cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Pimax 8K MEGA Thread - First Reviews Now live

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I've been on the fence about this and have some reservations about build quality and performance under heavy load, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives and I guess many others feel the same way. Now I never backed the Rift during its Kickstarter campaign (unfortunately) but I assume the feeling is similar where you're helping to forge the future of VR in some way, or at least like to think so. I consider myself an enthusiast and not the majority, therefore what's another £600 to experience the latest  in VR. Sadly, having Samsung not release the Odyssey here in the UK left me with an itchy wallet finger, a void that needed filling and with GO not releasing until next year either I thought the Pimax 8K will scratch the itch and might just prove to be pretty good too. I'm excited for it.

There is always going to be skepticism and no doubt a number of people will suggest I am backing a paperweight but, that's ok it's fully understandable to have those feelings and that prediction is always a possibility. But... if someone doesn't take the risk and we all play it safe, how can VR move forwards - I guess we've already taken risks with past VR investments in some way or another including with the Rift. I've never claimed any loyalty to anyone having owned The Gear VR (still have that knocking around somewhere) DK2, Vive, Rift, PSVR and come next year Pimax will be added to the list. However, I am interested like many of you agreed in the poll we did here a while back that certain things were important to improve on what we have now and it seems the Pimax 8K is offering some of those things on paper. 

I think once you can look past the silly marketing name (8K) and the hammerhead shark design and focus on what's inside, this HMD offers something many claimed they would like in the past but are not prepared to trust Pimax to deliver. I think a number of people would rather wait for a more established company (like Oculus) to offer a similar experience further down the line. All very understandable. But I am impatient, and whilst I use my Rift quite often I want more of what VR can offer sooner rather than later. 

So, (and the main reason for this post) is come Feb 2018 some point in 2018 I will gladly post impressions and comparisons without hyperbole and answer questions any of you might have. That said, I expect many others at the time will post their impressions also so there should be plenty of opinions going around from various sources.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
1,860 REPLIES 1,860

Anonymous
Not applicable
Will be interested to see what you think about it. I don't think you've taken too much of a risk because they delivered on their first Kickstarter with their first generation headset.

I'm going to wait and see what Oculus come up with in 2019/2020 before I get my second generation headset I think, and I might even wait a year after it's released to take advantage of any inevitable price cuts.

kojack
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Will be interested to see what you think about it. I don't think you've taken too much of a risk because they delivered on their first Kickstarter with their first generation headset.

The Pimax 4K wasn't crowd funded.
I've already lost over $1000au on companies that already had existing products launched but then failed to deliver on their kickstarter.

Oddly enough, one company I really didn't trust was Noitom with their Perception Neuron mocap suit, but it was the only mocap suit kickstarter that actually ended up delivering (and my work bought one, while I'm still waiting for my 3+ years overdue PrioVR), so maybe I just suck at judging kickstarters.

The Pimax 8K X is no longer available for backing, they are only making 250 of them (for the kickstarter) and all slots are sold out.

I await your review. 🙂
(I have a partial interest in getting one, but I don't trust $1284au on a kickstarter like this, I want to see it released first)

(If Pimax make a C++ sdk and give me an 8K X early, I know how to support wide fov 3d properly in code. Hint hint.)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I look forward to seeing the specs of the machine than can run games in the 8K X at acceptable frame rates.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Good luck!
WAAAGH!

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I did back the Auravisor (my first and only Kickstarter until now) and whilst it delivered when promised, the actual device was a stinking pile of poo.  Creators are always going to have a massive positive outlook on their products, however, there are a number of non affiliates  speaking highly (of course with some reservations) which is allaying some fears one might have. I don't think there were any trustworthy sources of the Auravisor performance before it launched or during the campaign so I've learnt to take the hype with a grain of salt.  For anyone on the fence. I shall with honor report back if there are any issues especially with delivery, build quality and if there is any technical/hardware problem how well their customer service handles it.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

kojack
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

I look forward to seeing the specs of the machine than can run games in the 8K X at acceptable frame rates.

Running the CV1 at pixel density of 2.0 is already higher pixel count than the Pimax 8K X. 🙂

Pimax 8K X - 3840x2160x2 = 16.5MP.
CV1 at 2.0 - 2664x3172x2 = 16.9MP.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Well good luck, it's good to have competition and innovation else there is no reason for other companies to develop better product and at a faster pace

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well good luck, it's good to have competition and innovation else there is no reason for other companies to develop better product and at a faster pace

Yup, I had been convinced for quite some time that both HTC and Oculus would go for 2 x 2K screens for their second generation headsets but we MIGHT be looking at 2 x 4K instead now. It all depends on the foveated rendering situation when they launch in 2019/2020 though.

Oculus are also doing some interesting work on their depth of field stuff too which should give a decent increase in presence.

Siilk
Adventurer
From my experience with kickstarter, it's usually pointless to back an already overfunded project. Logic is simple: project already has more than enough money to be completed so at this point you are effectively pre-ordering a product which is technically not guaranteed to be delivered. I apply that to any project I think of backing so unless there's a very appealing stretch goal which seems to be within reach, I just wait for the release, check reviews and then make the buy/ignore decision. I have nothing particular against pimax BTW, I simply think there's no logical reason to back any project in a situation of >100% funding(1000% funding in pimax's case).

With that said, I hope pimax guys will succeed and you'll get a good headset out of this. We need more VR hardware out there to drive the competition and push RnD forward. Looking forward to reading your hands-on review. 😉