New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Dead Pixel/Scratched area, need help please.

Marc-GMarc-G Posts: 16
NerveGear
Hi,

I had my Rift CV1 exactly a year when the Right Ear Sound stopped working, Customer Support was excellent and eventually it led to a Replacement CV1 being delivered after I sent mine back.
Unfortunately the replacement has a Dead Pixel/Scratched area in the Left Eye (whereas my Original was 100% fine) which is highly visible during gameplay not to mention a major irritation, I have gone to support who have this time let themselves down by not really being helpful at all and just asking for a Picture of the Dead Pixel area. I've explained to them countless times that this is not on the Lens itself but on the display screen inside the CV1, but they say nothing can be done without a Picture and that "Minor visual anomalies are within the Rift's expected range of behavior." which I find totally unacceptable as this replacement is in a worse condition than my Original was.

Anyway, I have tried in vain to take a picture using both my mobile phone & digital camera but alas it does not pick up the dead pixel/scratched area as I cannot go beyond the focus of the Lens (to reiterate it is not a scratch on the lens). Even a hand-held WebCam cannot pick up the anomaly, it really is something that needs to be seen by the naked eye. I downloaded a Dead/Stuck Pixel program and ran through the procedure but that did not fix it either.

So what can I do now? Aside from taking the Headset apart and taking the Lens off to reach the affected area (breaking Warranty no doubt) there's nothing else I can think of, from being blissfully happy with Customer Support I have now swung the other way and am very disappointed not to mention angry that a Unit has been sent out in this condition.

If anyone has any tips, ideas or has been down this route before please help as I'm now stuck in Limbo unable to enjoy VR gaming due to this defect.
Many Thanks,
Marc

Comments

• RoasterRoaster Posts: 915
    3Jane
    Seems you should have the option of sending the unit back for evaluation post pre-paid, but of course that has to come from Oculus. 
    Can you set your camera to manual focus to get the bit you want to see? If you have a DSLR with removable lenses you could maybe try an extension ring set to get macro images or use replacable macro lenses, neither of which are as expensive as a new headset.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • Marc-GMarc-G Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Roaster said:
    Seems you should have the option of sending the unit back for evaluation post pre-paid, but of course that has to come from Oculus. 
    Can you set your camera to manual focus to get the bit you want to see? If you have a DSLR with removable lenses you could maybe try an extension ring set to get macro images or use replacable macro lenses, neither of which are as expensive as a new headset.

They're not even interested in me sending it back, as for DSLR no I don't unfortunately.
  • Marc-GMarc-G Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Is there any official support here please? My e-mails are now going 5days without a response whereas it was almost instant before, this is incredibly frustrating.