Multiple Threads on the Same Subject — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Multiple Threads on the Same Subject

DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player
edited November 2017 in General

I have respectful request for my fellow forum users.

Before creating a thread, can you please do a quick search to see if a thread on that subject already exists before you create a new one?

The jitters problem is a prime example. I understand if you want to emphasise your problem and you think a new thread is a way to highlight the issue.... but it's really not helpful in finding a solution. Many people have tried solutions, found they work, posted about the solution... and it just gets lost because there are so many threads to look though.

And even if that solution doesn't work, it's much easier to discount it and establish the correct solution when it's contained in the same thread. At the very least, it's so much easier to track down a common cause... or more likely the combination of causes when you can follow a single thread which everyone can contribute to.

Edit. here's an example of how a post can be edited to show useful information provided by additional contributors :)

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player

lol I did indeed... but in 2 different section, I figured some people with the jitters will default to the support section without necessarily looking at all the discussions... but at the same time my post relates to all subjects so the general section also seemed a good idea!

but yes, it looks like I'm a hypocrite now!!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • shiarishiari Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    Most threads here will be created by people new to the forum; from experience on several forums it's pretty obvious that most first posters don't spend time reading forums before posting to them. Your post would get lost for that reason alone, the other that it would drop off the front page at some point, and then there's the problem that many people just don't care, they just want their question answered and want it answered now.

Your plea won't solve anything, except you did manage to create an additional two threads on this forum that people have to wade through, potentially having to filter it out in a search result ... so yeah ... :smile:
  • UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 347
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2017
    Well...  all the perfect Rift owners don’t want the forums cluttered up with issues of others. They’d rather actually enjoy their Rifts and pretend all is sunshine and rainbows and I understand that.  The thing is the more people see these things the better.  Some of us have been dealing with this for very very long time. 

Thanks for your input shiari, can't work out whether you're agreeing with me or not.

But at least it's bumped the post to the top so won't get lost just yet. Happy wading.

@UBSERD, if you'd read my post, it explains why having a single thread on any given problem helps to solve that problem because it's the best way to find what the common issues are or what has been tried and doesn't work, it's not about who has a perfect Rift or not.

Just trying to be helpful, sorry if that isn't clear.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,862 Valuable Player
    edited November 2017

I'm a huge fan of Megathreads. It not only helps reduce clutter, but also serves as a great repository for information (e.g. one thread for Rift Extension cables).

+1

UBSERD said:
    Well...  all the perfect Rift owners don’t want the forums cluttered up with issues of others. They’d rather actually enjoy their Rifts and pretend all is sunshine and rainbows and I understand that.  The thing is the more people see these things the better.  Some of us have been dealing with this for very very long time. 

That's silly. People can complain in a 20 Page thread and that doesn't look like "sunshine and rainbows," it just looks intelligent. 

shiari said:
    Your plea won't solve anything, except you did manage to create an additional two threads on this forum that people have to wade through, potentially having to filter it out in a search result ... so yeah ... :smile:

The Something Awful forums have been enforcing Duplicate Thread Rules for years successfully. It's not that hard.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,405
    Project 2501
    The responses the people find most helpful should bubble to the top. And the responses to those responses should be threaded. No one has time to read through pages and pages of a thread to find useful information. 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,862 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    No one has time to read through pages and pages of a thread to find useful information. 

As opposed to reading through pages spread across 20 different threads? 

In a Megathread, the OP is the one who updates the Main Post with the most useful information. The idea is that people just have to read the first post, but can then read and participate in the thread for the sake of contribution, debate, or fun.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

I've updated the main post on this thread with useful information.

now it looks like I'm being facetious

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,234 Volunteer Moderator
    Unfortunately mods don't have the ability to split or merge threads, all we can do is edit individual posts, delete posts / threads or move threads to different boards. So managing mega threads is trickier than it could be.
    I miss phpbb, it has merge/split.

Nexus 6
    edited November 2017
    No Daftnclear I totally get it, and I know I’m a pain man. But the voices go unheard too often and nothing is done to help those that have these problems. We try every suggestion in these posts constantly. I know I make my voice heard a lot but we get no updates to the goings on that will address these issues or even to acknowledge they  exist you know. Squeaky wheels brother. It’s very easy for people to forget if they have no issue whatsoever. But these problems are at the forefront and my only hope that’s something is being done about the jittering and loading chugs that happen in almost everything after October weather that be Oculus or Windows. Trust me I’d rather be making fun and joyful posts but me and quite a few others can’t without a Rift working like it would’ve in the past. Silky smooth VR is what I had. Those good times with the Rift are too far and in between for me so in my case I’m glad people are being vocal in several posts. The future Rift community to come deserves better from this company and we are trying to make a difference for everyone.
    edited November 2017

I totally get your frustration @UBSERD, I just hope you don't think that my suggestion was in any way trying to dismiss the problem.. it was the opposite.

