New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Noooo! My DK2's red and blue channels have rotated through a right angle on the last Oculus update!

Frog_JacuzziFrog_Jacuzzi Posts: 7
NerveGear
Since today's Oculus update, the correctly oriented image is green, while a strangely-moving, rotated, magenta copy shows up for the right eye only. In other words, the red and blue channels appear to have flipped orientation.

I have just confirmed that it is a rotation, not a simple switch of coordinates; the magenta image is actually not mirrored.

This is true in Oculus Home and the apps it launches. It is also true in gz3doom, and in Doom 3 BFG VR; menus and gameplay all show the problem.

Comments

• 1point21jiggawattz1point21jiggawattz Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    edited November 12
    I assume you have an AMD GPU?
    Hey, I have a signature. 
  • Frog_JacuzziFrog_Jacuzzi Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I forgot to say that I'm using Windows 10 and an almost-up-to-spec PC whose CPU and GPU are both by AMD. (I can't see an 'edit' link, on my post.)
  • 1point21jiggawattz1point21jiggawattz Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    edited November 12
    It's a known issue, and Oculus is currently working to resolve it.

Edit: To edit a post, you need to hit the gear icon and choose edit.
    Hey, I have a signature. 
    NerveGear
    Yes, DK2, and a bit of a 'budget' system, with AMD throughout
    NerveGear
    I wonder what the timescale is for a fix?

I realise the 'only AMD' part or possibly the 'only DK2' part makes things harder; it would be an easy enough thing to fix, if it happened for everyone -- even without working out the cause.

Is there a temporary workaround like a single-level downgrade that could be done in the meantime?

Cheers...

P.S. All I can see online are ways to downgrade all the way to the original -- along with a warning that knowingly using an out-of-date version of the software is actually against the terms and conditions.

I'll gladly muck around with firewall rules, if it's necessary to play Doom. But I don't know how to do a single-level downgrade that uses the most recent version that worked without The Magenta Weirdness. (I just checked and I don't have a suitable restore point.) 

I should have named this issue The Magenta Weirdness, to sound more like a Jon Pertwee era Doctor Who episode.

P.P.S. I also wonder how long it will be feasible to keep supporting older systems, even with the best of intentions? I hear that Oculus want to keep supporting the early adopters that helped get things started, but it strikes me that there has to be a practical limit.
  • paulmisaacpaulmisaac Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Reverting to 0.8.0 is what Oculus actually tell you to do when fault finding under normal conditions - just to verify if the issue is hardware or software
    NerveGear
    Interesting. Presumably the terms and conditions clause that I mentioned was apocryphal then.

Well, I dual boot Windows 7 and 10, and older versions are actually installed under Windows 7, along with a runtime switcher. And yes, the pre-Home runtimes all still work. So does the downgraded and firewall-blocked version of Oculus Home that I've just installed instead, on Windows 7, since Doom 3 looks very blurry on the old runtimes.

But will this workaround have to do until the next major update? Or is a special release likely, for a small fix?
  • ftenafftenaf Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same issue here, after update right eye has only magenta and rotated 90 degrees, left eye is green. Downgrade to 0.8.0.0 is working. Do you know how can I have previous runtime running? I can't downgrade it since there is no offline installer neither I have a copy of the cache downloaded from a previous version. Does anyone can upload it to mega or something ? 
  • paulmisaacpaulmisaac Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    You can't - end of story.  Even if you manage to revert back to 1.19, it'll update on it's own.  Really poor show by Oculus.