New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Fallout 4 VR is Here. Free locomotion is an option

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,200 Volunteer Moderator
    Well, I haven't had much luck with tweaking the controls. I did try remapping the grip and X/A buttons with OpenVR Input Emulator, but the stick deadzone is still an issue, in that pushing the grip button to interact only works when the stick is out of its deadzone. I didn't find a setting in the ini files to eliminate the deadzone, but at least knowing it exists, its easier to play with the default control scheme. Menus are still a pig to navigate.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    I would love to play fallout 4 in vr but from what I read it's not worth the trouble  until it's optimized for the rift. Then I'm in.
    I'm going to be on vacation which is a good thing. It gives them time to patch this. 

I must say Bethesda has done a horrible job with these releases. But they have a history of making great games that are full of bugs until they patch them. 

Does anyone know if Fallout 4 VR can be modded like any Bethesda game?
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,129 Valuable Player
    edited December 2017
    btw I read this this morning, legally questionable i guess but it hints that as suspected, bethesda are hugely double dipping on what is just a simple mod the likes of which many fans have done better and for free. Also meant to run the dlc in vr too.

They just sold a mod for $60 bucks. 88MB file size. :: Fallout 4 VR General Discussions

if true, surely this should have been a paid DLC to the core game.

also according to folk on steam, if you drag and drop your non VR game DLC into fallout4 VR it also works just fine.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 807
    3Jane
    I'm not surprised tbh. I've put further play on  hold until a better control system is in place though, whether it be official or a user mod.
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited December 2017
    While I'm not yet convinced that the amount of work that went into Fallout 4 VR (or DooM VFR for that matter) is worth the amount they are asking ... It's not a good idea to judge the content or the amount of work that went into something based on size of the files.

Most of the additions to FO4VR come in the form of code .. not graphical/audio assets. Code uses up literally fuck all space, in fact if that is actually 88 mb of "just" code .. then that might actually be an insane amount of content. There are a few assets that are added though, most notably the melee hands, and that would probably contribute a significant portion of it.

Point being, you're paying for them to work on something and make it into VR, when you consider what needs to be added to it .. its really just a hell of a lot of code .. maybe 1 or 2 assets to support the VR perspective. That can still potentially add up to the amount of hours/manpower spent to make it. The fact that it adds up to very little in file size is not surprising in the least.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,129 Valuable Player
    edited December 2017
    KillCard said:
    While I'm not yet convinced that the amount of work that went into Fallout 4 VR (or DooM VFR for that matter) is worth the amount they are asking ... It's not a good idea to judge the content or the amount of work that went into something based on size of the files.

Most of the additions to FO4VR come in the form of code .. not graphical/audio assets. Code uses up literally fuck all space, in fact if that is actually 88 mb of "just" code .. then that might actually be an insane amount of content. There are a few assets that are added though, most notably the melee hands, and that would probably contribute a significant portion of it.

Point being, you're paying for them to work on something and make it into VR, when you consider what needs to be added to it .. its really just a hell of a lot of code .. maybe 1 or 2 assets to support the VR perspective. That can still potentially add up to the amount of hours/manpower spent to make it. The fact that it adds up to very little in file size is not surprising in the least.
    oh sure i agree, and the post i linked to was not mine. You should not judge it purly on download size.
    but given all the issues with it, and given it works with the base (non vr game) via drag and drop, and given it works with the DLC as well (apparently) and that we have seen really good VR implementations with less issues done by hobbyests.

I dont think it is a huge leap to conclude that this is looking like a cash grab mod and not a $60 new VR title  of a classic game.......

but even after saying all that, the point of me posting was more as a general interest post anyway...... personal views on whether its a cash grab or not aside i think it is interesting that you can get the base game AND DLC working in VR if you want.

doom i have no issue with. it was £10 on amazon before launch, which from what i have heard (i didnt get as am not buying a game without official oculus rift support) is a fair price
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    KillCard said:

oh sure i agree, and the post i linked to was not mine. You should not judge it purly on download size.
    but given all the issues with it, and given it works with the base (non vr game) via drag and drop, and given it works with the DLC as well (apparently) and that we have seen really good VR implementations with less issues done by hobbyests.

I dont think it is a huge leap to conclude that this is looking like a cash grab mod and not a $60 new VR title  of a classic game.......

but even after saying all that, the point of me posting was more as a general interest post anyway...... personal views on whether its a cash grab or not aside i think it is interesting that you can get the base game AND DLC working in VR if you want.
    Fair enough .. yea I clicked the link and read most of the contents of that thread and forgot to actually read YOUR post. Sorry.

