Medium 1.3.2 Release Notes — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Medium 1.3.2 Release Notes

naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 183 Oculus Staff
edited December 2017 in Oculus Medium

Medium Ver. 1.3.2 Release Notes

New Features:

• Medium is now Dash-compatible.

• Releasing to the Public Test Channel on 12/06/17, Dash gives you access to all of your system software in VR, combining the functionality of Home and Universal Menu. It’s overlaid on top of whatever experience you’re immersed in, and features a launcher, direct access to the store, a virtual desktop solution, and more.

• Dash can now be up while Medium is running, and will have input focus when it is activated.

• If you've opted into Dash and are running on AMD, please note you will see Dash panels rendering over all Medium elements, this will be fixed in a future update.

• Feathering changes

• Scale - Squeezing the trigger with Scale toggled tapers the stroke by scaling the shape scale.

• Thickness - Squeezing the trigger with Thickness toggled tapers the stroke by scaling the shape thickness.

• Intensity - Control how quickly the stroke tapers. Max speed will instantly match trigger pressure.

• New Layer operations

• Subtract - Subtract the clay of selected layers from the active layer.

• Intersect - Leave clay only where selected layers intersect.

• Recent Stamps

• Your 10 most recently-used stamps will be saved at the top of the Stamps panel.

• Stamps is now a collapsible panel that pops up next to the clay tool settings.

Bug Fixes:

• Performance and hitching on low-spec machines caused by threading oversubscription have been greatly improved!

• Fixed a crash around importing mesh assets into the app.

• Fixed a graphical error with AMD eye rendering.

• “Preserve: Reference/ Transform” has been renamed to “Preserve: Transform” and its tooltip has been copy-edited.

Comments

• Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    Performance and hitching on low-spec machines caused by threading oversubscription have been greatly approved! - why on earth would you approve of such a thing? hahaha awesome stuff Medium friends <3
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,695 Valuable Player
    You guys have nailed that pressure curve! Took me ages to figure out what the hell scale/thickness was all about. Didn't help I was using default sphere to test it. Switched to a custom stamp and saw teh light. Guys - thickness is goddamn wicked! :o

Also booleans - awesome! Combine with move tool and texturing goes to a whole new level. I am literally peeing ideas right now!
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    The UI is much better where the stamps are now, great work once again!
  • Fistful_of_ColorsFistful_of_Colors Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    So - if I am getting this correctly, dash will arrive as an update sometime later today for those of us who have enabled the beta option in the Oculus app? Jeez - everytime there is an update from this team it feels like being a kid at christmas again :)
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    So - if I am getting this correctly, dash will arrive as an update sometime later today for those of us who have enabled the beta option in the Oculus app?
    Yeah, that's correct. Then when you hit the little oculus button the Dash will come up instead of the big overlay menu and you'll have all the goodies to play with.
  • MetronsMetrons Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    the recent brushes used i'm VERY excited about. LOVE MEDIUM!!!
  • jpenjpen Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Am I mistaken or is there now way to turn off feathering any more? In previous versions you could toggle it on and off. Now you can only pick scale or thickness but can't turn it off completely. I like having it off most of the time. If there is a way to turn it off how? If not can that be added back in as soon as possible?

I do love being able to have settings and stamps open at the same time. Recent stamps is great too!
    Art3mis
    +1 on the topic of bringing back the option to turn off feathering :)
    Art3mis
    Also: Maybe slightly off topic, but still related to the new release:
    Is there anywhere I can see a walkthrough of how to work with dash? I really want to place windows in my Medium work space while working and copy sculpts from the sculpt dir to the ref mesh import dir - but I cant really figure out how Dash works :)
  • 3d-illusions.co.uk3d-illusions.co.uk Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    There seems to be no way of getting into the mirror settings currently.  Is this broken, or has the method of accessing it changed since the manual was written?
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 775
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    Is there anywhere I can see a walkthrough of how to work with dash? I really want to place windows in my Medium work space while working and copy sculpts from the sculpt dir to the ref mesh import dir - but I cant really figure out how Dash works :)
    While in Medium push the Oculus button to open Dash. On the Dash dashboard click the monitor icon, then select the monitor that your browser window is in. Use the Grab button and Joystick to position and scale the window where you want it, and then enable the Push Pin icon in the bottom-right corner of the window to "pin" it to the virtual space. When you leave Dash, the pinned window will persist in Medium.

Unfortunately, the virtual windows create a translucent overlay effect on Medium models, which makes it difficult to see what you're modeling. The windows also obscure the menus in Medium. So, you can't flood your entire workspace with virtual Dash windows like you can flood your workspace with imported reference images. Hopefully this is a known bug that they'll fix soon. However, I was able to watch Sunday Night Football in a small virtual window that I set off to the side while I was modeling last night.

• DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 775
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    @MattHickman

When the "taper speed" slider is at 100% the clay tool still tapers a little at the beginning and end of the stroke, which is unexpected and undesirable behavior. With the taper button removed, there's now no way to disable tapering entirely. Is this a bug?

On that same note, I don't like that the automatic taper functionality of the clay tool was removed. I was frequently using that function to create convincing teeth, spikes, spines, horns and other cone-like objects very quickly and easily. Any chance of getting this feature back in some form?

Also, 1.3.2 has introduced some severe performance issues, especially with complex models that push the limits of resolution and layer count. For example, it's virtually impossible for me to work on the full res version of my Dragon Mount sculpture. The frame rate becomes very choppy, it probably drops down below 10 FPS. In the previous version of Medium it ran quite smoothly on my hardware. I've also experienced a few glitches and choppiness while modeling relatively simple things in 1.3.2. For the record, I am running Rift Core 2.0 beta.  Are the performance issues possibly due to this? I've attached my DxDiag output if it helps.

Thanks! :)
    Art3mis
    DeadlyJoe said:
    While in Medium push the Oculus button to open Dash. On the Dash dashboard click the monitor icon, then select the monitor that your browser window is in. Use the Grab button and Joystick to position and scale the window where you want it, and then enable the Push Pin icon in the bottom-right corner of the window to "pin" it to the virtual space. When you leave Dash, the pinned window will persist in Medium.

Unfortunately, the virtual windows create a translucent overlay effect on Medium models, which makes it difficult to see what you're modeling. The windows also obscure the menus in Medium. So, you can't flood your entire workspace with virtual Dash windows like you can flood your workspace with imported reference images. Hopefully this is a known bug that they'll fix soon. However, I was able to watch Sunday Night Football in a small virtual window that I set off to the side while I was modeling last night.

Thank you for this! :)
  • CrimsonCatalystCrimsonCatalyst Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    First off. I love this program. Since before I even got the rift o:) Just booted it up today to play around some after this last update and found Feathering to be much changed. Okay thats cool. But there seems to be a hitch.
    • Feathering changes

• Scale - Squeezing the trigger with Scale toggled tapers the stroke by scaling the shape scale.

• Thickness - Squeezing the trigger with Thickness toggled tapers the stroke by scaling the shape thickness.

• Intensity - Control how quickly the stroke tapers. Max speed will instantly match trigger pressure

I have found that no matter what speed. The feathering will only match the trigger pressure. I am not this skilled! heh. Either way. After reading the Dev note. I don't believe this is what you intended. Please fix this?
    I loved making teeth.... and tentacles. So many Cthulhu tentacles!

p.s. I still love you guys