New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Damn this shoddy hardware!

falken76falken76 Posts: 1,654 Poster of the Week
My first rift had the HDMI cable problem where it would constantly disconnect.  I RMA'd that one and got a replacement that appeared to be perfect.  I hardly use this thing.  I started using it with a little more frequency to play Az Sunshine with my brother now the left earphone is cutting out constantly.  It goes from immersive blaring surround sound to instantly disorienting confusion once that left earphone cuts out and I feel dizzy.  I figured I'd just switch the sound to the PC speakers like steam defaults to but it has no effect when I change the setting on windows while Oculus is running.  How do I switched the sound from these earphones with this poor design that keeps these threads alive in reference to dead ear phones?  My Warranty is done.  I am certainly not going to buy another rift if this thing becomes unusable, I'll just be done with VR until something else comes out.  Considering the rift has sensors on the back side, do any of the connections to those sensors go through the same ribbon that provides sound to the earphones?  If so, how long until I can expect to experience tracking problems?

@cybereality I assume I'm screwed because my warranty is up.  This thing should have a 5 year warranty, most people use 1/3 rd of their time waiting on support with 1 lousy year on a product that will in all likelyhood need to be RMA'd.

Comments

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 352
    Trinity
    What country are you in because I'm sure in many countries like the UK with have extra Legal laws that protect us from this?

Even after the warranty year is over they still have to fix it I'm sure.

And if all else fails you can usually claim for things like this on house insurance? 
  • w_benjaminw_benjamin Posts: 84
    Hiro Protagonist
    The HMD is designed to allow you to use your own headphones/speakers if you want.

The ear pieces can be removed from the HMD, and the audio can be shared with another audio output.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 1,654 Poster of the Week
    What country are you in because I'm sure in many countries like the UK with have extra Legal laws that protect us from this?

Even after the warranty year is over they still have to fix it I'm sure.

And if all else fails you can usually claim for things like this on house insurance? 
    I'm in the USA, I don't believe we have a similar law here.
    The HMD is designed to allow you to use your own headphones/speakers if you want.

The ear pieces can be removed from the HMD, and the audio can be shared with another audio output.

How do we change the audio source?  When it's loaded via OH the audio is switched to the rift headphones.  If I go into my windows settings and physically change it to the speakers, it doesn't change anything.  It must be possible some way because when a game loads through steam, it defaults to the system speakers not the rift headphones.  If I were to use my own headphones I would need to go through the same process to change where the audio is sent from the computer.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    Hey, @falken76. In terms of using your own headphones, you can adjust that in the Oculus settings. Go to Settings -> Devices -> Rift -> Audio Output in VR -> Windows default. This will use your normal PC speakers or headphones.

However, I would recommend submitting a support ticket ASAP. We may be able to assist you, so I would suggest contacting us now to discuss your options. Thanks.
    https://tickets.oculus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Thank you @cybereality Unless you are working directly with this ticket, I fully expect it to be instantly denied once they run the serial number and see it is no longer in warranty.  If support is set up anything like the back offices I've worked in before, this ticket is an easy one that will be denied instantly and improve the reps stats.  Please tell me that's not what is going to happen to me. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    I sent you a private message. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV