cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Increasing stuttering, unplayable after ~20 minutes. Unplug/replug HMD USB fixes

Robbo_Cop
Honored Guest
Hi there,

Got my rift over the weekend and super happy with it for the most part.

I am having a quite annoying issue at the moment though. As I described in the title, when I start up Oculus home/steam VR everything is smooth and runs great. As I play though I get increasing stuttering and frame drops. It eventually gets to a point where it can barely render a screen. I opened the tray tool to check performance in one of its bad moments, just to see what was failing and its struggling to get 5 fps, fair periods with 0 fps and then might jump to say 20 at best. While this is going on performance headroom jumps around irradically between say 50-60% and -184% (yikes)!

While this is all going on CPU/GPU temps are still quite low (fans aren't even getting serious) We're talking say 65-70 degrees C. 

The weird thing to me is that in order to fix it all I need to do is unplug and replug the USB on the visor and it all clears up again (for say 20 minutes). Less demanding games seem to extend this playtime slightly (Rec room takes around 30 minutes Vs Robo Recall about twice per mission). So I can't imagine its a hardware issue (Temps are good, instant fix with power cycle)

I had a good read through all the other tech complaints and I have to admit I haven't done a fresh install of the Oculus software yet (was hoping for a second opinion first). I have the tray tool and disabled funky power settings to USB. I played with the windows power settings (balanced Vs Performance) but this had no effect. The other thing I have done is ordered a PCI-E USB 3 expansion card as one of my sensors is claiming USB 2.0 when plugged into a 3.0 port.

Anyone have a similar experience? (If I have posted the world's most common complaint I'm sorry I did search)

Setup is:
Rift CV1
3 sensors
Windows 10 Home
i5 6600k
GTX970 windforce OC (4gig from memory)
16gig RAM
3 REPLIES 3

Lithe
Explorer
Try disabling both USB Legacy Support and XMP Profiles (Should be a memory option) in the BIOS and see if that fixes it. Otherwise look online for the USB 3.0 drivers for your motherboard and install them (Your windows updating thing might not be installing the updated drivers)

Also go into your device manager and find your Oculus sensors. Right click, properties, and go to power options. Uncheck the box for the option that says something like "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

Finally, a clean install is a good idea, but backup your game saves

Robbo_Cop
Honored Guest
I found the answer in another thread, the software that came with my Asus motherboard (ROG Maximus Hero VIII) was somehow conflicting with the Oculus software and causing the issue. I uninstalled the software (AI suite III, ROG gamefirst etc) and now everything works like it should.

Huge thanks to the original poster from this thread https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/58073/poor-tracking-quality-audio-glitches-lagging-...

See you all in the rift

Robbo_Cop
Honored Guest
I found the answer in another thread, the software that came with my Asus motherboard (ROG Maximus Hero VIII) was somehow conflicting with the Oculus software and causing the issue. I uninstalled the software (AI suite III, ROG gamefirst etc) and now everything works like it should.

Huge thanks to the original poster from this thread https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/58073/poor-tracking-quality-audio-glitches-lagging-...

See you all in the rift