New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is a GTX 970 absolutely REQUIRED for the Oculus to run?

Lucasballer84Lucasballer84 Posts: 2
NerveGear
I am thinking about buying an Oculus Rift for christmas because the Vive is too expensive but I am not sure if a 970 is required for the Rift to run or if it is just strongly recommended. If I buy a Rift can I play games with a 760 (the card I have) or will it not allow me?

Comments

• KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 183
    Art3mis
    you can try the compatibility tool provided in the download section, but im pretty sure a 760 wont cut it, but 970 isnt the minimum anymore, and i think youre better off gtx 1060, which is cheaper than a 970 and also if im not mistaken VR compatible
  • Lucasballer84Lucasballer84 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    alright thanks!
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    If you don't have a specific brand-loyalty to NVIDIA,  you might also consider something like an R9 290X.   I got one of those on eBay for a real bargain, and I haven't been disappointed by it yet.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    GTX 760 won't be nearly enough. A GTX 1050 Ti would be the cheapest card you can get new that will be alright.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Smashed_PumpkinSmashed_Pumpkin Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    A friend of mine just bought a Rift and he's only got a GTX 960. He says everything seems to be running mostly fine but I'm not sure what games he's actually playing. He is planning on upgrading to a GTX 1070 towards Christmas though, so maybe he's just seeing the 960 as "ok for now". 
  • dan108dan108 Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    if possible try to get the 1060 6gb (not 3gb).
  • TadinTadin Posts: 304
    Trinity
    Pretty sure Oculus lowered the min spec to GTX960 back when ASW came out.
  • bizjerbizjer Posts: 118
    Art3mis
    I went from a 970 to a 1080 recently. The jump isn't that big visually just the ASW tends not to kick in as much. You can get a 970 on ebay for about £100.00 at the moment.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 792
    3Jane
    Man get a used 970, I just got another for my wife. This old card still has an awesome price/performance ratio and it can WELL cover for most/many things in VR. Look on classified sites or hardware forums. I think it's absolutely worth it. I wouldn't go with below min spec "just to be able to run VR".
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 792
    3Jane
    bizjer said:
    I went from a 970 to a 1080 recently. The jump isn't that big visually just the ASW tends not to kick in as much. You can get a 970 on ebay for about £100.00 at the moment.
    That's the point! The "average" person won't even see a difference, say, from a 970 to even a GTX1080TI. These are cards where you will want to supersample to get an actual benefit from. Otherwise a 970 will well do.
  • SiilkSiilk Posts: 112
    Art3mis
    Before I built my gaming PC I used rift with my gaming laptop with an 870M card. It wasn't stellar but some mid- and low-end games were running fine; no problems with 3d video at all. However 760 is a really old card so while you may be able to have something running, I wouldn't be counting on that. Unles your PC is too old to support a GTX 970, try checking ebay or you classified ads website of choice for a used one, you can get them really cheap these days.

Alternatively, you might be interested in waiting for the Oculus Santa Cruz to be released as it will be a standalone headset with no PC required to use it. It is considered to be a mid-range headset(i.e. less capable than the rift) but in your circumstances it might be a good option to consider.