New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Leaving my rift out: Sleep Mode vs Burn In

SemicidalSemicidal Posts: 297
Hiro Protagonist
Hello.
I just got the fredde desk from Ikea. It has some headphone holders that work well for the rift. I can put a glasses cloth over the lenses to prevent dust from getting onto them. The position of my desk, the monitor in front of the Rift, and the cloth SHOULD block sunlight. NOW, I am worried about that little light sensor and screen burn in.

If I don't put the cloth on JUST right, it wakes the rift up as if I have put it on. I heard that the Rift has sleep mode. Can anyone confirm how long it takes to occur, what triggers sleep and what wakes it up? Can I manually put the Rift to sleep? 

Getting to the rear of my PC to hook up the Rift after digging it out of it's hiding spot is an inconvenience I would like to be done with. Any help on this would be very appreciated. I want to be able to just grab my Rift from behind my monitor and use it, without worrying about sun damage and without worrying about screen burn in.

Thanks!

Comments

• SemicidalSemicidal Posts: 297
    Hiro Protagonist
    I did ask support but the only answer they had was that there is no manual way to prompt sleep mode. They did not provide any information (yet) on when sleep mode turns on automatically, or what wakes the Rift up.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    Sleep mode happens when the proximity sensor inside the device detects no one is wearing it. However, if you are wearing it, or you have it on a mannequin head, it won't go to sleep.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thank you Cyber.  
    Does this mean that there's no real easy safe way to keep the Rift hooked up while avoiding screen burn as well as Sun Damage?

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 352
    Trinity
    I just leave mine on my desk, plugged in, no issues.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 680
    Neo
    Semicidal said:
    Thank you Cyber.  
    Does this mean that there's no real easy safe way to keep the Rift hooked up while avoiding screen burn as well as Sun Damage?

Tons of other possibilities, you need to be creative ;) Oculus Team has planned a lot of things, but it does not really sadden me if they have forgotten the case of a person who wants to hang the helmet upside down on an Ikea hook and in a sunny environment using a cloth on lenses (and obviously on the proximity sensor doing its job) to prevent dust ;)

You can cut one of those sleeping mask they give in hostel at the good size to feet lenses without touching the proximity sensors, or obviously hook the rift head up (2 hooks left right I guess). In any case I will never let the Rift on a direct sun light even if lenses are protected by a glasses cloth. Heat can kill it anyway (IMO).

Oh, by the way, good to be back :)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    Semicidal said:
    Thank you Cyber.  

The easy solution is to just leave it sitting on a desk (away from windows to avoid sun damage). If you want, I believe a cloth bag would work too, like the ones for large sized headphones. There are more unique solutions as well, such as using hooks mounted on a wall, etc., but I've never tried this. You just want to avoid scenarios where the proximity sensor is triggered, such as using a mannequin head. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • SneakyglowormSneakygloworm Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I do exactly the same as you. Best way I found was to get "oculus Tray Tool". You can start and stop the oculus process manually. So, if I replace the cloth after a session, I shut down the process which effectively turns the rift off. You can start and stop it easily. Excellent tool if I'm honest and has all the
  • Julius-XJulius-X Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Sleep mode happens when the proximity sensor inside the device detects no one is wearing it. However, if you are wearing it, or you have it on a mannequin head, it won't go to sleep.
    I just wanted to chime in and mention if your mannequin head is transparent (i.e., glass), then it will still sleep.  Only opaque objects trip the proximity sensor that keeps the Rift from sleeping. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks GlowWorm! 
    I played with it a bit, the proximity sensor looks like it emits a light and tries to detect that light. If it detects NO light, it thinks it is being worn. A bag like Cyber mentions works, but also just turning off the Oculus dashboard seems to shut her down unless you start playing with the sensor / shaking the Rift.
    Gonna check out this tray tool. Thanks all!