New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift CV1 --Orange Light No Display-- Known Good Rift

GRUsturmovikGRUsturmovik Posts: 6
NerveGear
edited November 2017 in Support
I test drove my Rift on a different computer running Win 10 with a GTX 970, but now that I've got to mine (Win 10, AMD R9 360), the display does not work. I had this issue on the first computer, and solved it by simply updating the GPU drivers. However, that did not fix it this time. I have tried connecting Rift to DP, as well as swapping out with the HDMI in my monitor. I am using a 3.0 Hub for my sensors, and my Headset is connected to a lone 3.0 port. I have run setups both with and without extensions previously without issue, and have tried both now without success. Any help is appreciated! 

Here is a list of things I've done:
--Update GPU Drivers
--Update USB Drivers
--Swap around USB Ports
--Swap around DP/HDMI Ports
--Check Connectors
--Reinstall Oculus Software
--Restart Computer (more times that I can count)

Comments

• GRUsturmovikGRUsturmovik Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited November 2017
    Additional Insights: I can hear audio from Home as well as launched games. If I put my finger on the sensor I can move the camera around like it should if the display was on. When I do this, the orange light goes out, but no white light comes on, it is just blank. Also, in the Rift Software page, all the devices are connected properly, in both DP and HDMI setups. I have a suspicion that it is a software problem, not a hardware one, as I am literally using all the same cables that I used before.
  • PuutisPuutis Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited December 2017
    that means you need a better graphics card/video card.  BUY BETTER COMPUTER!
  • Cracker_Cracker_ Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    i have the same problem
  • AsiulasiulAsiulasiul Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Me too-with an NVIDIA 1080-can anybody help?
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 207
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2017
    Have you tried re-seating the cable that plugs in to the headset (the one at the top of the headset)? It can come disconnected...happened to me quite some time ago. Just a thought.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, Adata SX6000NP M.2 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, Toshiba 3TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1803
  • Jumoney100Jumoney100 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Got the same problem
  • RauttisRauttis Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited January 2018
    Same issue here with a 1080. Sometimes it works, sometimes this happens. Sometimes after multiple reboots and multiple attempts of re-plugging all the rift cables it starts working again, but then in an hour or two the issue is back. The oculus software reports everything is ok, but the led is orange and there is no picture. Audio still comes through.

This is using the hdmi port on the 1080. I've seen some posts that suggest displayport -> hdmi adapter might fix it. I will test that next week and see what happens.
  • QQQ_QQQQQQ_QQQ Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    The same here :(
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    Have you tried restarting the Oculus service?
    Settings -> Beta -> restart oculus.

• RavengerRavenger Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2018
    I had this happen when I plugged in an X52 Pro Hotas. The rift display would go black, though you could still hear audio, and the Oculus App would claim that the HDMI was disconnected.
    I think it was some form of USB bandwidth or driver issue. I could get it to work mostly by swapping which devices were plugged into the USB sockets, as most of mine were in use, but I couldn't get it to work consistently. It even happened when I installed an add-in USB 3.0 card.

I've since installed Windows 10 (was on 7 before), and not seen the issue since.
  • MyswisslogMyswisslog Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem. Anyone found solution to fix this? please.....save me.........
  • sdplayersdplayer Posts: 128
    Art3mis
    I have the same problem but as someone else mentioned go to settings - beta - restart Oculus. Works every time for me.
  • SlinSlin Posts: 49 Oculus Start Member
    edited May 2018
    Today I switched out my Rift cable after I kept getting blackouts mid game. After switching the cable (and also with the old cable) the screen stayed black. I got it to work again twice in combination with graphics driver reinstalls (I tried 188.59 or whatever that one from before the NVIDIA issues is supposed to be, the latest as well as the one from end of march) also tried core 2.0, no core 2.0, beta channel and normal. Repairing and reinstalling oculus home including cleaning all folders in app data. Turned off windows fast start. I also tried a new second rift without success. I feel like I did everything except reinstall windows, which is something I'd very much prefer not to do...
    Any ideas would be very much appreciated. (restarting oculus services does nothing)
  • gameroom1684gameroom1684 Posts: 0
    NerveGear
    Have you tried re-seating the cable that plugs in to the headset (the one at the top of the headset)? It can come disconnected...happened to me quite some time ago. Just a thought.
    But what do you mean by, "Reseat?"
  • gameroom1684gameroom1684 Posts: 0
    NerveGear
    But what do you mean by, "Reseat?"
  • ShaydeBShaydeB Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have tried everything and cannot get the any display or sound.. 
  • ShaydeBShaydeB Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am very disappointed at the amount of money I have spent to get the right computer and for the oculus and have not been able to get it to work since purchase. Everything is a green light but the orange light in the headset will not go out and there is no display or sound.  
  • Ekel77Ekel77 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Digite seu comentário
  • Ekel77Ekel77 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Good morning everyone, I'm having the same problem, my rift worked normally and from one day to another stopped appearing the image, orange light appears normally.
    My computer is an i5 7500 and the video card is a 1060 of 6GB and conforms to what it needs to run.
  • makedo47makedo47 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Same here. This is my 2nd unit. My  first one was dead, no lights, no display, not recognized at all. By the amount of people with the same problem, it is very clear that oculus is not using proper USB and HDMI specifications.

USB exists for an reason. That only reason is that I can use a device which is manufactured by company A and connect it to an device of any company. 

If your device is not compatible with an USB/HDMI Port, your device is faulty. It is as simple as that.

Of course I can change my motherboard, my graphic card or buy an USB 3.0 Hub and HDMI->DP Adapters, but I also could just return this and buy a device which works.

Why don't oculus normal USB and HDMI connections? Is it that hard?
  • Harti4everHarti4ever Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited February 9
    I had problems with the cable (connection errors) so I ordered a new one ($59) and it worked fine till yesterday: Today - yellow light, but sound, no display, oculus software says: everything fine. Using old cable did not help, Oculus Setup says: Device Error, Steam says: Device Error. Nothing helped (reinstalling OS, newest GForce Driver,...)
    I think it is "just broken"
  • NaveGCTNaveGCT Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    try using the oculus tray tool, and i had to unplug my monitor and keyboard, then attach the HDMI then restart the computer.
  • SuperTettSuperTett Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My friend sold me is as new Oculus Rift he bought  2 months ago. I ran it on my PNY 970 and, everything was detected, but not display was on the headset. We tried it back on his 1080ti, and it worked, so we now knew the headset wasn't defect. After more research and tests, the only solution was for me to buy a new GPU. For some reason, my PNY 970 never displayed anytime in the headset. I have a Zotac 1060 now and everything works like a charm. So if you have a PNY 970, you might consider changing GPU.