New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Rift 2.0 update - Omg it is beautiful!

Snot_ShotSnot_Shot Posts: 79
Hiro Protagonist
edited December 6 in General
I know there are a lot of "Rift 2.0 update" threads but this is my very first thread ever, so no lynching mmkay! :wink: 
Just wanted to say thank you to Oculus team.
Everything works perfect and no issues whatsoever. Well done guys!

Specs:
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299
System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model    Z97-HD3
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
GPU GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
RAM 16gb

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 2,600 Valuable Player
     I don't think we'll be able to hold back the tide of 2.0 threads so forgiven.... and congrats on your first thread :)
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, Asus X99-Deluxe, oh no my PC died
  • Snot_ShotSnot_Shot Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
     I don't think we'll be able to hold back the tide of 2.0 threads so forgiven.... and congrats on your first thread :)
    Thank you. I just wanted to post this so people can see that update is working and its not doom and gloom as it appears on forums. A lot of people seem to be having problems but I hope after a bit of tinkering and driver updates (Oculus app actually displayed message telling me that I needed latest 30/11/2017 drivers) everything will work.
    Wish you all good luck!
  • reefy86reefy86 Posts: 229
    Nexus 6
    so all those 73 posts it took the rift 2.0 to get you out of your shell  :D
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,424 Valuable Player
    Aye, it's not too bad.  

• KevinakiKevinaki Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    I can't wait until I get home so I can try it out!
    Kevinaki said:

I think it's a limited-time download mate.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 704 Poster of the Week
    Kevinaki said:

I think it's a limited-time download mate.
    Yea first come first serve!
    WAAAGH!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 3,362 Poster of the Week
    Where do you get it or is it just in beta atm?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 838
    3Jane
    RedRizla said:
    Where do you get it or is it just in beta atm?

Beta, sign up for the Public Test Channel from within Oculus.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
    Nexus 6
    If that's the case @Hiro_Protag0nist you'll have to invite me to your Home space if I miss out  :#
    edited December 6
    Kevinaki said:
    If that's the case @Hiro_Protag0nist you'll have to invite me to your Home space if I miss out  :#

If you're not one of the cool kids you can't come in.  Hurry home.

Oculus have almost reached their download limit!
  • shiarishiari Posts: 161
    Art3mis
    Its pretty darn good, just typing this on the virtual keyboard to test that out too.
    shiari said:
    Its pretty darn good, just typing this on the virtual keyboard to test that out too.
    Is that the keyboard that appears in the corner of the desktop? or the VR keyboard thats in front of you? my VR keyword has no keys!
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, Asus X99-Deluxe, oh no my PC died
  • reefy86reefy86 Posts: 229
    Nexus 6
    edited December 6
    Has anyone gone to the notification window and collected your free element? its really good how they have done this :)
    3Jane
    reefy86 said:
    Has anyone gone to the notification window and collected your free element? its really good how they have done this :)

Yes I have, not sure what it was or where it went though LOL.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,432 Power Poster
    edited December 6
    shiari said:
    Is that the keyboard that appears in the corner of the desktop? or the VR keyboard thats in front of you? my VR keyword has no keys!
    Do you have your Windows desktop scale set to something other than 100%? Apparently that can mess up the keyboard.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    3Jane
    Well with the time I got to spend with it today, this is one sweet and fantastic update!! I am loving it!
    Don

nalex66 said:
    shiari said:
    Do you have your Windows desktop scale set to something other than 100%? Apparently that can mess up the keyboard.

Ah yes indeed, I have it at 165%.

Oh well, I won't start changing my desktop settings as it took ages to get them just so, I'd write a script to autochange the DPI scale but it needs a restart/logout to enact the change so wouldn't be ideal.

Hopefully the keyboard will get fixed, thanks nalex!

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,099
    3Jane
    edited December 6
    How do you click on something in Oculus Desktop? I point at an icon with a laser pointer, press the trigger, nothing. A, B, nothing. Left Touch controller instead of Right, nothing. I tried using my actual mouse, doesn't even show up. I then launched Virtual Desktop...holy cow that app has been hosed by this update. Totally non-responsive, flickering, bad.

Edit: OK, after I took off the headset, browsed to here, made the post, I then put the headset back on, brought up Oculus Desktop, and I could interact with the web browser. I then minimized the web browser, and it all works fine.

