New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Star Citizen, things are turning ugly!

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 2,819
Wintermute
P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,467 Poster of the Week
    Worst thing about SC is them walking away from vr. Writing was on the wall when they did every design no no in the book for a good vr experience.
    I am confident SC will launch .... Eventually ..... And I even think it will be good, but there is definitely parallels between Chris Roberts and co and Peter moleneux when it comes to selling dreams 
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • A.ForceA.Force Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Worst thing about SC is them walking away from vr.
    Is it fully confirmed that SC will be without VR compatibility?
    At launch yes. It's not off the roadmap but it's not a priority. They are aiming for 30fps min frame rate which by their own admission is not good for vr and half of the features in the game is just not good for vr. Them saying "we can look at it after launch shows their lack of interest in vr. Vr needs to go in early and design features consider it if it's gonna work
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • lovethislovethis Posts: 3,255 Poster of the Week
    edited November 12
    I'm sick to the back teeth of this game. I jumped on when it was been crowd funded and I'll be 6 ft under by the time it's finished no doubt.
  • sdplayersdplayer Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    Sometimes I wonder if CIG are deliberately delaying release of Star Citizen until we've reached the Volta era of graphic card performance! Perhaps Chris Roberts got more ambitious early in development and couldn't bring himself to release a game that would run flawlessly on a GTX 980. I hope SC does end up supporting VR but, as someone mentioned earlier, they should have been working on that right now (hopefully they are, just being secretive about it).

I think the game will definitely be released within a year or two but I'm amazed how youtubers like Bored Gamer are still patiently posting regular updates (maybe donations quell frustration) considering the game has gone well beyond its 2014 release date!. 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 2,819
    Wintermute
    edited November 12
    SC seems to have a final window of opportunity - the critical mass of departing early supporters and media prepared to keep them on their pedestal. So many other crowd funded releases had been vilified by this point.

Sadly, I do not expect the current development team to put the effort into a VR version - this is a job for a dedicated team that comes on after the dust settles from the final launch in 2019 (perfect timing for WinMR and Santa Cruse).

Having sat in at the fateful GDC panel session that launched both OVR and SC - I remember how much SC depended on promising a VR version at launch, and how both executives 'bro-mance' built the fervour for support from the community. Just a shame how both parties images have been tarnished since that period  :/  
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 2,369 Valuable Player
    If you think that Star Citizen is going to launch in 2019 I have the ownership deeds to London Bridge if you want to buy them..?

They were supposed to launch Squadron 42 last year too.

Them spending thousands of dollars on a sci-fi door for their studio should have rung alarm bells for EVERYBODY lmfao :D

They've spent all that money on beer, drugs and whores, and will continue to spend any further funds they get on beer, drugs and whores.The one thing that REALLY isn't wise to do is give a load of programmers an endless supply of cash lol :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    Star Citizen won't even be released by 2020 , 3.0 was due for release early summer than September, now they are hoping for a release to ptu before the holidays. Chris Roberts is now doing to SC what he did to freelancer. Creative he is but without guidance and deadlines he will just keep having things reworked 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,659 Volunteer Moderator
    Then there's the solo developer of Starwraith 3D Games, he's put out around 13 space simulators over the last 17 years. His Evochron series has newtonian physics, trading, combat, planet landing, walking around on planets in battle mechs, ship customisation (even moving parts around in 3D), etc.

Wintermute
    snowdog said:
    If you think that Star Citizen is going to launch in 2019 I have the ownership deeds to London Bridge if you want to buy them..?
    They've spent all that money on beer, drugs and whores, and will continue to spend any further funds they get on beer, drugs and whores.The one thing that REALLY isn't wise to do is give a load of programmers an endless supply of cash lol :o

Look, I drink at London Bridge, I do not want to buy it!  :p

If you look at my post, I said "... after the dust settles from the final launch in 2019..." As you can see I left the door open - I have no expectation of a commercial launch, but I "do not have a dog in this race" anymore. As soon as Elite Dangerous agreed to allow their game to be used in VR Arcade's we had a better, released, and more solid property to use in cockpit sims than waiting on "hype-ware".

I know its fun to joke about squandering the money, but it is a criminal act you are suggesting. I remember the long lamented Control VR debacle that so many in the VR community tried to forget in a hurry. A lot of red faces (and bums) from that train-wreck - and don't get me started on Sixsence!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    kojack said:
    Then there's the solo developer of Starwraith 3D Games, he's put out around 13 space simulators over the last 17 years. His Evochron series has newtonian physics, trading, combat, planet landing, walking around on planets in battle mechs, ship customisation (even moving parts around in 3D), etc.

Hey have you played this ,I'm just curios as the reviews are so mixed it's hard to tell if it's any good 
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 276 Poster of the Week
    sdplayer said:
    Sometimes I wonder if CIG are deliberately delaying release of Star Citizen until we've reached the Volta era of graphic card performance! Perhaps Chris Roberts got more ambitious early in development and couldn't bring himself to release a game that would run flawlessly on a GTX 980. I hope SC does end up supporting VR but, as someone mentioned earlier, they should have been working on that right now (hopefully they are, just being secretive about it).

I think the game will definitely be released within a year or two but I'm amazed how youtubers like Bored Gamer are still patiently posting regular updates (maybe donations quell frustration) considering the game has gone well beyond its 2014 release date!. 

LOL, no. He's delaying it because they are too busy blowing the money instead of actually developing the game. Chris Roberts learned long ago that he can make far more money by making promises rather than actual products. He has a very long history of this sort of thing, the only reason it didn't blow up in his face in the past is because there was always a publisher or larger studio that intervened and forced a release over Robert's objections. There isn't anyone in that position with SC though.

