cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know if motion tracking will be available for Oculus GO?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I am planning on getting the Oculus GO next year, and my son wants to know if motion tracking is available for the headset. He wants to play games like, 'The Lab' or 'Job Simulator'. I think that the go would just use the 'Santa Cruz' Motion Controllers...but anyway, we just can't afford the Rift or Vive, along with the computer needed for it, so if you have any info on that topic it would be great for us to know.
4 REPLIES 4

Roaster
Rising Star
See the info page https://www.oculus.com/go/
Those game you mention are pc specific so no, they won't play on the Go.
The Go controller is pretty basic but has more than one button. and Santa Cruz controllers are right out.
I'm trying to get some official word on Go capability also.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

deftware
Expert Protege
The Go is essentially a self-contained Gear VR with a decent mobile processor, and will be compatible with Gear VR apps only. If he can be happy with that I'd suggest getting it. Otherwise, I'd say hold onto your cash and put it towards the Santa Cruz.

kojack
MVP
MVP
On it's own, the Go is only 3DOF. This means it knows which direction you are facing, but it can't track motion (like moving your head around). It's single controller is the same, it doesn't track your hand moving around, just the angle you hold it (like my LG tv remote control does).

Also as mentioned above, it can't run Steam games like The Lab or Job Simulator. Or Oculus Rift games (Robo Recall, etc). It's an android based headset running GearVR mobile games. These can still be cool, but it's not the same as a full tracked PC VR system.

(It may be possible to turn it into a 6DOF dual controller system when the third party AntiLatency comes out, but no idea when that will be released or what software support will be like)

I think that the go would just use the 'Santa Cruz' Motion Controllers

The Santa Cruz controllers use optical tracking, the Santa Cruz has 4 cameras on the headset that look for infrared lights mounted all over the controllers. The Go has no cameras, so it's not possible to use the Santa Cruz controllers with it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack said:

(It may be possible to turn it into a 6DOF dual controller system when the third party AntiLatency comes out, but no idea when that will be released or what software support will be like)

Oh, hello!

Thanks for the steer!    B)
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3