Yes I don't have any jitters and in a way that's useful for everyone to know, even those with jitters because it helps trace the problem. I have the latest creators update installed and the latest NVidia drivers but I never install NVidia experience (as I posted in one of the threads) or third party driver tuning apps. The thing is I didn't bother posting in all the threads and that's my point. Anyone with a suggestion is likely to do the same.... post in one thread or maybe 2 but not all.

It's also useful to have your hardware as a signature so we can start seeing if there's a correlation between people who have a problem... or any commonality between those who don't... it all helps! At the very least this thread has given an opportunity to highlight the jitters problem again! so I guess we all win.

We could start working through the problem in this thread, that would be ironic.

Nexus 6
    edited November 2017
    Very true my friend and I appreciate you responding and now understand your stance better.  My apologies if I misinterpreted. I just don’t want us to be tossed to the wayside this time like so many other times in the past with these issues hindering an otherwise fantastic experience.

I think putting my specs in the signature is a great idea and I will tonight once I’m home from the grind
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2017
    I swear I’m not a troll. Just looking for what I’m owed. This isn’t a cheap venture to be as buggy as it is. I feel like I breath then the issues return lolz. It should work as advertised without caveats. Thanks again!

trolls only ever exist on Reddit, that's true

Nexus 6
    Right lol
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited November 2017
    kojack said:
    Unfortunately mods don't have the ability to split or merge threads, all we can do is edit individual posts, delete posts / threads or move threads to different boards. So managing mega threads is trickier than it could be.
    I miss phpbb, it has merge/split.

Mods actually do have merge/split capabilities. It's just a little more confusing with Vanilla compared to phpbb. You can merge two threads by clicking the white check box on the left side next to the thread title in the discussion view. Then look on the far lower left area the browser, there is a little panel that opens that lets you merge 2 threads. For splits, go inside the topic and on the top right of each post (you can select multiple posts in one go) and then look at the little icon that appears on the far lower left of the browser. This will let you split the comments into a new discussion. Then you can go back to the discussion view and merge the two threads. It's a little complex compared to phpbb, but we do have the feature if we really need to use it.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,234 Volunteer Moderator
    Interesting. I didn't think they'd be somewhere other than the gear icon that has all the other thread tools. :)

edited November 2017
    This would make one hell of a merge! probably a bit of a sledgehammer option now there are so many threads.
    I understand the need people have to make themselves heard which they get when starting a new thread but hopefully the benefits of a single focused thread are understood. I'll say no more!

...too many San Miguels last night, starting to get the jitters.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,456 Valuable Player

but yes, it looks like I'm a hypocrite now!!

Oh, you're so much more than that.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • shiarishiari Posts: 191
    Art3mis

Thanks for your input shiari, can't work out whether you're agreeing with me or not.

But at least it's bumped the post to the top so won't get lost just yet. Happy wading.

I agree that it might be nice if all the various distinct issues that people might have end up in a single thread related to that particular issue.

I disagree in the possibility of ever getting there on a forum that historically hasn't enforced it already. It requires discipline from both old and new posters (challenge for either group, but for different reasons), requires threads to mostly stay on topic (haha, sure), focused on a single issue (rarely happens), and it requires additional effort from moderators.

I'm also not convinced that having threads with several hundred pages are necessarily beneficial, because the only way you could ever get anything useful out of those is if you were following it all along from the start, or you manage to find the bit of info you need through a search engine. And search engines don't care that it's in a large thread, as they assess individual pages for what's on these pages.

Well this isn't about different distinct issues... it's about the same issue unless I'm missing something! or unless it's been determined that the cause is down to separate distinct issues... I thought the point of these threads is to find that out!

Like has already been mentioned... the OP takes the useful parts of the thread and edits the first post to include those bits. It's so much easier than picking the useful parts out of 10 threads and arguable that's a responsibility that comes with starting a thread.

Leaving it to the mods is ok but I'm a firm believer in doing the right thing regardless of what other people do or don't do. Well obviously I'm not going to change everyone's mind... take it or leave it :)

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited November 2017
    I'm personally not a big fan to merging threads, simply because it can kill the continuity of a discussion. Each thread (or at least each meaningful thread) can have it's own flavor, and merging many different threads together just because they share the same subject may not help. It could cut down on topics in the list, but it could make finding the relevant information even more difficult, as now you have a thread that is several times as long.

Splitting threads is usually used for moving out off-topic talk or trolling to not pollute the main thread. However, most of the discussions on this forum end up off-topic at some point, so splitting threads might be extreme and just more management than it's worth. 

I think the real issue is that new users don't search for their problem (either here on the forum, or on Google) and end up asking the same few questions over and over when the answers are all there and no thread was needed.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV