New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Please reduce the price of the single sensor

dan108dan108 Posts: 196
Art3mis
One sensor in Italy cost 70 euro, it's too much considering microsoft offer inside out tracking built in for the price of the oculus bundle. and we need 3 sensor for proper roomscale.
please consider making a sale's for europe or a price drop. seriously it's a lot of money.

Comments

• cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 936
    3Jane
    On a related note, I had to buy a replacement Rift and so I got an extra sensor with it, but the cord is too short to place it on the other side of the room. What extension cord is recommended for use with this? 
  • dan108dan108 Posts: 196
    Art3mis
    edited October 2017
    On a related note, I had to buy a replacement Rift and so I got an extra sensor with it, but the cord is too short to place it on the other side of the room. What extension cord is recommended for use with this? 
    this is ok, but at about 30 euro I bought one.... https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01FQ88CHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Art3mis
    edited October 2017
    if someone wants to sell me a used sensor let me know please (shipped in italy).
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,047
    Trinity
    I hate these sensors, they need better ones..
    But yes, I agree.
    Art3mis
    But yes, I agree.
    I hope to still be able to use them also with CV2 even if they will use new models of sensor. because 70 euro of sensor + 30 euro of cable (lol) "this is money" I mean (for me work). If this investement last 10 years is ok but I cant't imagine to see my sensors closed in a drawer in 3 years by now.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,327
    Project 2501
    But yes, I agree.

Why do you hate them mate?

I've no had any issues with my 2 sensor setup?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Art3mis

Why do you hate them mate?

I've no had any issues with my 2 sensor setup?
    try for example "budget cuts" game demo (probably the best vr game demo available at the moment), when you need to pick up knives from the ground.... in that game moment 3 sensors could be very appreciated. me and my friends have had a lot of problems in that moment we have seen awkward situations.
  • RonsonPLRonsonPL Posts: 1,115
    Trinity
    edited October 2017

There are no core gamers from big corpo's perspective and I don't mean FB but all of them.
    You either are a casual or filthy rich ultra-enthusiast ready to shell out 1500$ for a 1080p monitor just because it has two panels together (32:9) and the fact that single panel monitor costs 130$ (so like 70-100 to manufacture) does not matter.

Likewise: Since you cannot be a normal user and third sensor isn't for casuals, you will have to pay a lot for it and it won't change as long as people keep buying 600$ 60Hz "gaming" monitors, 500$ "gaming" motherboards, normal gamepads at 200% of the price cause Nintendo called them "pro" etc.

Third sensor is useless for casuals and pricing of USB cables and other things (then the huge price and just as huge price drop not even a year later) also speaks volumes about how focused on PC VR Facebook is. If you are not a casual, you are filthy rich so enjoy being screwed. 70€ for a sensor? Be happy it's just 200% of the price it should have. And don't be so sure it won't be "fixed" (even higher price) in the future.

So in my opinion you can forget about any price drop. Maybe. Maybe they will graciously allow normal users to buy a bundle with 3 sensors at normal(-ish) price at one point, but that's basically the best you can hope for. I mean, we are talking here about company that sells USB cable for 60€ and a cheap crappy remote for like 500% of what it costs.
    You think it's because they didn't know it's too much and a forum post will change their minds about sensor price?
    It could, but it would take a lot of people complaining. A really big group of people. And whenever anyone dares to speak anything but praises here, fanboys jump out to slap him/her. You know. Cause they love VR and this is how they help it to get better.
    Yeah. I don't understand it either.
    Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore.
    Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash.
    Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.
    Art3mis
    RonsonPL said:

There are no core gamers from big corpo's perspective and I don't mean FB but all of them.
    You either are a casual or filthy rich ultra-enthusiast ready to shell out 1500$ for a 1080p monitor just because it has two panels together (32:9) and the fact that single panel monitor costs 130$ (so like 70-100 to manufacture) does not matter.

Likewise: Since you cannot be a normal user and third sensor isn't for casuals, you will have to pay a lot for it and it won't change as long as people keep buying 600$ 60Hz "gaming" monitors, 500$ "gaming" motherboards, normal gamepads at 200% of the price cause Nintendo called them "pro" etc.

Third sensor is useless for casuals and pricing of USB cables and other things (then the huge price and just as huge price drop not even a year later) also speaks volumes about how focused on PC VR Facebook is. If you are not a casual, you are filthy rich so enjoy being screwed. 70€ for a sensor? Be happy it's just 200% of the price it should have. And don't be so sure it won't be "fixed" (even higher price) in the future.