I more or less agree, this probably could have more reasonably been a paid DLC than a full game.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,926 Valuable Player
    Do you have to play through all the other Fallouts before playing Fallout4? Is there a story that follows on from the others or can you just play Fallout 4? 
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    No, every modern-ish fallout game has a completely self contained story. Fallout 4 only shares a single character with Fallout 3 that I know of, and it's more of an easter egg than anything significant to the story.
  • NurgleChaosNurgleChaos Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited December 2017
    Just found this to fix the map usage. http://steamcommunity.com/app/611660/discussions/0/1500126447407383507/

so thanks to Reckless

It says

Oculus Rift Map movement FIX
    I change "Map Pan Speed" to make the map more usable for the Oculus rift.

Go to Documents "my games\Fallout4VR"
    Open: Fallout4VrCustom.ini
    Search for: fTouchpadMapPanSpeed=30
    Edit to: fTouchpadMapPanSpeed=100

And yes it works bit sensitive but I can access all the map now.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,926 Valuable Player
    edited December 2017
    @KillCard - I watched that YouTube video you put up here. Quick question - How do you increase the size of the player in the blue T-shirt in the video? He's appears way to small to compared to his surrounding in the game..
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,327
    Project 2501
    Zenbane said:
    Graphically, it isn't as blurry as people are saying. It certainly isn't the prettiest VR game, but then again 99% of games on Oculus Home meet that same description.

Stopped reading there. Terrible analysis. 99% of my Oculus Library entails the prettiest VR games available based on the standard set between OH and SteamVR.

As for expectations... read what people said about both Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR before release: They were supposed to be the first true AAA VR experiences. They've both turned out to be alpha/beta experiences at best. Expectations were set, and these games failed to meet them in epic ways even for their target audience (HTC Vive users).

If you judged Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR as harshly as you try to judge the Rift and OH, then you'd be forced to admit that both of those games are utter crap. Instead you choose to lower your standards when discussing those games; exhibiting a rather impressive dedication to double-standards.

KillCard said:
    How are you guys saying this is playable? .. you realise this is an RPG right? .. the moment you need to level up or use your inventory you're straight fucked.

In-game controls are fine .. you can point/shoot .. hands are correct orientation etc and you can walk about the wilderness just fine. But the moment you need to use a menu (remember this is Fallout) .. it is literally impossible to navigate correctly. You have to press up on both sticks to get to the top .. then hold up on one stick hold down on another .. then let go of one and half push the other .. and then you MIGHT have a chance of landing on the option you wish to use. 

Much better analysis. It seems Doom VFR was a better VR title at launch, which isn't saying much.

I'm sure a few patches later will help Fallout 4 VR. But in the end, both Doom and Fallout for VR failed to be the "AAA VR" saviors that so many people predicted and hoped for.

I have to totally agree with Zenbane on this one, I too think both games have been a disaster, had to refund Doom VFR straight away because it was completely 100% unplayable on the Rift, mainly because the hands were bent inwards and zero touch controls support. But also loads of issues with tracking, sound, crashes etc.

Some people are saying "oh wow we can have free loco now with community mod" but so what? How does that make any difference at all if the hands are bent inwards and you can't aim? and no touch support? Doesn't make any sense.

I'm avoiding both games until a patch comes out that fixes all these issues. I'd strongly advise everyone to do the same.

These are the worst attempts at VR I've ever witnessed, complete waste of time. It's like they didn't even try.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,853 Valuable Player
    edited December 2017
    btw I read this this morning, legally questionable i guess but it hints that as suspected, bethesda are hugely double dipping on what is just a simple mod the likes of which many fans have done better and for free. Also meant to run the dlc in vr too.

They just sold a mod for $60 bucks. 88MB file size. :: Fallout 4 VR General Discussions

if true, surely this should have been a paid DLC to the core game.

also according to folk on steam, if you drag and drop your non VR game DLC into fallout4 VR it also works just fine.

Warms my heart to see this stuff. I mean... it's unfortunate the way Doom and Fallout turned out in VR. However, I remember reading all those posts between here and Facebook about how these "AAA VR Games" were going to show Facebook/Oculus how a real VR title is released. Even some of our very own (favorite) forum trawlers were like, "these will be the games to beat."

I wonder if going forward in to 2018, folks will finally learn to stop counting their chickens before they hatch? Likely not.

Entertaining nonetheless. I have about 3 VR games to beat, hopefully, before Oculus' Marvel game hits our virtual shelves.

I wouldn't touch Doom or Fallout VR with snowdog's HMD, ShadowMasks' hand-controllers, and vannagirl doing the clicking. Na' mean?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Yup, this is definitely not the "killer app" ultimate VR game. The one-man Doom 3 BFG VR mod feels more polished than the current version of Fallout 4 VR. They could have done so much more to make this feel like a real VR game rather than a quick tacked-on VR mode.

