cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Flight Demo, Fly through an endless asteroid field

Hlao
Explorer
This project has sort of grown organically as I have been trying and learning new things. while I will probably continue to work on it, I think it's at a point where I am happy to share it now.

I'm just calling it Space Flight VR because I didn't really know what else to call it, up till now I've just been calling it space sim.

default controls for gamepad are

pitch/roll: left stick
yaw: right stick
throttle up/down: trigger buttons
boost: r button (you will go faster but there isn't any indication other than the speed display)
reset Oculus rift forward direction: y

Default Controls for Keyboard are

pitch: s/w
roll: a/d
yaw: q/e

Throttle up: r
Throttle down:f

Boost: Left Shift

Reset Oculus Rift forward direction: space

note: If the gamepad throttle isn't working, I recommend mapping the keyboard throttle controls to some buttons buttons on your gamepad. Controls can be remapped in the Input tab on the launcher.

your space ship will attempt to correct for sideways drift, you can see how it's applying forces by looking at the display on the right.

right now top speed is limited using a drag like mechanic applied only in the forward direction, while this isn't ideal other methods may alter the way the ship flies in subtle ways and I haven't decided what I want to do yet.

A couple of little issues: the space dust is a little weird, implementing it properly is made a little trickier due to the floating origin system I'm using I put this in to see what it might look like.

there is still an issue with the shader on the asteroids which makes the colours look a little dull. I had never written a shader until i made this so bear with me please.

the asteroids are from the asset store
skybox is thanks to Space Engine http://en.spaceengine.org/

Couple of minor Updates

Improved loading times
Added keyboard support

You can download this demo here

https://mega.co.nz/#!qdtWATRR!skMomCf4g7dTfRfgDQF7eMY4K1S8q5ijl2t2A31zWUI

Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

drash
Heroic Explorer
Hello Hlao! 😄

I think you're doing yourself an injustice by calling it "another space flight demo" in the thread title. Sure, there's a bunch of space flight sims around in various shapes and sizes, but each one is very different in their own way, and there's another one called "Yet Another Space Shooter". I almost thought this was the same one!

Your demo is VERY nicely done for a first pass. I'm sure everyone's tired of my feedback on almost every demo, so I'll let others chime in. 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Hlao
Explorer
You're probably right, I've changed the title a little.

Thanks for the feedback.

v0id
Explorer
well you weren't kidding about the endless, tried finding my docking ship after messing around for a while. Yea not going to happen haha.

Looking forward to the updates.
Alienware X51 | Nvidia GTX 600 | i7 3770@3.4 | 16gb ram | DK1 | DK2

zwickarr
Honored Guest
not bad, had fun chasing the other ship. please add esc button to exit game :D. would be nice to have a key or button to reset the level as well.

thanks for putting it in its own folder before zipping it!

drash
Heroic Explorer
Hlao, I especially love the way you implemented the ship's yaw rotation. It slightly tilts as it yaws. Really really nice touch.

Did you make the cockpit and launch tube yourself?

"zwickarr" wrote:

Wow, I've barely seen any demo do that. Didn't realize it was a problem for some people. 😕
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Hlao
Explorer
"zwickarr" wrote:
not bad, had fun chasing the other ship. please add esc button to exit game :D. would be nice to have a key or button to reset the level as well.

I'll make sure I add that stuff next time. especially the esc button, I just keep forgetting that I need to put it in and have become too use to just hitting alt+f4.

"drash" wrote:
Did you make the cockpit and launch tube yourself?

creating content for the Rift has been one of my biggest motivations to learn to do 3d modeling, the ship/cockpit is the most complex thing I've ever tried to make so far.
the launch tube is just made of stuff I had created much earlier while learning, I just sort of threw it together to make a tunnel.

rupy
Honored Guest
I'm also making YASS, but mine will be MMO!

Your game launched, then the window froze, then it unfroze and there was the trial thing and sound but otherwise black screen...
"It's like Homeworld in first person." Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS. Keep the config utility open for tracking to work.

Hlao
Explorer
"rupy" wrote:
I'm also making YASS, but mine will be MMO!

Your game launched, then the window froze, then it unfroze and there was the trial thing and sound but otherwise black screen...

The game takes a little while to load, and when it does the screen will fade in from black, during this time you can see the trial message and hear sound. The fade in should only take a couple of seconds.

What kind of specs does the machine you are running it on have?

DillonRobinson
Honored Guest
Good work! I really liked the feel of the flying - how you can gain speed in one direction, and still sort-of maintain that direction while turning around. Felt more proper than the demos that use a regular flying model.

The cockpit is one of the better I've seen in terms of scaling and actual detail. It would be even better with visible legs and maybe a tiny bit more detail in the glass window/cover. I look forward to whatever you make from this!
-- -- --