So in my opinion you can forget about any price drop. Maybe. Maybe they will graciously allow normal users to buy a bundle with 3 sensors at normal(-ish) price at one point, but that's basically the best you can hope for. I mean, we are talking here about company that sells USB cable for 60€ and a cheap crappy remote for like 500% of what it costs.
    You think it's because they didn't know it's too much and a forum post will change their minds about sensor price?
    It could, but it would take a lot of people complaining. A really big group of people. And whenever anyone dares to speak anything but praises here, fanboys jump out to slap him/her. You know. Cause they love VR and this is how they help it to get better.
    Yeah. I don't understand it either.
    I'm not rich (never been) and I have huge problems with work, so buying Oculus as core gamer was a gesture of trust I literally took -all- the money I've been saving in my closet to buy it (I bought the summer's bundle), that's why I ask them to be careful with prices.
    I don't even have the right GPU at the moment because too costly (one year of saving to buy the GPU). I've economic problems and I'm not a casusal gamer, I started with a SNES and I love games. I prefere to pick on an art game instead than a casual game... I'm I the only core gamer here that can't afford 100 euro for a 70euro sensor + a 30 euro 10 meter cable to reach the opposite wall of the room?
    sorry for all those "I", I just hope that some Oculus corporation people can read the truth behind my topic. But as you say it's hard to belive, just cross fingers.

• shiarishiari Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    That 70 euro sensor does come with an extension cable (5 meters), active USB 2.0 extension. You don't need (or want) USB 3 for your third sensor. And longer than that is probably not recommended anyway, not for signal distance and because having your sensors too far apart wouldn't work well. With that you get a total of 7.5M though (sensor itself has 2.5M I believe) so still quite a length.

And if you did want to get a 10M active extension cable, I'm sure you wouldn't need to spend 30 euro for it ... I see them on amazon for under 10 quid (no idea how well they would work, but it's cable length more than anything here).
    Art3mis
    edited October 2017
    shiari said:
    That 70 euro sensor does come with an extension cable (5 meters), active USB 2.0 extension. You don't need (or want) USB 3 for your third sensor. And longer than that is probably not recommended anyway, not for signal distance and because having your sensors too far apart wouldn't work well. With that you get a total of 7.5M though (sensor itself has 2.5M I believe) so still quite a length.

And if you did want to get a 10M active extension cable, I'm sure you wouldn't need to spend 30 euro for it ... I see them on amazon for under 10 quid (no idea how well they would work, but it's cable length more than anything here).
    I got this for my second sensor 10m + 2m if considering the built in cable
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01FQ88CHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    with this cable I reached the opposite wall and it was just the right distance. this means that I couldn't do it with a 5 meters cable (+2m). and my room is medium/little.... the single sensor is supposed to be sold as a third sensor, it'costrly and the cable is not ehough long for it's purpose for a lot of people!

Art3mis
    edited October 2017
    and this is not the only problem because the 2m cables of the 2 sensors are too short if you want to put them on the 2 ceiling corners of the same wall. so when I will install them I will probably need anothe little extension cable. those sensors are made to be on the desk you can "read it" from the lenght of the cable.
    For the next bundle in my opinion they should fix this making a 5 meters built in cable for each sensor plus a 7m extension for a third sensor if included or sold separately  (5m built in + 7m extension).

Oculus may you hire me?

• shiarishiari Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    You're talking to the community, "they should this and they should that" will fall on deaf ears. They're not going to change price or package deals based on what you're asking here, as you'll never know if they've even read it.

I've had no issues with the standard cable lengths, but my PC is sort of in the middle of the two front sensors (which are placed about 2m apart, don't really need much more than that) which I guess may help. The 3rd sensor is really just there to catch any occlusions caused by your own body.
    Art3mis
    edited October 2017
    shiari said:
    You're talking to the community, "they should this and they should that" will fall on deaf ears. They're not going to change price or package deals based on what you're asking here, as you'll never know if they've even read it.

I've had no issues with the standard cable lengths, but my PC is sort of in the middle of the two front sensors (which are placed about 2m apart, don't really need much more than that) which I guess may help. The 3rd sensor is really just there to catch any occlusions caused by your own body.
    can you show me a picture of the wall with the 2 sensors please? I wisht to see how did you placed the cables. doesn't them make a "V" shape over the wall surface because they are too short?

p.s. I know that the voice of a user on the forum not loud but I may try to link the topic to Oculus CEOs using Twitter. Is always "something".
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,327
    Project 2501
    edited October 2017
    Yeah I think the 3rd sensor should definitely be cheaper and also sold in our own individual countries too. IMO it should cost no more then £30.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Art3mis
    edited October 2017
    I tryed to contact Brendan Iribe, Jason Rubin and Nate Mitchell on twitter, lol I hope it helps the cause! :D

:D

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,672 Valuable Player
    Obey!
    WAAAGH!
    Art3mis
    nope! nope! nope! nope! :D