That said, I still love the world of Fallout 4, and exploring it in VR is still an exciting prospect, so I'll continue to muck about with the game and hope that we eventually get more usable controls (whether patched in officially or provided by an enterprising modder).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Project 2501
    edited December 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    Oh dear Zenbane. Fallout4 VR sold over 38,000 copies at launch making it the best launch title ever for VR.

The resolution was fixed within 12 hours.

Howcome no touch support at launch?

And should we be scared for Skyrim? 2 out of 3 have failed and tbh I was more looking forward to Skyrim then those 2 so now I am worried!

When is Skyrim coming out?

And when do you think they will release full touch support for all three games?

Why do you think they have done this? Wouldn't that 38,000 copies sold me more like 60,000 copies sold if they had simply spent a couple of extra days and a bit more effort to offer touch support at launch? Why would you offer one but not the other, all games in VR should be designed for Rift/Vive, they're the only two HMD's worth talking about right now.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 288
    Nexus 6
    I must admit that despite the bugs, I'm enjoying Fallout in VR lol. It definitely takes me 10 minutes longer than it should for me to switch weapons...but that won't stop me 0.0
    edited December 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    Fallout4 VR sold over 38,000 copies at launch making it the best launch title ever for VR.

You are ignoring a large collection of ridicule and bad reviews by Vive owners in order to pretend that Fallout 4 VR is "the best launch title." It may be the best launch title for Vive owners, but it's not the best title ever for VR. Not by a longshot.

Atmos73 said:
    Zenbane loves it. 

I do love seeing more of your predictions fall flat. You thought that Doom and Fallout VR would be "the games to beat" and instead they become the flops of the VR gaming indstury lol
    Project 2501
    Atmos73 said:

2018 is the Oculus apocalypse.

LOL, now I know your bating Zenbane for a long drawn out argument! haha

I don't think Oculus/Facebook will fail mate, they're doing good. I want both HMD's to do well anyways! :) We need two to compete, like Nvidia vs AMD, and Microsoft vs Apple!
    edited December 2017
    Calmfixup said:
    I must admit that despite the bugs, I'm enjoying Fallout in VR lol. It definitely takes me 10 minutes longer than it should for me to switch weapons...but that won't stop me 0.0
    Do yourself a favour and switch your Pipboy to either In Front or Projection. It's cool to see your Pipboy on your invisible wrist for a few minutes, but it's not very usable, and it doesn't freeze time when you use it on your wrist, but it does for the other two modes. I don't bother trying to use the abysmal Favorites menu (now that I think of it, I don't ever use it in regular Fallout 4 either). Just pull up your Pipboy and switch weapons there instead. With these janky controls, you'll get yourself killed trying to use any menus in real-time.
    3Jane
    Given the Vive is an inferior but more expensive VR setup (worse controllers and screens, costs $600 instead of $400), I wouldn't tout the Vive too much. It has a lot of leftover users from the days when the Rift lacked touch controllers but that's about it from what I can see. The real battle now is between the dirt cheap WMR headsets, the mid-priced Rift and the more premium but more expensive and still somewhat buggy Samsung Odyssey. Also, that $200 price is a special at the microsoft store, everyone else is still asking $400 for them. I don't expect that price to last long, though $300 seems likely given they don't stand up well against the Rift or Odyssey.

Back on topic, FO4 VR sold a ton of copies, hence it was a success as far as Zenimax is concerned. For us users, yeah, it really isn't the greatest. You have to really love FO4 to deal with all the flaws of FO4 VR and though us Rift users have a harder time with it, Vive users don't seem overly enthusiastic either. The game is in rough shape but is fixable.
    edited December 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    Buts face it Oculus are going to have to sink millions into a single title to get anywhere near FO4 in terms of open worldness. They just don’t have games at hand to port over.

Fallout 4 VR is a failed Port and essentially a bad VR DLC. It's nothing to compete with.

Atmos73 said:
    Buts face it Oculus are going to have to sink millions into a single title to get anywhere near FO4 in terms of open worldness. They just don’t have games at hand to port over.

It would be foolish for anyone to look at the failure of Fallout 4 VR and then try to invest "millions" to compete with it. Facebook didn't force HTC in to submission and a buyout by Google by being easily fooled with failed parlor tricks.

Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR were desperate attempts to compete with the Oculus Exclusives and Facebook's overall dominance in VR with both hardware and software. Unfortunately, just like Room-Scale and Wand controllers failed to make a difference due to their highly premature nature, these titles also failed to meet the "AAA VR title" standard that so many people blindly advocated.

