:
    Sounds like a permission issue on your profile. If you can, check if you have full control on your user profile folder and replace all permissions to underlying files/folders.
    Yeah did have a look at this and everything seems normal, i'm set to adminisstrator and have full permissions, very strange, surely I'd still be able to click my taskbar and start menu, I've read that's a common issue after most updates and I've tried loads of resolutions to try and fix it but doesn't work, can't even open settings, even through run command!, tried ms:settings and it says 'you'll need an app to run this'
    Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 on pre order
    System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
    Art3mis
    Can you create a new profile (that's a local admin) and log in with that? Then you can make sure the permissions on everything else are so that your original account has permissions everywhere it needs to.
    Trinity
    Tried that too, I can't get into settings but can get into control panel, try and add a user but nothing happens, tried it through command prompt too, it's like i've been completely locked out of my system, I've given up now, I'm reinstalling Windows, I really should of held off on this update, don't think I'm the only one having issues 
    Art3mis
    Not sure holding off would really have helped, sometimes Windows can just get beyond "repair" (and I guess upgrade installations like these).

But hey, at least if you install anew you'll have a nice fresh configuration again. Mine had definitely got bloated, with lots of software installed that I don't currently use.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,015 Valuable Player
    shiari said:
    Not sure holding off would really have helped, sometimes Windows can just get beyond "repair" (and I guess upgrade installations like these).

But hey, at least if you install anew you'll have a nice fresh configuration again. Mine had definitely got bloated, with lots of software installed that I don't currently use.

Yup, it's VERY easy for Windows installations to get messed up. I usually format my system drive and do a fresh install once a year to avoid headaches. Might do that soon because the version I'm running is well over a year old now.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Trinity
    Yeah your probably right, wouldn't of made much difference, I've just completed an install but chose to keep my apps and files and it hasn't fixed it, pretty much everything I try and run will give an error message n usually say access is denied, so will prob need to run it again but do a clean install

My ssd died a bit ago and as much as I dreaded reinstalling everything it wasn't that bad once I'd done it and you do have a nice fresh configuration, just didn't wanna lose all my Oculus saves, found some software online called Oculus mover that's supposed to back up your saves, dunno if it works tho 
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    shiari said:

Yup, it's VERY easy for Windows installations to get messed up. I usually format my system drive and do a fresh install once a year to avoid headaches. Might do that soon because the version I'm running is well over a year old now.
    Yeah prob a good idea that, tempted to get a new PC now anyway  :D been considering it for a while, good excuse now to do it 
    Trinity
    edited October 2017
    Managed to create a new profile and avoided a clean install, my original profile had been corrupted during the creators update, so a new one did fix it and I've copied everything over from my corrupt profile, just hope all my Oculus games saves are there, quite a few of them seem to be in app data/local 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,231 Volunteer Moderator
    As far as I've seen, your saves should either be in AppData, your Documents folder, or the game's own directory. If you check those locations, you should be able to salvage all your save games. If you can manage it, don't delete the old user profile folder until you're sure you've retrieved everything. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    Oculus home etc works fine for me post update, but SteamVR is gone, and I can't reinstall it! Anyone else had this problem?
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    Wildt said:
    Oculus home etc works fine for me post update, but SteamVR is gone, and I can't reinstall it! Anyone else had this problem?
    I still have it.  Very strange update from MS.  It's not supposed to be a matter of luck as to what happens.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
    Wildt said:

Well that's no great loss tbh lmfao :o:D:D:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,020 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    Had to force it to update but steam has been giving me updates for steamVR when i logged steam. Do you have a backup?

The update is also fine for Oculus this round, but i have to reinstall with other issues still :(
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Trinity
    edited October 2017
    Well all was well after creating my new account and copying everything over from my old user to my new one until I just tried to log into the new account and it instantly signs me back out again, oh lord, just when I was getting somewhere!

My MS account is still linked to my corrupt profile, wondering if this is the issue 
    I figured out what my problem was (one of them anyways :wink: ) - The symbolic link I had made for "steamapps" was apparently invalidated during the update. I removed it and recreated it, and voila! SteamVR reappeared.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    That aint what your problem is...
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    YO
  • jerrysmithsmojerrysmithsmo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    If you’re a PC gamer, then Microsoft is adding a nice addition for tracking GPU performance. Task Manager now has a new GPU option in the performance tab that shows GPU utilization and memory usage. Processes are also now grouped in the main Task Manager interface, making it easier to control them.
    member of getintopc
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,767 Valuable Player
    Well the update messed up my graphics drivers and my hotas drivers. I had to uninstall both and reinstall. What a pain 

Oh I hope it doesn't mess up my Thrustmaster HOTAS. I haven't tested that yet. And I saw that Eve Valkyrie released a Halloween themed Wormhole that I wanna try tonight.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 347
    Trinity
    Zenbane said:

Oh I hope it doesn't mess up my Thrustmaster HOTAS. I haven't tested that yet. And I saw that Eve Valkyrie released a Halloween themed Wormhole that I wanna try tonight.

Nice I noticed I had an update but I haven't had any time to check things out. Yeah I hope things aren't messed up with your drivers. Another thing I have noticed is windows now has a sound profile. You select it above the speaker icon in the tray. My Rift had no sound and sound was playing trough my main speakers. Took a bit to figure that one out 
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    Just say no to Windows 10
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    Zenbane said:

hah! Yes I've been to Thailand as well, but I stuck to snorkeling and eating this stuff:

You should try some shawarma made in the Middle East. Sooo goood.
  • ExigeousExigeous Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Know this is a bit old but curious if anyone is using 1709, the Fall Creators Update with the Rift.  Mine all of a sudden gets the No HDMI Connection error and I've gone to insane lengths to determine it's not the hardware (have 2 Rifts) and that it must be the software.  But I need confirmation it **can** work with 1709 - anyone?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,162 Valuable Player
    There were a few that posted in the below thread that it worked ok for them.
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/58565/fall-creators-update-wiped-out-my-oculus-drivers/p1

The update has not pushed out to me yet, I will certainly be keeping fingers crossed when it does.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,816 Valuable Player
    It pushed itself down for me a few days ago but my Rift seems to be working fine.
    Thank god!
    Though I havent had time to play in my roomscale setup yet.
    WAAAGH!
    I installed mine a while ago and had no problems, but I did unplug my Rift from my PC before I installed the update because (I think!) someone in that thread above suggested it.