cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would you reccomend, Lone echo, Arizona sunshine, or Onward?

Anonymous
Not applicable
need help trying to decide which game to buy, does anyone have any suggestions.
10 REPLIES 10

daveleack
Protege
Depends what you're after.

I haven't played Onward, but I hear from others that it's good. I also hear that it's a multi-player thing, so you can likely expect to get your money's worth from extended play. (I *do* have Pavlov, and if you ever liked Counter Strike, it's worth a look.)

Arizona Sunshine was a lot of fun, but I didn't go back and play the survival mode after I'd finished it, so I haven't booted it since then. IIRC it took about five hours or so but I can't be absolutely certain. HowLongToBeat has it at 4h 15m average, so that makes sense.
The guns are pretty decent, and the enemies are OK, but I didn't quite get the same *impact* feeling as I did from other titles. The acting (what there is) in Arizona Sunshine I found to be laugh out loud funny on a few occasions and generally very good. Graphics wise, it's fine. Not *stellar* IMHO, but really good.

Lone Echo is an absolute gem. If you're at all interested in Sci-Fi style adventure gaming, it's a no brainer. Being Echo One, floating around with your metal arms, overcoming obstacles and figuring out what's going on, it's all just crazy good fun (if you're a massive nerd like me). The control mechanic is bloody great. Pulling yourself around in zero-g is almost perfect. There's only one bit missing (grab and rotate), but honestly, it's the best zero-g locomotion, and indeed IK, I've seen. I've played Lone Echo through three times now. Each getting faster but still finding more things to look at, read, listen to etc. First play through took about six hours, second was about five, third about the same.

The voice work in Lone Echo is absolutely top notch and the animations are fantastic. The graphics are really great, but you should check out the recommended specs, because it can be a *beast* to run on high detail with SS on.

Lone Echo links in with the multiplayer Echo Arena (Ender's Game with frisbees), but I don't play that much at all (partly because I absolutely suck at it).

I always make sure to show visitors Lone Echo if I can because it's just so damned cool.

You can probably tell from this that I'd recommend Lone Echo above the other two, *but* there are a couple of caveats:
1. You must like single player adventure style gaming (with some action sequences)
2. You must not get sick rolling around in zero-g

If you meet those requirements, get your metal ass to space 😄

If not, and you want to mash up some zombies, Arizona Sunshine *is* good.

If neither of those things are quite right, and you really like multiplayer stuff, grab Onward.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Well you've picked 3 rather different games there, and I'm guessing you would enjoy all 3, otherwise you wouldn't have picked them.

My personal preference would be Lone Echo though. A superb VR showcase and a great game to boot. Also comes with a separate zero grav sports MP game.

Arizona Sunshine. Your typical shoot zombies in the head, but probably the best one out for VR still, and you can play with your mates through the single player campaign in co-op. I like the interactivity it has, like being able to open car doors and cupboards and draws etc to find loot.

Onward I haven't tried, but think ARMA style MP shooter. Personally I prefer my multiplayer shenanigans to be co-op these days. If they make a good co-op mode, I'd probably give it a try. Has it got one already? I haven't looked at it for a while.

I expect you'll end up buying all 3 eventually anyway, so consider this more of a "which shall I play first" list.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
If you like slow paced tactical multiplayer shooters, then you'll like Onward I think. It isn't one of my favorites (I prefer SP, which it is almost devoid of) but it is certainly popular. Graphically it looks absolutely ancient (late 1990's maybe) but the gameplay is there.

I think Arizona Sunshine was the first of the free locomotion single player shooters in VR. I don't think it's a bad game but it is a bit bland. It only has your basic vanilla zombie and not much else. Level design is ok though. Graphically, it falls far short of modern graphics though it isn't as dated looking as Onward. As with Onward, I can recommend it for now due to there being few better options, though there are some.

Never played Lone Echo, not my kind of game so can't comment.

Given your list, I also suggest taking a look at Dead Effect 2 VR on steam. It's a fairly generic first person space marine shooter with obligatory zombies + mutant dogs + enemy space marines, but it pulls it off well. Graphically it's on par with RoboRecall. Like Arizona Sunshine, it offers a coop mode that I've never tried. Allegedly it works well.

There is also Doom VFR on steam, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone recommend that one. Fallout 4 VR will be released Monday, hard to say how that will turn out, but worth keeping in mind.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
I have Arizona Sunshine and it is ok.. but hmm I dont know.. maybe one of the others. 

Luciferous
Consultant
Boy that is a choice:-

1. Lone Echo is amazing, a real bench mark for VR. The immersion, story, graphics, control schemes are just genius. If only all companies could embrace VR like they did in this game. Of course once over there is not much replay value as its mainly a story / puzzle solving driven game but wow what a story.

Although if you want to blow peoples socks off as what is possible in VR this game is a must have.

2. Arizona Sunshine - I loved this game, another VR success story where the designers really listened to feedback from the community. It started as teleport only but later free movement was added. The orange hued Arizona environment is very well implemented and draws you into this post apocalyptic world.

If you love zombie movies and games this is top notch stuff. No melee though but I think it would have changed the games feel if it had. Hoping for that if they release another in the series. I have played this game 4 times through and still love it. Another great game to wow people with.

3.Onward - Onward is a great multiplayer game and again shows the possibility VR in its own category. Still a bit rough around the edges though but is updated regularly. Replay value is endless if you like multiplayer experiences (there is a simple single player experience) although there are not many maps at the moment and as mentioned before the graphics are old and spoils the realism.

You need a bit of space to play this game and this is what puts me off. Plus I play late at night and the first time I played this I ended up waking the whole house talking to people loudly.

If I had to pick I would select :

1. Lone Echo 
2. Arizona Sunshine
3. Onward

But all three are must have purchases in my opinion.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I ultimately ended up going with Lone Echo and I'm enjoying it soo much. It is seriously one of the coolest vr experiences that I've had to date.

DarkTenka
Trustee
Lone Echo - If you like Story with interesting locomotion mechanics but nothing to kill then this is your jam. No enemies .. just a solid space exploration story. Comes with Echo Arena, which is a multiplayer "Zero-G sports" game highly inspired by scenes from the movie Ender's Game.

Arizona Sunshine - Story is ok, not as good as Lone Echo .. but plenty of stuff to kill, teleport/free locomotion supported. Mainly single player and co-op experience.

Onward - Competitive and realistic military sim. Slower and more methodical than "Call of Duty or Counter Strike" .. closer to something like America's Army if you've ever played that. Online/Competitive multiplayer only.

If you really wanna shoot other players, go Onward. If you really wanna shoot stuff but arent interested in online competetive, go Arizona. Otherwise Lone Echo is probably the best all-round experience for both single player and multiplayer (with Echo Arena).

HiThere_
Superstar

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I ultimately ended up going with Lone Echo and I'm enjoying it soo much. It is seriously one of the coolest vr experiences that I've had to date.

I'll add an answer anyway, because those games are all top notch so the answer was easy : They are so different from each other you just needed to pick the one that best matches your own taste, without having to worry about how well they compare with each other.

danknugz
Superstar
if you prefer the IV drip of adrenaline and dopamine, go with Onward
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?