Atmos73 said:
    So Zenbane what Oculus title beats FO4 for depth, longevity?

We don't need an Oculus exclusive for that type of example. Pinball FX VR has a longer shelf life than Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR combined lol

Atmos73 said:
    I’m sorry Zenband but Steam and Vive are top of the VR tree now and we haven’t even got to Knuckles

Premature victories are what lead to HTC's buyout; and all your misplaced praises of these titles won't change the fact that the rest of the world sees them as major let-downs and failed VR launches. Steam and Vive aren't on any tree, they are stuck in a Swamp. And as you said... still no Knuckles so Vive users are forced to play terrible games with trackpads. It doesn't get any worse for those who failed to invest in a proper quality VR kit.

Atmos73 said:
    The house of cards Facebook built is crashing down around you but you just refuse to see it and more money and more exclusive won’t save it.

HTC sold to Google and left to China while Facebook is releasing major updates to Oculus Home, 2 more VR kits are coming in 2018, and more software titles are being released.

You don't seem to understand what "crashing down" means.

Atmos73 said:
    The VR war is all but over Valve have capsulated the market. Oculus can but watch as every front is lost. 

Some impressive delusions going on with that strange statement. If any of that were true then you wouldn't need to trawl so hard. None of what you say has ever been true, which is why instead of being able to point at facts... you simply type hyperbole ad nauseum. Facts speak for themselves, and you ignore them at every turn in order to make these highly fictitious remarks.

Atmos73 said:

LOL, now I know your bating Zenbane for a long drawn out argument! haha

hah - indeed. Although I am happy to respectfully and formally rise to the callout.

Dear Mr. @Atmos73: If you truly believe that 2018 is the Oculus apocalypse, as you just claimed publicly, then I formally challenge you to a toxx!
    :#

toxx clause
    A rule originating on the Something Awful message boards that calls for the banning of a member who does not follow his own proclamation. These proclamations are typically in the form of "If X happens, I will do Y." The person who posts the claim is asked to follow through with his promised act or be banned for lying.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=toxx clause

The wager:

One of us departs from this forum for the entire year of 2019.

Here is how it works:
    • If by December 31st 2018 Oculus has not gone away completely (apocalypse) then you must voluntarily leave the forum from January 1st 2019 through December 31 2019.
    • If, however, Oculus does go away completely in 2018, then I will voluntarily depart from the forum for the exact same time frame (1/1/2019 - 12/31/2019).
    • If either of us fail to do so, then we both give permission to the Forum Moderators to Perma-Ban us for lying.

Do you accept the Toxx? Or are you too afraid to stand by your claims?
    >:)
    Atmos73 said:
    Apocalypse does not mean something disappears entirely.

Define the terms of the "Oculus Apocalypse" in the way that you've decided to best understand it.

Then we can toxx
    B)
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    waiting for sale, i still never plated arizona sunshine or obduction and i bought those a year ago

on fallout 4 for xbox one i played through it twice (forget the reason why, maybe cause i missed some achivements), bought all the dlc and had to play nuka world twice cause of a god damn game save ending bug that prevented finishing the story, also was up to something like level 530 so pretty fallout4’d out
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    If you can drag and drop the DLC from the main FO4 into FO4VR, would it be funny if you can just drap and drop the FO4VR into the main FO4 and it works there too
  • SadGamerDadSadGamerDad Posts: 327
    Trinity
    Atmos73 said:
    @SadGamerDad did you make that video before or after Valve fixed the resolution on SteamVR Beta?
    Release day on the 11th
  • JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 160
    Art3mis
    This is awesome!  Please ignore my question to you on the other thread.
    edited December 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    Ok Oculus going from 49% market share and dropping below 25% on Steam Survey by the end of 2018 for me would mean an Apocalypse. Ultimately it would mean Oculus had totally lost the PC market where we all started with our DKs and switched focus to Mobile.

What say you?

I'm not necessarily opposed to this, but what you have done is switch from "Oculus Apocalypse" to "Oculus PCVR Apocalypse." Plus, you are using Steam itself instead of the entire VR Market.

What if Oculus drops below 25% on Steam VR but gains 90% of the VR Market Globally including Rift sales? That would mean that they dominate PCVR but Steam itself was abandoned (Steam Apocalypse).

So it would have to be two things:
    1. Oculus drops below 25% on Steam
    2. Oculus drops below 25% on the Global VR Market

Here's the Global VR Market stats:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/499714/global-virtual-reality-gaming-sales-revenue/

If you're not comfortable with 25% on the Global VR Market wager, we can go up a little bit.
    ;)

3Jane
    Those are projections from 2015, they aren't real stats.