New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Fall creators update wiped out my Oculus drivers

superdave132superdave132 Posts: 6
NerveGear
edited October 23 in General
I just installed the Microsoft fall creators update to windows 10 and it broke my Oculus. Now all I see when I put the headset on is black screen.

looks like they killed the driver because my device manager doesn't recognize the hardware anymore, but it still sees the sensors.

Comments

• RoasterRoaster Posts: 844
    3Jane
    Just a curious question ... did you unplug the Rift before updating?
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,330 Valuable Player
    It is unlikely that the Fall Creators update has broken your "Oculus" as you call it.  It might have biffed the software.
  • xJustJohnxxJustJohnx Posts: 51
    Brain Burst
    Try tinkering with your USB placements on your board and ensure that you turn off the USB Power Management options in your device manager.  These settings got turned back on during the update if you had previously disabled them.  Also, double check your motherboard or USB expansions' firmware for updates.
  • superdave132superdave132 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited October 23
    Roaster said:
    No was that necessary, and will a reinstall of the Oculus software fix it?  
    NerveGear
    edited October 23
    Try tinkering with your USB placements on your board and ensure that you turn off the USB Power Management options in your device manager.  These settings got turned back on during the update if you had previously disabled them.  Also, double check your motherboard or USB expansions' firmware for updates.
    I can't tinker with my usb placements as I have a Asus ROG G20CB with almost sealed case with would make It 
    extremely difficult if not impossible. Thanks for the help though.
    NerveGear
    edited October 23
    The Update erased/overwrote my drivers for the Oculus as shown in the attached picture. it was working 5 min before I started the update. Ill probably have to reinstall the entire Oculus software for it to reinstall the drivers.
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Superdave132

Run C:\Program Files\Oculus\OculusSetup.exe. Select the repair option and follow the instructions. It will prob download the oculus software again but should repair your install.

3Jane
    Roaster said:
    No was that necessary, and will a reinstall of the Oculus software fix it?  
    That's what I'm trying to find out.  It's a prophylactic measure. 
    Yes an Oculus reinstall should fix it, but who knows what happened to your registry. I hate worrying about dangling entries causing errors, and if a program is borked, it may not uninstall properly.
    You know how you can't delete a file if it's in use?  Maybe the same thing happens if the Rift is trying to be initialized while the update is moving things around. Total guesswork though.
    I disconnected the hmd just in case.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 765 Poster of the Week
    Hi @superdave132

a lot of people had issues with the Creators update unfortunately (myself included).

This may not be helpful, but:

• my Device manager looks likes yours does - if you check the HardwareID of the "unknown device" and it shows ViGEmBus you can ignore that issue (not sure what it is, but a few people have reported it including me it and it doesn't break anything - I assume it's either related to something that's coming, or it's something that's miss reporting)..
    • to my knowledge the Rift headset doesn't actually show up as anything in Device manager (not sure if it did before Creator's update or not but it doesn't now).
    • I have had the headset be black for me, but I unplug both the HDMI and USB cables and then reseat them and it resolved it for me. when it's black is the light on the sensor inside the headset on? does it change colour if you place your hand close to the lenses inside?
    • one of the things you can check is open OH, go into Devices and see what's showing. if you open it up does your headset show as connected? if so, what happens when you unplug the USB but not the HDMI? what about the other way around (HDMI but not USB)?
    • a lot of driver issues are resolved by using the Repair option inside Programs and Features (in case you were going to uninstall and reinstall).
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    NerveGear
    Reinstalled the Oculus software completely, same outcome, after fresh install, no driver, software can't see the headset.  Headset completely dead with black screen. Something tells me Microsoft pulled the driver because its beta and not WHQL certified to make the update more compatible and removed all the uncertified drivers (just a theory).  There starting to crack down on non WHQL drivers to prevent problems during the updates. 
    no idea what driver you're using then.. maybe look at updating your motherboard drivers to versions post creator release
    3Jane
    Reinstalled the Oculus software completely, same outcome, after fresh install, no driver, software can't see the headset.  Headset completely dead with black screen. Something tells me Microsoft pulled the driver because its beta and not WHQL certified to make the update more compatible and removed all the uncertified drivers (just a theory).  There starting to crack down on non WHQL drivers to prevent problems during the updates. 
    I'm running W10-1709 and the Rift is working fine. No idea what your problem is but it's not the generic Windows environment. Whatever made the Rift work before is still working. They haven't derailed the drivers or whatever else makes it happen.
    Of course I wasn't plugged in at the time, so who knows. Have to check all other users who did have the unit plugged in for the update, and see if all of them are dead. I doubt it.

• dburnedburne Posts: 785
    3Jane
    Roaster said:
    I'm running W10-1709 and the Rift is working fine. No idea what your problem is but it's not the generic Windows environment. Whatever made the Rift work before is still working. They haven't derailed the drivers or whatever else makes it happen.
    Of course I wasn't plugged in at the time, so who knows. Have to check all other users who did have the unit plugged in for the update, and see if all of them are dead. I doubt it.

