cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window pinning in Stand Alone Elite Dangerous

shadowrydr
Protege
I am trying to figure out how to pin a chat window into Elite Dangerous. I do not run Elite from Oculus or from Steam. I run it as a stand alone. Do I have to start ED in Oculus Home to be able to pin my Twitch Chat window in the HDM?

Thanks for any feedback.
Cheers
RJ
Win10 64bit Intel 6 Core i7 5930 3.5GZ-Water cooled/GA-X99 UD4-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz Nvidia 1080 FE 8GB / 840 GB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-
7 REPLIES 7

kojack
MVP
MVP
I just pinned a firefox window (with this thread actually) in the stand alone elite dangerous. You don't need to launch it from oculus home.
Press the oculus button on the right touch, select the monitor on the dash bar (over on the right), pull a window out of the monitor and place it somewhere, then click the little pin icon on the bottom right part of the window. Then press the oculus button again to resume Elite.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

shadowrydr
Protege
koJack,

Thanks. I did finally figure it out. It is now a must have while I stream in VR on Twitch to see the chat.

Cheers
RJ
Win10 64bit Intel 6 Core i7 5930 3.5GZ-Water cooled/GA-X99 UD4-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz Nvidia 1080 FE 8GB / 840 GB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-

kzintzi
Trustee
hey guys, I've not started Elite up yet (seting up my gear is a pain at the moment), but how do the overlay's look? do they cut out portions of the world or do they sit/play nice? hows it look/work? 
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It depends on where you put them. You can put them anywhere in 3D space so it is possible that they'll cut out parts of the HUD depending on where you put it/them.

FlakMagnet
Adventurer

snowdog said:

It depends on where you put them. You can put them anywhere in 3D space so it is possible that they'll cut out parts of the HUD depending on where you put it/them.

And Elite:Dangerous doesn't have direct support for Dash yet, so you can't move and pin a window while your cockpit is visible - you have to switch back and forth using the Oculus button until you are happy with it.

When/if Frontier add Dash support to ED, you will be able to move and pin windows inside your cockpit while it's still visible, which will make it a LOT easier to see what you're blocking.

Mace404
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

And Elite:Dangerous doesn't have direct support for Dash yet, so you can't move and pin a window while your cockpit is visible - you have to switch back and forth using the Oculus button until you are happy with it.

When/if Frontier add Dash support to ED, you will be able to move and pin windows inside your cockpit while it's still visible, which will make it a LOT easier to see what you're blocking.

It does show the game/cockpit while using Dash if you run ED from Oculus Home itself.
There is a little Oculus launcher in ED called ORID.exe responsible for that  😉  

FlakMagnet
Adventurer

Mace404 said:

snowdog said:

It does show the game/cockpit while using Dash if you run ED from Oculus Home itself.
There is a little Oculus launcher in ED called ORID.exe responsible for that  😉  

Agreed, but OP said he runs ED as stand-alone and not form Oculus Home. :smile: