USB Hubs — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

USB Hubs

TristtTristt Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited November 2017 in General
So, this is probably in the wrong category, maybe Support? Oh well. 

Long story short, I have my custom dekstop with more than enough USB 3.0 ports to cover everything. Now, with my ASUS-ROG laptop (1070 GTX/16 GB RAM), I have only three 3.0 USB ports, and one HDMI slot. I commute back and forth between my own, and a family member's place, and definitely want to drag around my newly Black Friday sale-bought Oculus setup so they can experience it. What I am curious and hoping for, is some sort of USB/USB-C Hub that can successfully carry sensors into the system, in theory? I hear about some working, and this would make things MUCH easier Instead of having so a plethora of cables sprouting from all angles of the laptop.

In Theory:
All 3.0 USB Hub Here

Or, even better, one that could handle the HDMI output? (This one is farfetched, and I know the risk of possibly frying anything that is connected to something like this. Would be insane and extremely useful, for basically the whole setup if it did. )
Two 3.0 USB, One 2.0 USB, HDMI Output to USB-C

I've also ordered extension cables in the event that I'd ever need them. I love the VR experience so far, and cutting out the nuances would be extremely nice.  :)

Comments

• Meat_ManMeat_Man Posts: 117
    Art3mis
    Some people like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006TTA75Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  Assuming that you only have two sensors as of now, your investment might be better spent on extension cables rather than a hub.  Right now, I just have all the cables coming from all parts of my PC, but they are zip tied together.  It doesn't look as nice as a USB hub, but I think it is just as effective, unless you want a third sensor.   
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    I hope some cracks this and and recomends a decent usb 3.1 to 3.0 hub.
    I want to minimize the wires going from my sim pit/gaming station to my sensors.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,875 Valuable Player
    edited November 2017
    I'm yet to find any external hub that works with my Rift. Only the internal usb card works for me. I have my Rift on extension cables because I prefer room scale. If that's anything to do with it I'm not sure.
  • ashlylallenashlylallen Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Laptops these days don't have enough ports, although the power source for the hub is a great feature. When hooking up multiple devices to a computer that may not have enough power output, it is necessary to have a supplemental power source.