New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Overheating Message ONLY when connected to latest Gear VR

mkrebillmkrebill Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hi. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea what I am up against. I purchased a Gear VR with the Bluetooth remote 8 months ago at Best Buy. Since then I have been impressed and use it on the weekends when I am alone cause it can be highly disorientating and distracting from outside events.

So today I got fed up with the message that keeps popping up on my phone when it is inserted into the Gear VR, It says my phone is overheating and needs to be cooled down or something to that effect. I dont like it...especially when I have an S6  and the latest Gear VR which cost  over $100. I am fed up at this point.

I am on the phone with Samsung technical support and was just transferred to a supervisor. Dianne the supervisor was great. She said that I should call back if the phone is showing that message before 30 minutes have elapsed. If I see the message before that then I can call back with the case number to receive a replacement.

So has anyone experienced this before? I find it very upsetting that i spent over $100 on a Gear VR and that i am getting these overheat messages on my Galaxy S6. Please help! Me and others would appreciate it. 

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Posts: 163
    Art3mis
    A very common problem with the s6, unfortunately.

This solution costs about 7 USD and will 100% eliminate the overheating issue:

http://m.imgur.com/a/qSyBg
  • lucifronlucifron Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I have exactly the same problem on samsung s7. I can't play at all, nor watch a video. I can give it max 10-15 minutes before it overheats.

This is how I solved it: I made huge iceblocks (anywhere from 0.8 - 3cm thick and as wide/long as the phone) and i use shoelaces to tie it around in a cross shape, wrapped in plastic with a node at top end that is attached to the top headset thingie that goes over your head. I made a few iceblocks, i then cover them in plastic, then a layer of paper, then plastic again. I can now play with the charger on, and as long as i want. I made different weights, i can use heavy big iceblocks if i'm playing strategy games, while if im playing something like anshar wars i use smaller iceblocks and i dont plug charger.
  • lucifronlucifron Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I have exactly the same problem on samsung s7. I can't play at all, nor watch a video. I can give it max 10-15 minutes before it overheats.

This is how I solved it: I made huge iceblocks (anywhere from 0.8 - 3cm thick and as wide/long as the phone) and i use shoelaces to tie it around in a cross shape, wrapped in plastic with a node at top end that is attached to the top headset thingie that goes over your head. I made a few iceblocks, i then cover them in plastic, then a layer of paper, then plastic again. I can now play with the charger on, and as long as i want. I made different weights, i can use heavy big iceblocks if i'm playing strategy games, while if im playing something like anshar wars i use smaller iceblocks and i dont plug charger.
  • ron.labberon.labbe Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Maybe you don't want to spend $40, but the cooling fan I bought works great, AND wirelessly charges!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gear-VR-Cooling-Fan-CUVR-Ultimate-SM-R325-SM-R324-SM-R323-SM-R322/122367885580