Nothing to see here, just a beta issue!
  • Kevin_BrookKevin_Brook Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    It's pretty good, I hated it at first as I don't like change and wanted to live forever in my garden in the sky with my fish pond. I thought this would finally allow me to explore my house that I've been looking longily at for four months. But no, they fucking evicted me!!!

Once I'd had a cry and threw the virtual objects in my new house into the sea below in a petty rage I quite enjoyed the customisation options. The console and cartridges serve no practical purpose whatsoever but it's cool to do so I spent 30 minutes setting up a little area by the fireplace where I could sit on my virtual sofa and load games off my coffee table. Of course I did it so it matched my real sofa and coffee table positions perfectly, and it did make me smile.

I'd like some cups and plates to leave lying around for some realistic clutter, maybe a messy bed and dirty underpants on the floor and I'll feel right at home.

Any Oculus staff who read this, do you think more environments will be added, because I want my old hangout back, god damnit! And to be able to live in that house, and feed my fish. And maybe purchase a cat to eat those fish, or a bigger fish. And I'd like my pool to have a water slide down to the houses in the river. And an escalator to get back up again. And an Ex Machine babe to spend time with. No rush, I'm happy to wait for a Christmas day update for all this. Thanks :smile:
  • Kevin_BrookKevin_Brook Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Another positive, location change gripe aside, it all ran flawlessly for me. No bugs or glitches that I noticed at all in the 90 minutes or so I played around with it.
    Nexus 6
    edited December 7
    So... One computer update went through BUT Nvidia driver updates are not installing, uninstalling, nothing... Other computer I didn't have the public beta on BUT it said I had an Oculus Software Update 20 hours ago but it didn't install... My excitement has went away. Many problems to solve. 

Image result for ill be back
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 572
    Neo
    I hope it's not long before we can invite people over to our homes. You can already do that now in Steam Home VR. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,769 Volunteer Moderator
    That minority report interface makes me think of using a PC with an extremely low DPI mouse. So much arm movement.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,277 Power Poster
    kojack said:
    That minority report interface makes me think of using a PC with an extremely low DPI mouse. So much arm movement.

All that arm movement simulates how I looked in Oculus Medium trying to make something other than a Donut
    :'(
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 763 Poster of the Week
    I remember how blown away I was one year ago when I discovered the old Steam Home.

THIS (Oculus Core 2.0)...is just mind-blowingly good. I didn't plan to check on it yet, but did out of curiosity. Still some performance issues...but it's just...wow. You did an amazing job Oculus. You (the team who did this which I think is the same that did First Contact) and also the Valve guys who did The Lab...some of the best VR experiences out there. And this of course even blows the new Steam Home out of the water, and I mean x9000.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 1,760 Poster of the Week
    flexy123 said:
    I remember how blown away I was one year ago when I discovered the old Steam Home.

THIS (Oculus Core 2.0)...is just mind-blowingly good. I didn't plan to check on it yet, but did out of curiosity. Still some performance issues...but it's just...wow. You did an amazing job Oculus. You (the team who did this which I think is the same that did First Contact) and also the Valve guys who did The Lab...some of the best VR experiences out there. And this of course even blows the new Steam Home out of the water, and I mean x9000.

What does this do that's different?  I honestly don't know.  When I first saw core 2.0 my first thought was "Ok, now this looks exactly like the SteamVR thing"  I don't understand what everyone loves about these.  Is it because you have a virtual place you can decorate and invite people to?  I haven't seen any of the desktop stuff yet because I had to uninstall this software since it broke my monitor setup.  Is the virtual home that you can decorate a separate program from Dash?  Is that what steam doesn't have is whatever dash does?  I would like to know why this is 9000x better than steam when they seem to be so similar.  I honestly don't know and want to know why this one is better.  I tried them both and don't really see myself spending much time at all decorating my space or inviting people to come to my make believe home. And on the surface, that's all I see in both SteamVR and Oculus home now.  Oh and it's a good place to launch my games as I always have.
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 200
    Art3mis

All so beautiful and still no managing of install locations across different drives?

I have no interest in "customzing" a software launcher nor using my desktop in the rift or using desktop apps within VR apps. I hope some important stuff gets addressed as well and performance doesnt suffer too much.

3Jane

All so beautiful and still no managing of install locations across different drives?

I agree on that, it is sorely needed and frankly is costing Oculus some game sales from my end. This is a very basic functionality that has been available in most games for several years now.
    Don