That would be interesting to hear, if anyone that left their Rift and sensors plugged in during the update did not have any issue. The update has not made it to me yet and now getting somewhat concerned for when it does.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,667 Volunteer Moderator
    kzintzi said:
    • to my knowledge the Rift headset doesn't actually show up as anything in Device manager (not sure if it did before Creator's update or not but it doesn't now).
    Yep, the sensors will be listed, and rift audio. But not the cv1 itself.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 298
    Nexus 6
    Roaster said:
     Have to check all other users who did have the unit plugged in for the update, and see if all of them are dead. I doubt it.

My update went without problem. Everything was left plugged in.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • dburnedburne Posts: 785
    3Jane
    Richooal said:
    Roaster said:
     Have to check all other users who did have the unit plugged in for the update, and see if all of them are dead. I doubt it.

My update went without problem. Everything was left plugged in.

Good to hear, thanks for the feedback.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same for me, I updated this morning and took the risk to leave everything plugged : my update went fine and my Rift works as expected :)
  • augywrcaugywrc Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Mine updated fine with everything plugged in 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    If you experience issue with the Windows Update, can you please submit a ticket so we can investigate?
    https://support.oculus.com/
    You can also upload your logs in this thread and I can take a look. See how to do that here:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • TN_TimTN_Tim Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Mine will not work either... same issues as superdave123, kzintzi, & kojack.
    Everything was left plugged in for update. Have not tried it until this evening after work since the update. Exact same symptoms the others.
    please note, mine is working fine. I had issues with the ASMedia USB drivers (known issue with ASMedia) with the creators update, and I've had a coupe of generic issues with it not displaying anything, but these have been solved by either a reboot or unplug and replug of the headset.
    NerveGear
    edited October 25
    I tinkered with my Rift again last evening after work for a bit. I re-installed Oculus software, unplugged everything, re-connected everything after re-boot, and nothing still. It has me bummed that I can't even use this pricey piece of equipment right now. I really like the Rift and VR games. You guys need to get this fixed. I am about ready to roll back my Windows 10 to the earlier version so I can use it again.
    I guess this evening I can try is to update video card drivers, check motherboard firmware, USB firmware & software and try again. I don't really want to do a clean install of Windows and completely have to re-install ALL my software as I have Gb's worth of Steam games installed and our internet here not that great.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    For me everything works fine, I always leave everything plugged in.
    Have you tried plugging it in another USB? Just unplug a sensor and plug the headset in. If it was on USB3 try USB2 and vice versa (this might trigger the "looking for drivers").
    I'd recommend submitting a ticket and posting your logs here for help (see post above). Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    cyberreality. Here are my log files. Thanks for your interest in this issue.
  • GodrichmanGodrichman Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I have a similar issue since the creators update; now the sensors are not detected 

I cant even run oculus home. Home just doesnt load or i get the "can't reach oculus runtime service
    Your Oculus sofrware may be updating. Please wait a minute and try again. If the issue continues, contact Oculus Support."

If I try to repair oculus home I get an error message telling me to restart my computer.

NerveGear
    Well I have tried several different things in addition to what people have listed on here and I have decided to just "roll-back" my Windows 10 build 1709, back to build 1703... at least until this issue is resolved, either by updates from Microsoft, or Oculus. Thanks to all for the suggestions, ideas, and support. I really love my Rift an have been missing using it.  Awesome product guys!
    To Oculus:  Y'all really need to make your software where "less technically skilled" people can play games without having to resort to "extra programs" ( VorpX, etc. ) to run "non-Oculus" games on their Rifts. I believe this would greatly help the advancement of VR industry through more sales of hardware. The reduced price of $399.00 has caught many peoples attention, but the lack of the ability to play some of their existing games in VR  without having to "hack" them, causes many to decide not to invest in one. I know this from some of my own friends who will not buy a Rift for this reason.
  • shiarishiari Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    I couldn't update my Windows installation (it got broken beyond repair after trying to do the upgrade manually several times and getting an error, yet persisting) but then installed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update new (without reformatting, so my files were still there, just had to move them around and fix permissions and reinstall things) and the Rift works fine on my fresh installation. So the software itself works fine on the update, not sure why breaks it for some.

@TN_Tim: The second half of your post has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand. But you're expecting Oculus to offer 3rd party support for games they didn't make (the customer's expectation for that would absolutely be there) and which would offer a subpar VR experience even if they did?
    NerveGear
    Well I did "roll-back" option on my Windows 10 and now have my Rift back. I am running Windows 10 Home Creators version 1703. I will wait for while now before I upgrade to version 1709 perhaps some of the issues will be resolved before I attempt it again. Thanks to everyone for their input.
    shiari - I am sorry for the way that I guess I worded that. I wouldn't expect, or believe that Oculus could support 3rd party games. I just wish there was an easier way to.. ? "map" ? .... (not sure that is the correct way to put that)... some of my existing Steam games to the Oculus library to possibly play them. There are a lot of people out there that lack the skill, or time, to work out the various ways available to play some older games in VR, such as one of my favorites Sniper Elite 4. 
    Thanks again for your input.