New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Micro Stutter only in Headset

lightmare361lightmare361 Posts: 10
NerveGear

This micro stutter only occurs in the headset in random intervals seconds apart when turning the head left or right. Occurs at Oculus Home, ingame, and SteamVr. This hitch is incredibly annoying as it has impede my experience in VR, limiting my time of use. Everything is up to date, the Oculus Client, Windows 10, and Nvidia Drivers.

Things I have tried:

-Restarting the computer

-Closing background applications and monitoring applications.

-Increase cpu priority for Oculus Rift exes.

-Change desktop resolution

-Updated Nvidia GPU drivers to 388.43 (latest)

-Disable power management in USB 3.0s and Rift Sensors.

-Re ran the Complete Rift Setup

-Add additional lighting to room

-Unplug replug in headset

-Swapping 3.0 USB ports

About 2 months ago the Oculus Rift was working flawlessly. Less than 12 hours used in its lifetime. Boxed it up. Now I want to get back into it. And after reinstalling everything and plugging everything back in I get this micro hitch or micro stutter. It ONLY occurs in the headset. My system specs are well beyond the minimum or recommended.

Comments

• TheExitWoundTheExitWound Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Do you perchance have F.Lux installed? If so, set it to 'safe mode'. If set to normal, my system would have microstuttering only in the headset. That's my only suggestion along those lines.
  • lightmare361lightmare361 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Do you perchance have F.Lux installed? If so, set it to 'safe mode'. If set to normal, my system would have microstuttering only in the headset. That's my only suggestion along those lines.
    I ran a search for it on my pc and nothing came up. Also in task manager there isn't anything of that sort running. I also check the uninstall programs list in my control panel and didn't see a F.Lux.
  • UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 237
    Art3mis
    I’m getting the same issue still. Actually for the past few nights it’s been running better but getting jitters every 15-20 seconds when moving objects or turning my head.

Today I downloaded rift core 2.0 and it’s performing so much worse. If I activate desktop it freezes my pc and I have to hard reset which I hate to do. Also when in home I’m getting horrible judder, but if I go to the store it’s really smooth. This is supposed to be a fix for the nvidia drivers??? 
    NerveGear
    edited December 7
    This is definitely something wrong on the Oculus side ever since Home 1.9. It seems you get frame drops due to the newest firmware update that conflicts with Nvidia and Windows 10 updates. Even with low cpu and gpu usage it is definitely Oculus Client side with frame dropping on conflicting software and I am not talking about background applications which can always potentially bottleneck other apps. This is entirely oculus bound issue. I am running i7 7700k with GTX 1060 and 32gb ram w/ ssd. With no applications in the background using heavy cpu or gpu loads. It all started when Oculus experimenting with AWS in their builds that this issue has came to light, after doing a thorough research on the net. We are not beta testers, they need to fix and optimize their build and not just dump some implementation in our damn lap! Even whilst using the debug tool with high fps a slight drop regardless if it is between 90 and 89 fps, that frame drop in itself causes that hitch, thats why it only appears in the headset and not on the monitor of your pc. Im sure they are aware of this. That is also why alot of users have referred to it running flawless before. Damn it Oculus! A remedy to desktop users is to configure their display settings by change parameters like DVI etc. BUT when you have laptops that are "VR ready" you are helpless. 
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 958
    Trinity
    edited December 7
    Headset tracking issue, have you got the inateck pci-e? 
    It may just be an outright tracking issue. Make sure you have your sensors set up correctly and remove any sunlight. 
  • UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 237
    Art3mis
    I do have a PCI-e in my laptop. Am I screwed on this thing for the Rift? I’m also getting usb disconnects as well. It says it’s VR ready and it also has a rift on the picture for this laptop. I was thinking it may be usb 3.0 bandwidth so I just ordered a thunderbolt 3 to usb 3.0 hub.
     On Amazon I asked if this would work for the rift and a customer told me that’s how he gets his script working perfectly on this laptop. I’m hoping that’s the case... 
    NerveGear
    edited December 9
    Headset tracking issue, have you got the inateck pci-e? 
    It may just be an outright tracking issue. Make sure you have your sensors set up correctly and remove any sunlight. 

Tracking issues are fine. I finally resolved it by rerolling back to an old Nvidia driver from September for the GTX 1060. The latest drivers of November and December and the Oculus Rift client absolutely do not like each other. Seriously this issue Oculus and Nvidia need to touch basis, the future of the product will not do well for those with updated drivers and 10 series cards. Its literally painted all over the web with these complaints.
  • SkysolsticeSkysolstice Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited December 13
    I'm getting the same problem on a 980Ti.  If the drivers in September fix this problem, then it should be easy to track and get fixed for nvidia.

Send feedback to nvidia using this form.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driverqualityassurance.html

@UBSERD USB disconnects are a different issue.  Possibly usb power related.

• SkysolsticeSkysolstice Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Yeah, I'm having the same problem on a 980Ti.  Jumps and hitches right when I turn even when there are no frame drops.

Send feedback to Nvidia here to get it fixed http://www.nvidia.com/object/driverqualityassurance.html

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,223 Oculus Staff
    Can you try with this Nvidia driver? 385.69. People have been saying it works better than newer ones.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV