cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRServer_x64.exe 202883-public, and OVRServer_x64.exe running in the background all the time

lpine0424
Explorer
I understand stopping this through services but why doesn't it stop on its own when your done with a VR session? I have a capped 50GB home internet connection, yes its satellite. Like over 30 million American's, there is no other option for internet available where I live, so we make due.  Its been playing perfectly and is SO MUCH FUN..except for the data usage that is happening even when I'm not playing.  Even small amounts add up over time and unfortunately my data cap is a hard one, when I run out, there will be no internet access for me the rest of that billing cycle so I have to be super careful.  I have 50GB of "bonus time" they call it that is from 2am to 8am and that is when I download the games I want or any updates for any programs I have. I love this Oculus Rift and have so much fun with it but I can't have it using data all the time.  I shut the service down and then most of the time I have to run the repair software afterwards to use it again, which doesn't use the already existing downloaded software, it re-installs the software over the internet, once again using data.  Please consider those of us who have very limited internet usage, we love your products too, but we can't up and sell our houses just to move into an area that has broadband access. Nor would I, I love the mountains and the lake here. And it works for me...except for this issue. Any tips, advice, are very welcome.  I hope to hear ways of dealing with this from other users that I can incorporate here.  Thanks in advance! 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

SharkkAttaxx
Honored Guest
just close the app. DUH........ LOL

lpine0424
Explorer
As customer service stated...Oculus needs this to be running.  Instability issues have occurred when it is stopped and started, which is what I was concerned about in my question.  Does it have to be running? I am quite capable of ending the service, which runs even when the APP is closed BTW...it runs constantly, 24/7.  But thank you for the non answer.  I've been a server admin for many years.  This service does NOT stop upon closing the app in any way.  Its a background service that uses data continuously.  It is a factor for anyone considering this to take into account that has data caps.  I suppose I should delete the original question now due to having the answers I need, your's was not one of them.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you get Oculus Tray Tool (third-party software not actually from Oculus) there is a way to stop and start the service in there. That's the best way I can think of.

MadMax1998
Adventurer
You don't necessarily need to fully stop the service, but what you really should do is go into Oculus Home > General and turn off automatic app updating. This is what will eat Internet data through the service in the background; the apps are updated even when Home is closed. Turn the option off -- no more backgorund downloading.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?