cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem fixed - SteamVR games Judder / Stutter using Rift

blanes
Rising Star
I have had a huge game stopping issue for the past week since updating to the Win10 Creator update. I was getting terrible judder where the frames were skipping and also jumping or moving quickly up & down and side to side constantly. Only way to play a VR game was by turning  all graphic settings very low which looked like blurry mess.

I only found out later that it was Steam VR games affected not Oculus games. I had bought Battlezone on Steam sale and was focused mainly on that. After trying various different  Nvidia drivers without improvement I discovered it was due to a setting in SteamVR. I had never changed these settings  but I saw that the supersampling  was set to 5.0 rather than 1.0 via a slider under settings.

I can only guess that it changed due to some software glitch or consequence of the Creator update because I never changed it and the problems only began after the update. I am now back on latest Nvidia driver 388.31 and can run without any of the stutter, judder or frame jumping. Battlezone now runs smoothly on Ultra setting with in game supersampling at 1.20 in game. Hope this helps someone else as it was frustrating trying to disvover the cause but huge relief to find simple quick fix.  I also have asynchronous reprojection turned off as I think that is Vive specific and not needed or used by the Rift. 
13 REPLIES 13

YoLolo69
Trustee
Sorry for the noob question but does SteamVR is really required when launching a VR title through Steam? I have some VR games on Steam (E.g. Aerofly FS2, Eleven Tennis, Asseto Corsa, etc.) and never used Steam VR, and all work fine and I don't have to deal with its settings. That's sound to me like an extra useless layer between me and the game, eating CPU/GPU times. Did I missed something here?
In any case thanks for posting this. If I have to deal one day with SteamVR I will remember your fixes 🙂

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

beyondinfinity
Expert Protege
Not all games on Steam that list Oculus Rift support have Oculus SDK support. Check out this list to see which games has Oculus SDK support on Steam: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/steamgameswithnativesupport

blanes
Rising Star
Yeah it seems to be a few do not need steamVR. My Project Cars 2 is Steam but boots directly via OVR and is not affected.

Battlezone is an awesome game BTW but one that I think 50% off is most reasonable price. I bought all the dlc half price as well (15 skins + interior designs, 6 bobbleheads and a horn pack)  so spent $37 Aussie all up which was a decent deal I thought..

YoLolo69
Trustee

Not all games on Steam that list Oculus Rift support have Oculus SDK support. Check out this list to see which games has Oculus SDK support on Steam: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/steamgameswithnativesupport

Thanks a bunch for explanation and this useful link explaining crystal clear. I now understand SteamVR and why it could be needed in some cases... My Steam games don't need it and that's fine for me 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

HiThere_
Superstar

blanes said:

I saw that the supersampling  was set to 5.0 rather than 1.0 via a slider under settings.
Wow, you must have been getting seconds per frame instead of frames per second with that insane level of supersampling ?

I think it can be set around ~1.2 for a GTX 970 and around ~1.8 for a GTX 1080 TI, on the less demanding VR titles.

blanes
Rising Star
Yeah it was crazily jerking all over and had me stumped for awhile. The Creators update did few other worse things to my system including bricking my Fanatec V3 pedals and my USB adaptor formy Clubsport shifter. Have to send them away to be reflashed.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Where exactly is this super sampling setting in Steam?

blanes
Rising Star
Click on the steamVR icon within sream at top right. Select settings and then Developer and you will see a slider that goes upto max 5.0

Anonymous
Not applicable
 Go to this link at the bottom to bring you to this magical forum post.  Look at the comment from aisepos! His suggestion actually fixed everything. Oculus has never suggested this but now they will. This man is a genius and he actually figured out why I was having my problems... all 6 months of them.  I can’t guarantee it’s a cure all but I hope this helps you too and give him a shout if you see him. He is a God!!!! 

Thanks to everyone in their suggestions if they are reading this. I really appreciate all the help and working together to figure out these things for the community.

See you in the Rift!

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/58073/poor-tracking-quality-audio-glitches-lagging-...