As for graphics, they look fairly typical to me. I'd expect an RX 580 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB to run it just fine based on the level of fidelity shown.
    kevinw729 said:

and don't get me started on Sixsence!
    I got my Sixense tshirt, I'm sure the Stem is on it's way soon! :)

(Now if PrioVR start making more than one suit per month I might finally get that too, they did start shipping last year but very slowly)
    Wintermute
     :D 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • sdplayersdplayer Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    edited November 13
    BeastyBaiter said:

'Chris Roberts learned long ago that he can make far more money by making promises rather than actual products'

The above sentence implies deliberate fraud! I'm not that familiar with Chris Roberts history (I know of Wing Commander, Privateer etc but have never played them) but if what you said is true then he must have made enough 'promises' money by now to just pack up his bags and retire to conman heaven. Why roll out another risky con? And with such a history why would so many people have backed Star Citizen!

'...the only reason it didn't blow up in his face in the past is because there was always a publisher or larger studio that intervened and forced a release over Robert's objections.'

Ahh...so there was a 'release'. That's a bit more than just a promise! Perhaps Roberts had objections because he knew the publishers not only wanted to release a product that fell short of his original dream but might also disappoint and frustrate the customer (fortunately for Ubisoft the Assassins Creed franchise could never be used as an example of this). This is not an attack against publishers as 'creatives' can be flaky and over-demanding and the business side of the industry has to draw a line on a products release. But as we know all too well these days not only can this be to the games detriment it can also incite greater public anger! Its the eternal struggle between art, time, and profit.

I don't think Chris Roberts is a conman. I think he cares about his reputation and genuinely wants to make the ground breaking game he will be remembered for. Its understandable tension is running high given the games seeming endless development but I'm confident SC will see a commercial release within the next two years.

Otherwise by then even the biggest Chris Roberts fan boys will be hunting his blood!
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 276 Poster of the Week
    I don't think he's a conman, it's more that he's a marketing guy with zero talent for time or financial management. He knows how to pitch a product and does generally know how to make them, the problem is there has to be an adult in the room holding the purse strings in order for anything to actually get done.
    I don't think he's a conman, it's more that he's a marketing guy with zero talent for time or financial management. He knows how to pitch a product and does generally know how to make them, the problem is there has to be an adult in the room holding the purse strings in order for anything to actually get done.
    Sounds like Peter Molyneux. :)

Freelancer (Chris' last space game) kind of went through similar stuff. It was supposed to be finished in 2000. Then it was delayed until 2001. Then it finally came out in 2003, with dropped or reduced features. Part way through development the company was sold to Microsoft and Chris left the company. 5 years later MS shut down the master multiplayer server.

Of course Elite Dangerous took longer to make, David started work a LONG time ago.

One of my students had spent over $1200 on Star Citizen, and that was maybe 2 years ago. Who knows what he's bought since.

The next VR space game to look out for will be X4. While X Rebirth sucked, the X2 and X3 series were great. They have embraced VR too.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 352
    Trinity
    I'm really looking forward to Star Citizen, I really hope it turns out to be amazing, I have faith! I've been playing and enjoying the alpha upto this point. It's going to be such an amazing universe. I hope we get to play it in VR.

There's so many people out there that say it's a con and it's never going to be released, but I personally don't believe that. I believe in Chis Roberts and his company, I believe he's passionate about making an amazing game. And I even believe this game will be so good that people will be play it for decades!! :)
    Wintermute
    kojack said:
    Sounds like Peter Molyneux. :)

Its unfair to call him PeterM - that individual openly lied on three occasions to gain not just money from naive individuals, but also in order to help inflate the standing of his company(s).

PeterM was also involved in a number of deceptions that could be called criminal, where the SC project seems well intentioned but badly lead.

For me, the new news about to be revealed on the update to ED with its expansion pack could see SC placed in a death spiral as fans abandon it for a product they have now!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited November 14
    kevinw729 said:

For me, the new news about to be revealed on the update to ED with its expansion pack could see SC placed in a death spiral as fans abandon it for a product they have now!
    @kevinw729 Dude..... you are talking to a complete ED fanboy here..... you cant drop that bomb shell and leave me hanging!. Please tell me more.
    All i know so far is what is coming in "beyond" which is essentially just marketing spiel for "Oh crap! horizons is going on too long so we need to rebrand it with a "free" series of updates!".  (and it is improvements to existing mechanics not new stuff, ie colourful planets, mining improvements , increase criminality, some shiny new ships (and FDs take on guild ships (the latter they can keep imo!) )

At the expo a few weeks back nothing was said about the next actual expansion, and it was only after being hounded on the forums that FD admitted an expansion WAS planned for the back end of next year.

IF with your contacts you know what that  expansion is... please, dish the gossip ;)
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 352
    Trinity
    Me too, im excited for ED updates too!!! :)
    Wintermute
    IF with your contacts you know what that  expansion is... please, dish the gossip ;)

Was not my intention to leave you hanging, or to tease any new stuff. I like you read the forum chatter and was excited about the new (old) alien encounters planned and the possibilities of new classes of ship.

We have had on gong conversations with the developers - my history with Elite goes back to my first review of the game on my BBC B - and visits to Acornsoft. We have discussed with EB a motion simulator version of the game, but never found the right opportunity, until recently... but we will have to leave that there!  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,452 Poster of the Week
    kevinw729 said:

We have had on gong conversations with the developers - my history with Elite goes back to my first review of the game on my BBC B - and visits to Acornsoft. We have discussed with EB a motion simulator version of the game, but never found the right opportunity, until recently... but we will have to leave that there!  B)
    An elite ride would be pretty amazing. ED has some really special moments such as entering leaving stations, planetary and combat to name just a few.

I could see everyone involved in this being pretty happy with the outcome
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.